Rules Stealth Rule Change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tap it to yourself, yes. But tap/get under it it with an open hand to some one running past, throw. You use to have to punch it which is a lot harder to execute.

Open handed taps were always allowed, you just weren't allowed to scoop the ball up to any great degree, or carry it in the hand for more than a split second. As you mentioned yourself, they are an extension of the tap action in a ruck contest.

Would be pretty odd to allow an action in one aspect of play, only to deny it in another.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Open handed taps were always allowed, you just weren't allowed to scoop the ball up to any great degree, or carry it in the hand for more than a split second. As you mentioned yourself, they are an extension of the tap action in a ruck contest.

Would be pretty odd to allow an action in one aspect of play, only to deny it in another.
A ruck tap is a vertical hand, they now allow paddles of a horizontal hand to another player and I recon it was deemed a throw in the past. It’s similar to the hand ball throws, as long as the ball is moving the rules have been relaxed.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Tap it to yourself, yes. But tap/get under it it with an open hand to some one running past, throw. You use to have to punch it which is a lot harder to execute.

It’s like holding the ball though, if the ball comes loose the umpires don’t care as the afl has give the direction of ball movement at all cost.

Stoppages are the devil, frustrating fans with bullshit 50m & confusing rules? No comment.

When you say tapping he ball to someone running past was previously a throw….when was this? In the last 50 years I am 100% confident this has never been the case. When did you notice a change?

HugeJohnson

Just hanging out
Apr 25, 2009
Some point in space and time
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Pittonet just dropped the ball. Another action that's become so common that it hardly bares mentioning. Here's where I mentioned it previously.

What's your point? This isn't a Carlton vs Port disposal thread. Look at the OP, it was in the Richmond v Saints game.
I understand it isn't a Port V Carlton thing, I'm sure there's examples of Port players getting away with it too, this one just stood out to me. I just reckon its worse when a player can now just drop the ball during a tackle than the Butters example where he at least tries to make it look like a handball. Whatever happened to incorrect disposal? It was only last year umpires were paying frees for 'dropping the ball'

I understand it isn't a Port V Carlton thing, I'm sure there's examples of Port players getting away with it too, this one just stood out to me. I just reckon its worse when a player can now just drop the ball during a tackle than the Butters example where he at least tries to make it look like a handball. Whatever happened to incorrect disposal? It was only last year umpires were paying frees for 'dropping the ball'
That's all well and good. But this thread is primarily about the "toss + fist tap" disposal that is now becoming completely acceptable and will soon replace a genuine handball as a player's preferred disposal by hand method.

That I saw and highlighted the Butters example is purely conincidental. If it had been a Carlton player, I would have happily highlighted them too.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's all well and good. But this thread is primarily about the "toss + fist tap" disposal that is now becoming completely acceptable and will soon replace a genuine handball as a player's preferred disposal by hand method.
Its been acceptable for years. Did you just get eye surgery this year or something?

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
If I remember correctly, the original rule defining a handpass is that "the ball must be punched from the holding hand by a fist from the non-holding hand", not that "the ball can be blatantly thrown by the holding hand hand with incidental contact by a fist from the non-holding hand".
This has been happening for at least 15 years.

It's the one change to the sport I wish the AFL would make - bring back the handball in its intended form. No more underhanded throws with the briefest touch of a fist. Make it 100% fist to move the ball.

Its been acceptable for years. Did you just get eye surgery this year or something?

This has been happening for at least 15 years.

It's the one change to the sport I wish the AFL would make - bring back the handball in its intended form. No more underhanded throws with the briefest touch of a fist. Make it 100% fist to move the ball.
The two extreme examples that I've shown in this thread haven't been accepted for 15 years. Milder versions, where the ball traveled a few metres, yes. But not when it's been thrown a full 10 - 15 metres, and completely orthogonal to the direction that the fist was traveling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back