Mod. Notice Supporting Medical Research - Carlton Board Wickzki Week

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Hi everyone,

This thread is a little bit different. It's a link to the Carlton Board, and a thread they are running in support of one of their long-time members, including support for medical research into a condition from which he suffers. Now, I'm not expecting you to particularly support the Carlton Board or an opposition member, other than to have some compassion for his situation, and perhaps consider donating to medical research. The link is immediately below, and I've cut some of the explanation under that thread link.

BF is offering a badge for anyone donating to the medical cause, you can post a pic of your donation (with personal details blacked out) in the Carlton Board thread or on here (I'll pass to Chief). Thanks for reading.

Carlton are playing the Suns next Sunday afternoon. That game will take on extra significance on BigFooty with the introduction of a very special idea on the Carlton board. Welcome to...

Wickzki Week

You may or may not have come across Wickzki in your time on BigFooty. He joined BF in 2010 and has since established himself as a respected poster on the Carlton board, and a highly valued contributor. Unfortunately, Wick is quite unwell. There are ongoing health issues (which we believe to be terminal) and with that comes sensitivities, so whilst this week is about him, we’re going to give Wick the opportunity to share as much or as little as he likes.

Wick suffers/suffered from Cauda equina syndrome which occurs when the nerve roots in the lumbar spine are compressed, cutting off sensation and movement. Nerve roots that control the function of the bladder and bowel are especially vulnerable to damage. It is a one-in-a-million condition that most doctors will not see in their careers. He now suffers from lots of complications due to that and due to a lower immune system other things have gotten on top of him and that's what's killing him now.

We want this week to be in honour of Wick’s contribution to the Carlton board which has been immense. We want to celebrate what he has brought to our community, and provide an opportunity for you all to thank him for it.

Why this week? Wick is Melbourne born and raised but moved to Queensland in 2015, and has been a Suns member for much of the time since then. Whilst he is Carlton through and through, both clubs now hold a special place in his heart. Thanks to the Suns mods who have agreed to participate in promoting this.

So, why am I posting this here?

Firstly to raise awareness for what we hope will be something pretty special. Secondly, we'd love to have all boards involved if you feel inclined to do so. No pressure whatsoever but I figure why not open it up to all? I'll be posting a thread on the Carlton board introducing the concept tonight after the Carlton v Essendon game.

To kick us off – Chief and BigFooty have put in $100, and have agreed to get right behind this initiative. Thank you Chief.

We will be in touch with the donation teams at the above institutions to make sure all funds land where we'd like them to. Also, thanks to Chief...Anyone who donates will receive a very special Wickzki Week BigFooty badge! To donate, simply go to either (or both!) of the links below and follow the prompts:

PA Research Foundation - Make a Donation

Thank you for supporting Spinal Life Australia « Spinal Life

Please post a picture of your donation receipts in here and we’ll organize your badge. Remember to blur out any personal details before posting.

Thank you so much for sharing this week

Cauda Equina Syndrome can truly happen to anyone. The more we all know about this dreadful condition and it's red flags the more we can do to prevent it from happening to those we love.
Sadly,for me,I didn't know what CES was until after I had life saving emergency surgery to correct thr issue and saw it on my medical records. Speaking to a lot of "survivors" it's a similar story for them too including many who worked in the medical/health industry.

This week is more about CES Awareness than it is my own personal battle but if my honest approach to it gives it a face in our community then I'm happy to share and be open

Thank you so very much

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing this week

Cauda Equina Syndrome can truly happen to anyone. The more we all know about this dreadful condition and it's red flags the more we can do to prevent it from happening to those we love.
Sadly,for me,I didn't know what CES was until after I had life saving emergency surgery to correct thr issue and saw it on my medical records. Speaking to a lot of "survivors" it's a similar story for them too including many who worked in the medical/health industry.

This week is more about CES Awareness than it is my own personal battle butic my honest approach to it gives it a face in our community then I'm happy to share and be open

Thank you so very much
All the best to you. Hard to know what to say or do in such circumstances ... supporting awareness and medical research fundraising is a positive thing to do.

More than happy to support Wickzki Week 🐍

Donation made to PA Research Foundation to the amount of behinds the Blues have kicked the past month 🤭

If they can get the win this week and kick more goals than behinds will do the same for Spinal Life

Wickzki pm is always open whenever you need mate

More than happy to support Wickzki Week 🐍

Donation made to PA Research Foundation to the amount of behinds the Blues have kicked the past month 🤭

If they can get the win this week and kick more goals than behinds will do the same for Spinal Life

Wickzki pm is always open whenever you need mate

Don't know whether to laugh or love but definitely saying THANK YOU for both the donation and the PM invite.

Means more than words can describe

Thanks

Hey all. Just wanted to thank anyone and everyone who has donated thus far, and remind anyone who was intending to, to please do so.

Let me know once done and I'll add you to the growing list of posters who will receive a special Wickzki Week badge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back