Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still remember the 1981 underarm incident and what a huge deal it was at the time - it became a punchline and mild sledge-material by the mid-80s though (probably because both Greg and Trevor Chappell were out of the side by that time) and no-one really gave a s**t (Australian cricket had enough problems by then). I remember the Dennis Lillee/Javed Miandad stoush being a bigger deal at the time.

If the underarm incident happened now though it would be over-saturated and overblown with all the social media nerds and 'on standby to be offended' bedwetter dorks festering on the outrage carcass.

What?

That's about as sad as someone bringing up things that happened in high school.

Does nothing ever happen in their world, that they want to bring up things most Australians have forgotten?
You are clearly out of your depth on this discussion as you are in complete denial that this was a major embarrassment for Australia & is still brought up today.

Sandpapergate will be the same.

Wow.

It's actually becoming clearer how you let things like the Tippett contract, us constantly losing players, the camp etc just wash over you. And criticise others for going on about them.

Are you sure you actually care?

Literally anything could happen and you'd just carry on the same. Doesn't matter. Meaningless. No biggie.
Did you argue that Andrew Gaff should be arrested for assault and get a year's ban?

So you're doubling down on the "she's a ****" and "her and Warner deserved it"?

It was disgusting to see someone's wife and family targeted like this. Anyone who thinks that deserved it are embarassing themselves.
I didnt say she deserved it, I said if you have sex in a public bathroom with a public figure you open yourself up to potential criticisms.

David Warner would be top 5 amongst disliked Aussie sportspeople before the incident. He gets some sympathy for what was said, but not much.

I didnt say she deserved it, I said if you have sex in a public bathroom with a public figure you open yourself up to potential criticisms.

David Warner would be top 5 amongst disliked Aussie sportspeople before the incident. He gets some sympathy for what was said, but not much.
Wasn't Warner having a crack at De Kocks sister?

Wasn't Warner having a crack at De Kocks sister?
Yes, which is why he put a target on his back.

He's a bully who loves to dish it out, but explodes in anger when it's returned to him.

Yes, which is why he put a target on his back.

He's a bully who loves to dish it out, but explodes in anger when it's returned to him.
What's this? Did Warner get thousands of people to dress up as an ex-boyfriend of Quentin deKok's sister?

Genuine comment - I didn't hear much about this.

What's this? Did Warner get thousands of people to dress up as an ex-boyfriend of Quentin deKok's sister?

Genuine comment - I didn't hear much about this.
That says more about the Saffer supporters than their players.

Warner went down the family route first.

It's a classic case of two wrongs not making a right.

Warner is a pig of a human being, and a bully who goes to water as soon as anyone pushes back at him. He went down the family route first, thus making his own family situation a semi-legitimate target.

However, the Saffer fans went well above & beyond the realms of acceptable behaviour in the way they targeted him through his wife's (alleged) infidelity. Those face masks were well beyond the pale.

There is no right here. Warner has no right to feel aggrieved, even if the Saffer fans went way beyond the realms of acceptable behaviour.

Sure.

What DID Warner do, though?

The South Africans have only mentioned that it involved De Kochs sister, nothing more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he makes a comment about De Kok's sister and then gets shirty when De Kok comes back at him alluding to allegations that his wife was getting a severe portion up the gary from some rugby player. Yeah, classy.

You should learn from McGrath about being prepared to get something worse back in return when you dish some crap out.

So he makes a comment about De Kok's sister and then gets shirty when De Kok comes back at him alluding to allegations that his wife was getting a severe portion up the gary from some rugby player. Yeah, classy.

You should learn from McGrath about being prepared to get something worse back in return when you dish some crap out.
The comments towards Warner weren't good, but you gotta ask why he brought up the sister.

I'm all for a bit of onfield banter but the whole thing went too far.

The comments towards Warner weren't good, but you gotta ask why he brought up the sister.

I'm all for a bit of onfield banter but the whole thing went too far.
Googling it, sounds like Warner called De Kock's sister a bush pig.

To be fair, she's actually pretty hot, so his taste is questionable.

Remember how this unfolded - we had just won the Ashes, and this was going to be a real playoff for bragging rights.

We won the first test in South Africa.

We acted a bit like pork chops - Gary Lyons celebration of the run out was embarrassing.

But South Africa really turned up the heat to try and break us - Warner especially.

Telling someone in a stairwell that their wife is a ******* **** is too much. The masks, the verballing. Rabata getting suspended and whinging until it was overturned.

Eventually, the Australians broke. And our team has been destroyed.

We carried on like flogs for years; the behaviour by the team in South Africa isn't anything new. Watson, Johnson, Michael Clarke and Haddin in particular regularly went over the top with abuse on the field. Pretty much every series we were involved in under Lehmann was marred by bad blood.

Remember how this unfolded - we had just won the Ashes, and this was going to be a real playoff for bragging rights.

We won the first test in South Africa.

We acted a bit like pork chops - Gary Lyons celebration of the run out was embarrassing.

But South Africa really turned up the heat to try and break us - Warner especially.

Telling someone in a stairwell that their wife is a ******* **** is too much. The masks, the verballing. Rabata getting suspended and whinging until it was overturned.

Eventually, the Australians broke. And our team has been destroyed.
Thanks for recounting the historical event. There’s definitely a bit of attempt to breakdown Warner by the South Africans and also the media (theirs and ours after the first Test victory). It was unfortunate we somehow ended up going the ball tampering route in the second Test and ****ed up our chances of winning the series over in South Africa, and now we’ve become a laughing stock.

Sure, we could have acted more sportsmen-like during that initial win, but there was nothing much in any of those incidents. The Rabata incident to me was more serious and somehow that got overturned. To me, the joke is how inconsistent cricketing penalties are given depending on which nation you’re playing for!

Not one single post on the win last night!
Kohli drops Finch with the first chance, over-runs the ball in the field giving away extra runs & threw his wicket away... so he either had a very bad night by his standards or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back