Unofficial Preview 2023 Grand Final Week - Brownlow Medal + Collingwood versus Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

What hurts is that it could have been our flag. Just like 2016.

I hope the players and the club learn from this.
What that the umps are all in for the big vics?
TFG Bedford all taken out towards the end.
Lions also had the same poor calls.

When the AFL want a story they get it.

Commiserations, dlanod. I suspect we all feel your pain. :(
One point and then four points. And I already hated the Pies.

Edit: and one of my mum's friends is IMing me Collingwood s**t. I've never wanted to punch a 60+ year old woman in the face more.

1. getting games at the MCG is the problem, no problem for Collingwood - 8 of the last 11 grand finals have been won by teams whose home ground is the MCG, it is anything but a neutral ground
2. to get into the 4 you have to play most of your last 10 games at home, no problem for Collingwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Edit: and one of my mum's friends is IMing me Collingwood s**t. I've never wanted to punch a 60+ year old woman in the face more.

Feel for you mate! I’ve never cheered so loud and felt so nervous for any other side as I was for the Lions! Pies had the vfl umps in their pockets once again for the 2nd week in a row. It’s a disgrace. Also the bias commentary, media stories all week. You wouldn’t have known the Lions were even playing.

Can’t think of anything more fulfilling than for the Giants to play the Lions in the 2024 gf, to stick right up the vfl and their corrupt organisation.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Haha

Well now I have to clean coffee out of everywhere as I just spat an entire mouthful out reading this post.

I feel ya

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. getting games at the MCG is the problem, no problem for Collingwood - 8 of the last 11 grand finals have been won by teams whose home ground is the MCG, it is anything but a neutral ground
2. to get into the 4 you have to play most of your last 10 games at home, no problem for Collingwood

To be fair mate, we lost by 1 point. At a sold out MCG with 98% of fans against us.

This team can do it. But they just can’t be close enough at the end of the game that the Vic umpiring can become a factor

To be fair mate, we lost by 1 point. At a sold out MCG with 98% of fans against us.

This team can do it. But they just can’t be close enough at the end of the game that the Vic umpiring can become a factor

Totally absolutely agree

Some things to think about:

8 out of the last 11 Grand Finals have been won by teams that have the MCG as their home ground

The idea that keeps on being perpetuated by the AFL and the press that the MCG is a neutral venue, particularly as soon as the finals start is absolute nonsense. It is a home ground for Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne and to a lesser extent Hawthorn. Is it any wonder that Carlton and Essendon are trying to get away from Docklands. Home ground means being familiar with the ground dimensions, ground surface and other factors like crowd environment and travel time.

Since the start of the 2014 season Collingwood had played at the MCG 135 times. When they played Brisbane on Saturday they were playing a team that had made 19 MCG appearances in the same period for a grand total of 2 wins and 17 losses. In the same period GWS played 26 games at the MCG winning 7 times.

In the past two seasons Collingwood played a total of 33 games at the MCG. In the last season Collingwood played 14 home and 'away' games at the MCG, that's 14 more than Gold Coast Suns, and as many games as St Kilda (3), North Melbourne (2), Western Bulldogs (2), GWS (3) and Brisbane (4) put together.

Collingwood played at 6 different grounds during the 2023 season. GWS played at 11 different grounds.

The home ground advantage extends beyond the finals series. 14 out of 24 games on their home ground is a good way of propelling a team into a top 4 position, and is patently unfair for interstate teams in particular.

Effectively an interstate team or a Melbourne team not based at the MCG could win every game next season, finish on top of the ladder, get the double chance and still face an MCG based opponent on their home turf in the grand final. When my team St Kilda, played Collingwood in the 2010 grand final replay, Collingwood were playing their 11th consecutive game at the MCG. That season (like this season) Collingwood played 14 games the MCG in the home and away season, as opposed to St Kilda who had 4.

GWS were MAGNIFICENT this year. Overcoming the difficulty of the run home was an awesome performance. Unfortunately, in order to to beat MCG-based teams at the MCG in the finals, you have to be a five-goal better team. From my point of view you are close to that. Ratings, profits and the inability of the AFL to provide an alternative stadium that can hold big crowds has made for an uneven playing field.

As for the umpires, the bar is so low now. My theory is that in finals they let the game go on because they are well aware that a free kick at a crucial time can change a game. In the GWS-Collingwood game NOT playing free kicks that were obvious was crucial to the outcome of the game. One last point regarding umpires - at the MCG they are spooked by the home side crowd particularly during finals - another dimension of the home ground advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back