Mod. Notice Supercoach Hints and Tips

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sold on the only pick a mid pricer if theyll b a keeper and the one per line rule. Daisy, beams MMurphy could all be mids.

Games about points and generating money for upgrades when required.

Imo
Totally agree, i generally start with 2 mid pricers every year. Ones who i predict to make enough to almost push the 450-500k mark. Then once you have a cash cow mooing you can upgrade to a full on premo like Pendles/Swan etc.
The key is picking the right mid pricers. Look for things like club changes and role changes. Someone who is going to get more midfield time, or more game time at a new club is a great one. Look at Moloney last year, he was great for a lot of people. Then you got the ones who you know are great players just got hit by injury... eg. JJK last year. Every year there is a few of these. I know there is 3-4 this year who are prime candidates.

Mid price players should be put in team only if you think they can become a keeper. Most years the best mid priced player will only become a D6/M8 POD so one per line max. otherwise they won't make money and will burn trades for firstly cash and then picking your keeper.
Disagree with this. I had Hannebery at the start of the year last year, and it was an inspired pick. Up until round 17, he only scored below 84 3 times, with a putrid 40 and a couple of 60 odd scores.

What was not inspired, was keeping him after that, where he failed to score above 90 for the rest of the year. If I had traded him when he was at his peak price, it would have been smart. But I traded him around round 20 or 21, when he was back to his original price and costing me league games.

Don't overspend in any one area, as strong as it will look it will leave plenty of gaps in the others, look for an even spread especially across fwd/back/mid think 1-2 of the best premos on each line Bartel/Mcveigh or Ablett/Pendles or Danger/Dusty these sorts of combos don't really damage scoring because all the picks are midfielders so they should score like a midfielder. After these 2 premos consider another 1 almost premo Hanley/Rockliff/Franklin. Next is the bit that most people get wrong, mid pricers I would go with tops one on each line eg Suckling/Thomas/Walker. Then finally the rookies, try and stack the mid with these because they will give you the most money and the best job security any of Martin/Polec/Beams/Michie/Ellis/Sheed/Dunstan/Morabito/O'Rourke/Crouch/Taylor/Garlett/Aish/Salem will do well for you but there will be one or two that will be this year's Ollie Wines, picking those two is the challenge.

That is all I will say for now

Summed it up beautifully mate.

Top post. :thumbsu:

i should have underlined "one per line max". i agree having them and last year i probably overloaded a touch and had Bennell, Boak and Jack at the start of the year and got a bit lucky when i sacked Bennell when he got injured. my statement was purely don't pick up too many thinking they will become a avg95 player because they wont stay in your team come finals and 2-3 on a line can burn trades when they only make 100k.

Trust your gut because at the end of the day it's alright to fail on yr own decision but hurts twice as bad if you fail on someone else's.

So, so true.

From last year...

I had Harley Bennell and Paddy Ryder in my team in Round 1 but I had no regrets knowing it was a punt that didn't come off.

I still regret following the hype and picking up Birchall, only to watch him get injured 2 weeks later.

There's another reason why having sufficient mid priced players is so important this year. With the bye rounds being so early and many people planning to trade up during the bye rounds mid priced players are crucial.

Imagine you went with a strict Premo/Rookie structure and you have a couple of $117,500 rookies who have averaged 70 points over the first 7 rounds. They will each have lifted their value to about $302,500 (based on last years formula). That makes them worth a combined total of about $605,000. After you trade one down to another $117,500 rookie you are left with just $487,500 for the other replacement player. That's not enough to buy any of the 100 most expensive players (based on their starting values). Of course you may have a rookie who averaged much more than 70 points, but would you really want to trade out a player that good so long before he finishes mooing?

Now imagine you have a good mix of Premo/MidPrice/Rookie and, as well as the $117,500 rookie who averaged 70 points and increased his value to $302,500, you also have a $350,000 midpriced player who averaged about 90 over those first 7 matches and has increased his value to about $436,000 (again based on last years formula). That gives a combined value of $738,500 so, after trading down to a new $117,500 rookie you are left with $621,000 for the other replacement player. That's enough to buy all but the 6 most expensive players in the competition (based on their starting values).

It is no so much a hint/tip thing , but more so some quirks of mine that I have going into Round 1. In no particular order...

1. No one over 30 years of age
2. No one coming off a Best and Fairest/Brownlow year or a 'peak' year, especially if the player is 23yo or under. Players are only human and drop off a little mentally after a successful year - I will most likely break this rule for McVeigh this year
3. No more than 2 players from the same club on each line, bench included
4. GAJ and Pendles - no matter what
5. No Cloke, No Broughton, No Duffield. No exceptions. BURNMAN. ALL OF THEM!
6. It breaks all SC rules but I actually like to start the season with one key position forward.:eek: For sh!ts and giggles mainly. You heard me!
7. No ruckmen over 600k

I imagine a lot of SCers would have a couple of these options but would be curious to hear others :)

Ignore what everyone else tells you unless you are a first year player. Grow a set and make your own decisions and live and die by your own sword, you don't want to get 6 weeks into the season and realise that you have other peoples ideas on your team sheet. Instead of making money and upgrading you will be sideways trading to make it yours. Make it yours from the start and don't be a pussy afraid to make a decision, you get it all wrong who gives a s**t just don't do it again the next time.

Dear Noobs
Don't sideways trade your premiums, stick with them they are premium for a reason. If you waste trades doing that you will never get to a full premium squad and therefore no where near your cash league or any league. First year a finish in the 30K-80k range is a good start, don't get annoyed that you don't win right away. You will be surprised how much you improve the next season. This is a lifetime commitment, leave your wife and sell your kids if you have to.

If you think the 'premo' that you selected in your initial squad will NOT finish in the top 10 in his position (top 5 if ruck) at the end of the season, then he is not a premo. Only pick premo's that you are confident that they will meet this criteria and still be in your starting 22 come finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great concise article by last year's winner on application of 1) Captains Loophole & 2) Emergency Loophole;

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...a-winning-tactic/story-fni5f3gz-1226822754406

If you're serious about either winning your league or maximising your overall ranking, you need to be able to employ these tactics, where possible, :thumbsu:

ER]

He missed one bit of crucial advice re: VC & Emerg loopholes. Oh well, some people will just have to find out the hard way. :drunk:

He missed one bit of crucial advice re: VC & Emerg loopholes. Oh well, some people will just have to find out the hard way. :drunk:

Yes, Carlton & TMenzel last year was one I remember on this forum - not mine personally,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back