Status
Not open for further replies.

zannnn

Debutant
May 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Not long till we start drafting our teams so I thought I'd get the ball rolling with this discussion thread.

What's your draft strategy this year?

Who's your top 10?

I think Draft is won the mid-late picks (picks 50-100+) - so which break out players do you have your eyes on? Who's had a big pre-season?

I think for me this year... I'm terrible at doing research and usually piss drunk by the time we draft the teams. Last year I used my first pick to secure Goldy - big mistake, I should of locked a super-premo midfielder. Will use my first few picks to get the big midfielders, then onto defenders as they are scarce (try my best to get either Doc or Shaw). Will use my 5th pick for what's left of the rucks. I've literally done no research, so will think about this some more later. Have my eyes on the Bont and Titch for a big year.

Like you said DRAFT is won and lost on the middle round picks.

Breakouts who are at least reliable scorers and some names that might go back to be decent scoring

Shuey, Redden, Sheed, Lecras even

T.Mitch, Hrovat, Thurlow, Barlow, Touk, J.Martin, Wells as a mid season pick up, Prestia, well you get the idea.

Pick the ones who have changed clubs and roles etc.

We just worked out our draft order last night. I got pick #2, in a snaking order so my next pick will be #19, then #22.

I think the top two are more or less certain:
Danger
Gawn

Then I think it would be
Pendles
Fyfe
GAJ
JPK3
Hanners
Goldy
Rockliff
Parker(?)

We just worked out our draft order last night. I got pick #2, in a snaking order so my next pick will be #19, then #22.

I think the top two are more or less certain:
Danger
Gawn

Then I think it would be
Pendles
Fyfe
GAJ
JPK3
Hanners
Goldy
Rockliff
Parker(?)

No way you'd pick JPK, Parker and Hanners all in the top 10?!
Joel Selwood easily before Parker imo, as well as Priddis, Treloar and even Sloane. Drafts are by nature very unpredictable, last year my mates smashed out the rucks within the first two-three rounds, no one wanted to miss out. I think Jacobs was pick 14 :S

I usually use my first 2 picks on gun mids, then if there's a gun ruck go for them, if not use them as a loophole all year instead of picking a s**t ruck for the sake of it. (One year a bloke too Mummy, Sandi and Jacobs and was able to get overs for them because other teams had trash rucks) then I go for Defs and FWDs, it's easier to get a 90+ mid later in the draft than it is to get decent defenders so don't leave these lines too late. DPPs are super important. I try use my last 2 picks on lesser known smokies, this year I'm hoping I'll be able to get Blake Acres with one of my last picks.

Not site where to post this but hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
I want to give Draft a go this season but have no mates playing so am looking for a public league to join. How do i find one that has an auto draft ?

YES DRAFT!

1-2 will surely be Danger and Gawn in every league, then its really open for the rest of the first round unlike last year when there were 5-6 clear top picks from 2015.

No way you'd pick JPK, Parker and Hanners all in the top 10?!
Joel Selwood easily before Parker imo, as well as Priddis, Treloar and even Sloane. Drafts are by nature very unpredictable, last year my mates smashed out the rucks within the first two-three rounds, no one wanted to miss out. I think Jacobs was pick 14 :S

Parker has higher scoring potential than Priddis, Treloar and Sloane IMO.

YES DRAFT!

1-2 will surely be Danger and Gawn in every league, then its really open for the rest of the first round unlike last year when there were 5-6 clear top picks from 2015.

I'm with you, I think Danger will go first and I will most likely take Gawn at pick 2.

But if there is a fit and firing Fyfe I will have a lot to think about.

Who ran the $20 draft league last year? With some of the Saints boys if I remember correctly

I'd be keen again!
karaoke ran it but I think he's taking this year off.

If we drum up enough interest I'll be in to defend the title!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was shitful last season

was not one team to team trade - most had forgotten about it by rd4 sadly
It was my first ever time doing Draft, I had no clue about rules

Happy to run a $20 comp this season with different rules

I am shopping around for a Melbourne CBD draft venue. Our drafts are drinking and sport watching affairs, elements of punting. We have done the Mail Exchange in the past which is almost spot on (power sockets, TV's, TAB, area to smoke, couches, food) except the beer prices and lack of jugs. The Mount View in Richmond was OK but a little out of the way to get to.

Does anyone have a venue they use often that works well and might hit these notes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back