Game Day 2023 Prelim Final - Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Friday 22 September, 7.50pm, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I just hope one day soon we'll see the Swans and Giants contesting for the ultimate prize on the last Saturday in September. It's about time we had an all NSW Grand Final.
That should have been 2016, but the umpires made sure that a) we didn't get there and b) you didn't win.

The heart of the Giants

“Anyone who has witnessed them, watched them go on their journey, (you could see the Giants) were devastated afterward and you know why, because they believed they were going all the way. It didn’t really matter what anyone else thought, they thought they were going all the way. All-Australian captain Toby Greene gave an emotional interview after the game… a pretty hard interview to do. I’d be backing GWS to be a danger in the next couple of the years. They’ve got enough experience there but they’ve got some youth coming through.”

“Their back six are what they build their game around. Connor Idun had a massive last quarter, we’ve seen Sam Taylor become more expressive… his competitiveness and will to win just comes to the fore more and more at the pointy end of the season. And Jack Buckley was huge as well under pressure. I thought their system was excellent, I think they missed some of the marginal calls that could have gone their way, they set the game up the way they needed to after Collingwood looked like they had their measure in the first quarter.”

Tom Green was probably a little off… Callan Ward had been really good in the back half of the year but was quiet, Toby Bedford was quieter than normal, they had a couple that had down days, that happens in finals but they were able to cover.”

“What Adam Kingsley has done has been sensational.”

Connor Idun winning plaudits for his PF performance:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches' votes revealed:

Collingwood v Greater Western Sydney​

10 - Jordan De Goey (Collingwood)
5 - Tom Green (GWS)
4 - Jack Crisp (Collingwood)
3 - Nick Daicos (Collingwood)
3 - Connor Idun (GWS)
2 - Josh Kelly (GWS)
2 - Isaac Quaynor (Collingwood)
1 - Steele Sidebottom (Collingwood)

Can't argue too much with that.
Im surprised that Daicos polled 3 votes though.
Looking at that, the only players that both coaches had in the votes was De Goey (clearly best on ground) and Green, who polled as a 4 and 1.
Very wide spread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back