Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a problem.

Masten, Jetta, Hurn, Kennedy and Naitanui will all be on less or retiring in 1-2 years.

Club hasnt paid silly money to retain multiple stars.

And they wont pay silly money to Cogs or Kelly. Good money but not silly money.
The last 3 will hurt big

Neither will be Kennedy worthy

Thats Darlings job in the five years post JK retiring.

With the new 666 rule that may just extend JKs career. They certainly put him in cotton wool over the off season.

Williams actually looks like a good forward prospect as well. Takes a really good mark and the leap on him is impressive.

So no shortage of quality talls to follow the great mana legacy.

After Hawkins what has Geelong got coming through?

Not a problem.

Masten, Jetta, Hurn, Kennedy and Naitanui will all be on less or retiring in 1-2 years.

Club hasnt paid silly money to retain multiple stars.

And they wont pay silly money to Cogs or Kelly. Good money but not silly money.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...-remain-at-west-coast-a-wa-high-ng-b88904494z

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...llion-man-with-west-coast-20140521-zrjzz.html
Jeremy McGovern’s $1.2m a year deal to remain at West Coast a WA high

Nic Naitanui becomes $4 million man with West Coast

The West Australian understands Andrew Gaff yesterday accepted a six-year offer worth about $5.5 million to remain in Perth

Loyal Luke Shuey cashes in with huge contract at West Coast Eagles

Last edited:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...-remain-at-west-coast-a-wa-high-ng-b88904494z

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...llion-man-with-west-coast-20140521-zrjzz.html
Jeremy McGovern’s $1.2m a year deal to remain at West Coast a WA high

Nic Naitanui becomes $4 million man with West Coast

'Multiple stars' is what I posted.

Naitanui has already stated he will be taking a pay cut next year.

McGovern will be the only $1m plus player at the Eagles next year. Shuey, Gaff and Yeo are all on around $850 ish.

I would expect the Eagles would offer Cogs the same as those guys $850k pa. Giants can offer more to stay.

Kelly Id guess around $6-650k. Cats will offer more to stay.

Push came to shove Masten, Hurn, Kennedy and Naitanui take cuts. Le cra was on decent coin and just retired.

Hurn and Kennedy will be 'coaching' post retirement as will Nic but hopefully thats a while off. If the club has to pay footy tax for being over the limit so be it. It has serious cash to use. The most in the comp so if you have an advantage use it before the AFL change the rules.

The Eagles turned over alot of older players in the past two drafts and replaced with draftees. So a fair scope for front loading existing deals.

'Multiple stars' is what I posted.

Naitanui has already stated he will be taking a pay cut next year.

McGovern will be the only $1m plus player at the Eagles next year. Shuey, Gaff and Yeo are all on around $850 ish.

I would expect the Eagles would offer Cogs the same as those guys $850k pa. Giants can offer more to stay.

Kelly Id guess around $6-650k. Cats will offer more to stay.

Push came to shove Masten, Hurn, Kennedy and Naitanui take cuts. Le cra was on decent coin and just retired.

Hurn and Kennedy will be 'coaching' post retirement as will Nic but hopefully thats a while off. If the club has to pay footy tax for being over the limit so be it. It has serious cash to use. The most in the comp so if you have an advantage use it before the AFL change the rules.

The Eagles turned over alot of older players in the past two drafts and replaced with draftees. So a fair scope for front loading existing deals.
Fair enough. Edited to include Gaff and Shuey. I hear Shepperd's in negotiations atm as well.

Fair enough. Edited to include Gaff and Shuey. I hear Shepperd's in negotiations atm as well.

Yep Shep is a RFA at end of the year.

He would be a $550-600k pa player.

I would be stunned if the Eagles landed both Kelly and Cogs. Hard enough to get one. But money wouldnt be the problem.

Lycett being replaced by Hickey is another saving in the Eagles cap as well. That saving covers Sheps pay rise plus some.

Yep Shep is a RFA at end of the year.

He would be a $550-600k pa player.

I would be stunned if the Eagles landed both Kelly and Cogs. Hard enough to get one. But money wouldnt be the problem.

Lycett being replaced by Hickey is another saving in the Eagles cap as well. That saving covers Sheps pay rise plus some.
I'd be stunned if Eagles didn't get Kelly. How it didn't happen last trade period is a mystery. Kelly wanted to go to Eagles, Eagles wanted Kelly, Geeing said they'd trade him if they got a reasonable offer and still it didn't happen. Kelly can just pull the Ablett bluff and say he's walking away from the game and Geelong will get nothing. Cats would rather take unders than get nothing.

I'd be stunned if Eagles didn't get Kelly. How it didn't happen last trade period is a mystery. Kelly wanted to go to Eagles, Eagles wanted Kelly, Geeing said they'd trade him if they got a reasonable offer and still it didn't happen. Kelly can just pull the Ablett bluff and say he's walking away from the game and Geelong will get nothing. Cats would rather take unders than get nothing.

Kelly wont walk away from a $500k pa salary. He has a short period of time to set him and his family up for life.

Also Geelong demanded an exceptional deal not a fair and reasonable deal.

Feel Kelly will be an Eagle and Cogs remains a Giant.

Kelly wont walk away from a $500k pa salary. He has a short period of time to set him and his family up for life.

Also Geelong demanded an exceptional deal not a fair and reasonable deal.

Feel Kelly will be an Eagle and Cogs remains a Giant.

In your opinion.I could say we wanted a fair deal and you only offered an unders deal.

The price is in the eye on the beholder .. and when a player is contracted its biased towards the contract parties opinion. In the end I think it was a 2019 pick that we could not agree on (I think) not a huge distance apart. What we agree to at years en with out of contract will be interesting.

Im not sure how that affects how it works this year with Conilio apart from cap considerations.

In your opinion.I could say we wanted a fair deal and you only offered an unders deal.

The price is in the eye on the beholder .. and when a player is contracted its biased towards the contract parties opinion. In the end I think it was a 2019 pick that we could not agree on (I think) not a huge distance apart. What we agree to at years en with out of contract will be interesting.

Im not sure how that affects how it works this year with Conilio apart from cap considerations.

I was quoting Wells. He clearly stated the deal would need to be exceptional. Not fair, not reasonable but exceptional.

So out of contract we will hopefully get back to talking fair and reasonable........not exceptional.

If Cogs does nominate the Eagles I think the Giants will match and force a trade. That would effect any Kelly negotiations.

Eagles have one 2019 1st and two 20189 2nd rounders. To get both players those picks would be needed PLUS the 2020 1st.

That is unless a player of interest comes into play and I feel for Kelly that player could be Cole or Nelson. Cole is young, contracted and playing well. But the Eagles have a lot of depth in the small defender / half back area with Francis Watson gunning for a spot. It is a player who played in Geelong in an area we have well covered.

GWS would want two 1sts for Cogs so both the Eagles 2019 and 2020 picks.

That leaves a mix of two 2019 2nds and a player for out of contract Kelly.

All getting a tad complicated hence only getting one of the two is likely.

I was quoting Wells. He clearly stated the deal would need to be exceptional. Not fair, not reasonable but exceptional.

So out of contract we will hopefully get back to talking fair and reasonable........not exceptional.

If Cogs does nominate the Eagles I think the Giants will match and force a trade. That would effect any Kelly negotiations.

Eagles have one 2019 1st and two 20189 2nd rounders. To get both players those picks would be needed PLUS the 2020 1st.

That is unless a player of interest comes into play and I feel for Kelly that player could be Cole or Nelson. Cole is young, contracted and playing well. But the Eagles have a lot of depth in the small defender / half back area with Francis Watson gunning for a spot. It is a player who played in Geelong in an area we have well covered.

GWS would want two 1sts for Cogs so both the Eagles 2019 and 2020 picks.

That leaves a mix of two 2019 2nds and a player for out of contract Kelly.

All getting a tad complicated hence only getting one of the two is likely.
Sounds like conciliatory comment.. obviously they would want a fair deal... it just matter of what one thinks is fair.

No one has ever matched a trade..I doubt it starts now... if you have info that it looks like it will be matched then it will be like Danger if its done.. but I suspect GWS would look at the pick they might be able to get and move on.

I have said before on our board I think we may have to think in terms of a player trade .. who that is .. would probably depend on which player is willing to come. Cole .. I know he played in our VFL but I dont think he is from Geelong. Nelson is not holding a spot in your side consistently... so both ..a bit mehh but who knows ... Geelong have decided to push a bit in this trade and of course it may not work out with the trade but they wanted Kelly for 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three states chase gun Giant mid, Freo in the hunt - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-05/three-states-chase-gun-giant-mid-freo-in-the-hunt

These kind of articles piss me off a bit. I suspect they're written by software bots. Has all the structure but no substance or data.

Confirms Freo is interested but anyone would have guessed that..

I doubt it's nothing. Declaring interest so early in the season never works out well lol. Cogs is either a Giant or an Eagle imo

I doubt it's nothing. Declaring interest so early in the season never works out well lol. Cogs is either a Giant or an Eagle imo

Maybe
It's the only part of the article that made sense to me. Whether the coffee goes anywhere is another matter. I thought it was a proper and a respectful comment though.

Fremantle don't usually publicly comment on players at all until the trade period.

He is going to West Coast for unders and Fremantle are going to make him choose between the six years at $850,000 and the six years at $1,100,000.
If that was true this far out then he would of been traded last year for a better deal.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If that was true this far out then he would of been traded last year for a better deal.

Perhaps it's the reason why West Coast wouldn't give up next year's first for Kelly, but I don't see how West Coast getting Coniglio for a cheaper price when not in contract and a free agent would matter to GWS. They will do what's best for them, not what suits GWS.

Perhaps it's the reason why West Coast wouldn't give up next year's first for Kelly, but I don't see how West Coast getting Coniglio for a cheaper price when not in contract and a free agent would matter to GWS. They will do what's best for them, not what suits GWS.
Just as the Giants would do what's best for the Giants.
Losing him for nothing this year when we could of traded him last year for a hell of a lot makes no sense.
Especially when you consider we traded Shiel early for that very reason.

I don't think it's 100% he stays but it's more likely that he will than won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back