Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
People are worried that talking about suicide will incite it in others, but really, watch a frank and uncompromising documentary on the subject, and it's not a great advertisement for the practice.

Experts will tell you there is no correlation between suicide discssion and practice.

So let's talk suicide.

Do you have a suicide plan? I guess I always think that if things go awry, I have a way out. And it's a comforting thought. I even discussed it with my psychologist and she is aware of my thoughts and she thinks it's fine that I have them.

This may not necessarily apply for everyone reading this topic of course, so get your own advice on that one.

I guess if there was a zombie apocalypse and I was bitten, leaning back against the wall in agony as waves of zombies bore down on me and I had one bullet left in my gun, I might use it to escape becoming the living dead. Apart from that can't really think of ever being in a place where I would see death as a better option than life.

I knew someone who took his life at the start of the year -

wasn't cool in the way he went about it - instead of dealing with his s**t, he magnified it and put it all on the girl he supposedly loved...

I can't say I haven't thought about it. I consider it as a way out of all my problems, like you said OP. It's a negative way to think but it DOES provide some sort of comfort. But being a depression sufferer, I've always reassured myself that no matter how s**t I feel, that I will talk to someone. Say if my life turned to absolute rock bottom.. I know that it would be an escape route, but I couldn't do it to my family, friends and people that know me in general. It would leave a mental scar on them for the rest of the life. I knew a girl that hanged herself. I'm classmates with her then boyfriend. I've never seen anyone so distraught. It really put things into perspective, you only get one shot at life, just make the most of it.

Oh and one more thing, if anyone reading this feels so low they are plotting to take their life, please shoot me an inbox, I've been in a dark place, I know how it feels. I could lend a HAND if you need it!

That's a pretty simplistic approach to depression. What makes you think money would change someones life?

Money may not buy happiness. But it buys distraction and comfort.

• Banned
I knew someone who took his life at the start of the year -

wasn't cool in the way he went about it - instead of dealing with his s**t, he magnified it and put it all on the girl he supposedly loved...

Yes, some of the less ambivalent suicides are by people who use it as a way of getting back at others.

Was staying in a holiday unit that was part of a residential complex not so long ago. A young lad directly across from us necked himself, and the horrific screaming that ensued from his girlfriend and family when they found him was shocking. It really made me realise what a f****** selfish thing this is to do to your loved ones.

Nothing can that be that bad that you cant walk away from and start all over again without throwing this s**t on those left behind.

I started telling a story on this thread but I think I'll pass.... There are just so many ways this can go wrong if people start reading whats here in the wrong frame of mind...there are so many stories out there that people would be able to relate to ..this is the wrong place for them

People who commit suicide have zero sympathy from me, can't handle their problems so they throw all their burden on the loved ones left behind. Rot.

I feel awful for people who commit suicide. I just can't help but feel sorry for them. To transcend that core, human essential of life retention is just big. I'm kind of in two minds.

Some people are irrational, people like kids, and don't see the big picture. They're exposed to suicide, but not exposed to what it really is. But then some people are the best minds of their generations. Is Kurt Cobain or Sylvia Plath just irresponsible? I doubt it.

I never met her or anything, but a guy around town hung himself. It was the typical 'wasted life' story. Good (and wealthy) parents, clean cut, lots of mates, ready to study law, and good looking. His girlfriend had broke nup with him earlier in the afternoon. She's basically threatening suicide and now the parents have had to quit their jobs through helping her, and their own anxiety and depression. Not everyone has the love, social, and family life of a 19 year old, but the flow-on effects can be absolutely massive. It's just a sad thing.

People who commit suicide have zero sympathy from me, can't handle their problems so they throw all their burden on the loved ones left behind. Rot.

A lot of the time those who commit suicide believe they are the root of a problem and suicide notes are generally apologies. In Japan they started billing families of those who ran in front of trains to commit suicide, the end result was that suicide rates by that method were reduced. These people didn't want to make problems for their families.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand why the dying and terminally ill use suicide as an instrument of last resort because the laws governing euthanasia (lack of) in this county are bloody joke.

A lot of the time those who commit suicide believe they are the root of a problem and suicide notes are generally apologies. In Japan they started billing families of those who ran in front of trains to commit suicide, the end result was that suicide rates by that method were reduced. These people didn't want to make problems for their families.
I'm guessing they just found other alternatives/methods that didnt impact financially on there families As I understand it, suicide in Japan is very high, by western standards

I hope you are still just a kid, because when you grow up, you might just realise that the world is not black and white and that there are a great many shades of grey in between.

* I hate this attitude. Seriously.

Someone feels like they have to end their life. Kill themselves, go against every basic instinct for survival and physically end their lives for all of eternity...and you think you can sit back and judge that? And understand how that could possibly feel? How can you ever be in a situation where you think you actually can judge what these people's lives are like.

Furthermore, for a lot of suicide victims/depression sufferers, a lot of their thought processes end up being that the people around them would be better off if they were dead, or that they're nothing but a burden on their families. This, especially is my experience with people close to me who've suffered depression. Your attitude does absolutely nothing to help anyone who has these thoughts, your lack of understanding is typical and you're full of s**t.

From David Foster Wallace:

"The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flame yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don‘t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."

Don't think I have it in me to do it
Me neither, however does it infer that these individuals have what may be best described as courage, to go through with such a terrifying event.

And I use the term courage, because paradoxically most people presume these individuals are weak, lacking the necessary skills to work through the very issues or circumstances that drive them to sucide

Regardless, the events or circumstances that drive individuals to override this powerful urge of self preservation must be all pervasive

Those who commit suicide feel as though there is no light at the end of the tunnel, and often feel they are at fault and are the cause of the problem. Sure, everyone has problems, however sometimes they are so bad and create so much of a burden that some people feel the only way out is to escape from this world.
I just hope some people out there aren't as misinformed as you, this is a pretty poor post.

People who commit suicide by throwing themselves in front of a bus or train (or the like) and essentially putting their life in the conscience of the driver get no sympathy.

Otherwise, I have plenty of sympathy for depression and its ending. Such a dark place.

Those who commit suicide feel as though there is no light at the end of the tunnel, and often feel they are at fault and are the cause of the problem. Sure, everyone has problems, however sometimes they are so bad and create so much of a burden that some people feel the only way out is to escape from this world.
I just hope some people out there aren't as misinformed as you, this is a pretty poor post.

Can you tell me why these people can't pack up and move away, starting a new life somewhere else?

I understand the feeling of guilt, being the cause of problems, helplessness etc, but I can't understand why you'd choose suicide over the above option. Shed some light on this for me if you can.

Can you tell me why these people can't pack up and move away, starting a new life somewhere else?

I understand the feeling of guilt, being the cause of problems, helplessness etc, but I can't understand why you'd choose suicide over the above option. Shed some light on this for me if you can.

Sometimes, these people may have actually tried everything (including moving away, beginning a new life elsewhere etc.). They may have tried their best to solve their problems in life, but haven't succeeded and have fallen short. Therefore, I can understand why some people in these situations believe death is the only escape.
I've suffered depression before and suicide was something that briefly crossed my mind (never considered it as an option, however). I want to ensure I never put myself through the awful feeling of despair that depression brings again.

People are worried that talking about suicide will incite it in others, but really, watch a frank and uncompromising documentary on the subject, and it's not a great advertisement for the practice.

Experts will tell you there is no correlation between suicide discssion and practice.

So let's talk suicide.

Do you have a suicide plan? I guess I always think that if things go awry, I have a way out. And it's a comforting thought. I even discussed it with my psychologist and she is aware of my thoughts and she thinks it's fine that I have them.

This may not necessarily apply for everyone reading this topic of course, so get your own advice on that one.

I really appreciate your candor HP and I may be wrong , but is apart, or all of why your seeing a therapist, to do with this very subject . And If so, are you looking at people here to affirm your right to do so? ....because its is not unusual for people contemplating suicide to look for permission from others because of the intense feelings of guilt they have, in doing so.

It's a personal choice.

I tend to think it's a byproduct of people that take themselves and/or life too seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back