Traded Stefan Martin (2012-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, Stefan's best year for the Demons was when he was playing as the primary ruck. Many Demons fans would have preferred to keep him if he was playing in that position.

We saw a pretty significant improvement when he got onto the field at the Gabba :thumbsu: ( a bit like Crisp at the 'pies :thumbsdown:)
Can't speak for Melbourne fans but I don't recall hearing of too many being upset that he was traded. He had one good year as you say (2011) but apart from that was seen as underperforming. His last year and a half have been far superior to anything he produced at Melbourne, even in 2011. Fair to say we gave him a lifeline - there weren't too many other teams lining up for his services and it has worked out very well for both parties.

Of course it wouldnt be beyond a club like Hawks, Richmond or North to offer him a Godfather deal to have a solid Ruck for their finals. Richmond especially, Maric has gone backwards faster than a guy finding out the girl on Tinder is his sister.

If true his girlfriend wants to move south to further her acting career, then I say let her go! His career his just as important as hers, and if he's happy with us, then she is being selfish to expect him to move.

Surely they can have a long distance romance....been done plenty of times by people pursuing individual careers. If it's meant to last and they want it to last, it will, they'll find a way.

If true his girlfriend wants to move south to further her acting career, then I say let her go! His career his just as important as hers, and if he's happy with us, then she is being selfish to expect him to move.

Surely they can have a long distance romance....been done plenty of times by people pursuing individual careers. If it's meant to last and they want it to last, it will, they'll find a way.

Well you see that isn't how love works. Plus Martin can get a job in Melbourne if the situation is right so I can see why he is not sure what is on the cards for him.

Well his career is nearly over so its not exactly apples to oranges. Also his girlfriend is hot I'm sure he wants to tap that every night instead of looking at her through skype.

Player Reviews: Part Three

A winner of this year’s Merrett-Murray Medal, Martin has been regarded as one of the League’s best big men over the past 12 months, averaging 32.5 hit outs and 21 disposals from 20 matches in 2015 (missing two games due to suspension). The league’s most outstanding ruckman in Round 23, Martin was dominant both at stoppages and around the ground with 50 hit-outs and 32 possessions. He had an equal team-high eight clearances and seven inside 50s in a complete performance. His consistency across the year (playing for the majority of the season as the Lions’ sole ruckman) has earned Martin the respect of the Club and fans alike.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin Re-Signs

Stefan Martin has signed a three-year contract extension, representing a huge vote of confidence in the Brisbane Lions' future.

The champion ruckman, a joint-winner of this year's Merrett-Murray Medal, had been contracted to the end of the 2016 season - and has now committed to the Club until at least the end of 2019.

Lions ruckman Stefan Martin balances life with football

You could call it the go-away factor. Brisbane Lions ruckman Stefan Martin, who had begun his career with Melbourne, was settled in his new home and enjoying a career-best run of form that saw him claim his first best and fairest award (shared with Dayne Beams, Dayne Zorko and Mitch Robinson).

And yet, he looked to be on the move. The Western Bulldogs, whom Martin had taken apart in round 22, were potential suitors. Essendon, too. And so was Hollywood – the preferred long-term destination of Martin's partner, aspiring actor Madeline Ryan, who was on the hunt for new opportunities in a bigger city.

Martin was faced with a dilemma, wanting to accommodate the ambitions of his partner while finding a way to finish his career at the club where he had finally found himself as a footballer.

"She's a Brissie girl, so it's sort of ironic that she might be pulled to other cities, and I'm not from here, and I'm the one wanting to stick around," he said.

Martin should pursue an acting career (when his football career is over). He has the perfect build to play two of my favourites characters from literature - Jack Reacher and Unthred of the Last Kingdom. Two great characters currently being played by short skinny actors.

Interchange cap 'will make it a lot harder' for Lion Martin

At 29, Martin is getting better with age, but says reducing the interchange cap from 120 to 90 could have a big impact.

"It will make it a lot harder," he said.

"Last year if Leuey (Matthew Leuenberger) wasn't there I tended to play 95 percent game time anyway, so I've had a fair bit of exposure to it.

"It may be tough over 20 games to keep backing up that sort of game time."

Stef Martin injured in Brisbane Lions intra-club match, Josh Schache turns heads, Rockliff and Beams rested

STAR ruckman Stef Martin sent a scare through the Lions camp at today’s intra-club match with the bloodied Brisbane big man requiring medical attention for a nasty head cut.

Martin required eight stitches to his forehead after blood streamed down his face during the spirited hitout at Yeronga.

He was taken into the rooms for treatment and returned to the action with a heavily taped head.

37d0b7d111bc47947d24ef1dfaf73359

To be honest, just posting the story so I have an excuse to post this photo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back