Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Handscomb either the other surprise. Good squad though. Capable of winning it despite our dire form 6+ months ago

Other squads announced today:

Australia A Men’s one-day squad: Travis Head (c), Matthew Wade, Will Pucovski, Peter Handscomb, Ashton Turner, Mitch Marsh (vc), D’Arcy Short, Kurtis Patterson, Ashton Agar, Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Josh Hazlewood (vc), Kane Richardson, Sean Abbott.

Australia A four-day squad: Tim Paine (c), Marcus Harris, Kurtis Patterson, Will Pucovski, Travis Head (vc), Peter Handscomb, Matthew Wade, Mitch Marsh, Michael Neser, Jon Holland, James Pattinson, Jackson Bird, Josh Hazlewood, Chris Tremain.

And the CA contract list:

View attachment 655072
Oops.. I meant Handscomb when I typed Bancroft. Mind you, Bancroft isn't in the team either.

World Cup XV named.
  • Aaron Finch (c)
  • Jason Behrendorff
  • Alex Carey (wk)
  • Nathan Coulter-Nile
  • Pat Cummins
  • Usman Khawaja
  • Nathan Lyon
  • Shaun Marsh
  • Glenn Maxwell
  • Jhye Richardson
  • Steve Smith
  • Mitchell Starc
  • Marcus Stoinis
  • David Warner
  • Adam Zampa
No surprise (to anyone except Kane McGoodwin), Warner & Smith straight back into the team.

Bancroft & Hazlewood the big names missing, along with Ashton Turner & Kane Richardson who played in the UAE series.

The only selection I'd query is Nathan Lyon, who really hasn't impressed much in white ball cricket. Don't get me wrong, he's our GOAT with the red ball, but his achievements with the white ball aren't even close to being at the same level.
I’d say that’s the squad rather than the team .

World Cup XV named.
  • Aaron Finch (c)
  • Jason Behrendorff
  • Alex Carey (wk)
  • Nathan Coulter-Nile
  • Pat Cummins
  • Usman Khawaja
  • Nathan Lyon
  • Shaun Marsh
  • Glenn Maxwell
  • Jhye Richardson
  • Steve Smith
  • Mitchell Starc
  • Marcus Stoinis
  • ReDavid Warner
  • Adam Zampa
No surprise (to anyone except Kane McGoodwin), Warner & Smith straight back into the team.

Bancroft & Hazlewood the big names missing, along with Ashton Turner & Kane Richardson who played in the UAE series.

The only selection I'd query is Nathan Lyon, who really hasn't impressed much in white ball cricket. Don't get me wrong, he's our GOAT with the red ball, but his achievements with the white ball aren't even close to being at the same level.
Vader, I clearly said they would both be in the squad, but Warner was no guarantee to be in our best side.

Stop misrepresenting what I clearly said!

Good squad imo... but agree I wouldn't of taken Lyon, but Handscomb instead.

Last edited:

No Handscomb either the other surprise. Good squad though. Capable of winning it despite our dire form 6+ months ago

Other squads announced today:

Australia A Men’s one-day squad: Travis Head (c), Matthew Wade, Will Pucovski, Peter Handscomb, Ashton Turner, Mitch Marsh (vc), D’Arcy Short, Kurtis Patterson, Ashton Agar, Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Josh Hazlewood (vc), Kane Richardson, Sean Abbott.

Australia A four-day squad: Tim Paine (c), Marcus Harris, Kurtis Patterson, Will Pucovski, Travis Head (vc), Peter Handscomb, Matthew Wade, Mitch Marsh, Michael Neser, Jon Holland, James Pattinson, Jackson Bird, Josh Hazlewood, Chris Tremain.

And the CA contract list:

View attachment 655072
Fall from grace for the ex Vice Captain.

Was a baffling decision at the time
I know this is late, but maybe the selectors thought the added responsibility of the Vice-captaincy might make him focus more and become a high-achiever consistently....? Personally, I'm happy he's gone; was carried for way too long imo.

Have you considered making a World Cup thread, or just gonna stay with this (which has passed into the late-Autumn of Cricket ;))?

Australia play a New Zealand XI in unofficial three warm-up matches in Brisbane from next Monday. The matches will not be live streamed but extensive highlights will be available on cricket.com.au.

Australia's World Cup campaign begins on June 1 against Afghanistan in Bristol. Australia's World Cup matches and the finals will be broadcast on the Nine Network, while Fox Sports will carry coverage of every match from the 50-over showpiece event.

2019 World Cup

Australia's squad: Aaron Finch (c), Jason Behrendorff, Alex Carey (wk), Nathan Coulter-Nile, Pat Cummins, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Adam Zampa

May 25: (warm-up) England v Australia, Southampton

May 27: (warm-up) Australia v Sri Lanka, Southampton

June 1: Afghanistan v Australia, Bristol (D/N)

June 6: Australia v West Indies, Trent Bridge

June 9: India v Australia, The Oval

June 12: Australia v Pakistan, Taunton

June 15: Sri Lanka v Australia, The Oval

June 20: Australia v Bangladesh, Trent Bridge

June 25: England v Australia, Lord's

June 29: New Zealand v Australia, Lord's (D/N)

July 6: Australia v South Africa, Old Trafford (D/N)

July 9: Semi-Final 1, Old Trafford

July 11: Semi-Final 2, Edgbaston

July 14: Final, Lord's

Warner was dominant in the IPL, leading IPL run scorer when he exited the tournament early for the Australian training camp.
8 x 50's and 1 x 100 in 12 matches is no joke. Hopefully can bring at least half that form into the World Cup on English pitches.

Smith was pretty solid without setting the world on fire. Low strike rate, anchorman.

Stoinis no 50's but lots of not outs to make his average look good.

The form of these 3 in the World Cup will go a long way to determining how the Aussies go.

Warner - 12 matches, 2 not outs, 692 runs @ 69.20 ave striking at 143.86. HS 100*
8 x 50's
1 x 100

Smith - 12 matches, 2 not outs, 319 runs @ 39.87 ave striking at 116. HS 73*
3 x 50's.

Stoinis - 10 matches, 6 not outs, 211 runs @ 52.75 ave striking at 135.25. HS 46*
2 wickets @ 72.50 ave at 8.70 economy.

Channel 9 are advertising the World Cup and the Ashes, why are they broadcasting and not 7?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have they got any commentators left?
I reckon they'll take the UK feed with a couple of 'experts' (ie Simon O'Donnell and Ray Martin) back in the studio during breaks in play.

The UK feed will include a few Aussie commentators and is usually excellent - Gower, Botham, Atherton.

I reckon they'll take the UK feed with a couple of 'experts' (ie Simon O'Donnell and Ray Martin) back in the studio during breaks in play.

The UK feed will include a few Aussie commentators and is usually excellent - Gower, Botham, Atherton.

For the World Cup, it'll be the ICC feed, which is a mix of commentators from around the world (usually 2-3 from each country).

For the Ashes, it'll probably be the Sky Sports feed from the UK you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back