Autopsy Opening Round 2024, GWS Giants vs Collingwood, Saturday March 9, 7.30pm AEST, Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

What a night, unbelievable atmosphere. Huge effort against the reigning premiers and a team that’s never easy to beat. What a player Cal Brown has turned into - such a tough matchup for the opposition with his size, speed and all round athleticism.

Sad to hear about Ward but Callaghan, Cumming and Perryman all due back very soon.

Great atmosphere.
I'd like to personally thank the large number of Pies supporters for leaving at 3/4 time and during the last quarter.
Made getting out of P1 far easier than anticipated.

To the game - lots of rust, but if that's what they can do against the Premiers in Round Zero (which ironically, came close to matching Mason Cox's stats), it can only get better.
XOH can consider himself very lucky if he retains his spot. He tries to do too much and needs to realise his abilities.
Riccardi is being used as back-up ruck but I'm just not convinced that overall he is a better 'fit' than Keefe.
Callum Brown super impressive. Every chance he'll be our leading goal kicker by end of season.

As is the norm with the Giants - the injury count.
Ward as we know is gone for a couple of months. Hogan and Briggs had leg injuries. Ash grabbed his left hammie high up in the last quarter but it looked like cramp, thank goodness.
It could cruel us again.

Well that was an enjoyable evening.

Solid work all round without being spectacular (except XO who had a shocker)

We were louder all night and not outnumbered by as much as a lot of people predicted.

Building nicely.
Was definitely around 50/50 in my opinion.

As an aside the one chant for us that seemed to catch on huge wasn’t the Giants clap clap clap or Here come the Giants, but a Collingwood like Giants chant drawn out and it sounded awesome.

As I watch the replay, as is the norm, Ch7's production has failed to capture the atmosphere.

Their focus on prioritising their on-air 'talent', and I use that term very loosely, over the crowd effects is an indictment.

So too having BT commentate Giants' games.

His lack of enthusiasm when the Giants do something exceptional, like TFG and Binga's goals in the 3rd quarter is patently obvious.

If he can't enjoy the game for what it is without his obvious bias, he should simply rack off into retirement.

As an aside the one chant for us that seemed to catch on huge wasn’t the Giants clap clap clap or Here come the Giants, but a Collingwood like Giants chant drawn out and it sounded awesome.
100% agree - the Giants (Collingwood like) chant was spine tingling. Hope we use that regularly with the “Here Come the Giants” chant

So rapt to get the W on the big stage, opening weekend vs the biggest club who are the premiers from last year!

- Socials killed it again, some absolute gold from Gaynor today (plus the build
up). The pies fans took it hook line and sinker, makes it all the more funnier
  • Backline solid
  • Umps were so one eyed! Horrific. So many bad calls. There should be an investigation by the club.
  • Loved Masons Cox’s non appearance! What a tool! Wtf was the contact on mummy pre game and taking our ball? Did something happen postgame with Mummy and him? Bit of talk on socials.
  • We did turn it over a lot tonight and should’ve scored more. First game, some rust and perceived pressure I guess. XO, Wehr even whitefield had some poor moments. Fix this and we’ll be very hard to beat.
  • Would love to see crowds like this every home game! Was wonderful to see. Imagine 20k with mostly GWS supporters , place be rockin!!

Bring on Norf!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As I watch the replay, as is the norm, Ch7's production has failed to capture the atmosphere.

Their focus on prioritising their on-air 'talent', and I use that term very loosely, over the crowd effects is an indictment.

His lack of enthusiasm when the Giants do something exceptional, like TFG and Binga's goals in the 3rd quarter is patently obvious.

If he can't enjoy the game for what it is without his obvious bias, he should simply rack off into retirement.

It legit sounds like nobody is there on 7 telecasts. The only noise you hear is 'ball' and a cheer after a goal. I'm not sure what they do with the audio, but they even manage to make 90k crowds sound boring, sterile and uninterested, so what can we expect with 20k. This has been a bugbear of mine for 2 or 3 years.

Very pleasing opening game for us, I expected to win but not by the margin we did, even though we phoned it in the last 10 minutes.

Not sure what the general consensus is but I feel like we actually didn't play 'that' well, a bit of sloppiness with disposal and some rustiness in transition, of we get that to last year's level sooner rather than later it'll be elite

Haven’t seen it yet. Are you serious?

The VFL media are so inept.

Probably the best atmosphere we have had there.
Pies fans were going off as were.

Loved it ! Great win.

I think in regards to the noise, the atmosphere died a little once it got to 40 points in the last qtr there. And hence the foot off the pedal from the boys let in a few junk time goals.

Collingwood fans were over it, and the giants fans were “comfortable”.

I think if it was a close game like the Lions v Carlton one, it would have been deafening noise levels.

Loved the game day experience from the club. Lots of kids activities in the fan zone, and the volume of the Tsunami warning and stuff was fun.

I was blown away how many giants fans to be honest. And not far off 50/50 really. Fantastic !! The big test is next home game against north.

Go giants !!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ch7 just need to fix the balance regarding commentators, crowd and particularly umps.

The umps' mics are far too loud.

The commentators should sit just above the crowd. At the moment, they are overbearing in comparison.

I guess the Audio Director (or whatever their title is) has to subdue the crowd effects because their commentators can't capture the emotion/ambience of the moment (BT in particular).

Edit: I thought Rompingwins' commentary was far better than BT's. Not a difficult task, mind you.

Must shoutout Cadman as well, clearly improved from last season and shouldn't leave our 22 if he keeps that form
Thought he looked great, has become a lot stronger physically and it showed in the way he attacked the contest. He’ll still be super inconsistent this year I’m sure but if he can keep taking small steps forward overall, he adds another dimension to an already very dangerous forward line.

First game I've been to at Giants stadium and it was great! Thanks to the guy who suggested Concord West for parking, saved me heaps and not a bad walk across either.

GWS were really impressive, looked really dangerous up forward and that defence is rock solid, bar the first 5-10 minutes of the game.

And yep, I got in on the Giants chant as well and I'm gonna have big big sound stuck in my head the rest of the weekend 🤙🏼

Only problem would be if playing Brisbane. It'll be awfully hard to differentiate between GIIIIIIIAANTS and LIIIIIOOONS in chant form.

First game I've been to at Giants stadium and it was great! Thanks to the guy who suggested Concord West for parking, saved me heaps and not a bad walk across either.

GWS were really impressive, looked really dangerous up forward and that defence is rock solid, bar the first 5-10 minutes of the game.

And yep, I got in on the Giants chant as well and I'm gonna have big big sound stuck in my head the rest of the weekend 🤙🏼
Cool, man, oh …. And sack Hinkley ;)

What a sensational night that was!

Absolutely fantastic atmosphere at the ground, the crowd was huge and as others have mentioned that "GIAAANTS" chant was spine tingling.

The boys were good. A little bit rusty in the first half, kicked the ball straight to Collingwood jumpers a lot. But they improved as they warmed up. I think it's being a little bit understated how impressive what we just did on the field was. Comfortably knocked off one of the best teams in the comp is massive. We're going to be a force this year.

XOH had a few bad moments, but also some good ones. Puts in a lot of effort, we'll definitely need him with Ward out, so he'll surely keep his spot and I have no doubt he'll improve as the year goes on.

Our forward line was amazing. I was one of the people last year who was defending Keeffe's continued selection and the role he played. But with Cadman sharing rucking duty and also having the ability to pressure and score has eclipsed him completely. It's Cadman's spot to lose now.

Finally I just want to say it's an exciting time to be a Giants member. With that massive crowd, such a strong team, media engagement and growing membership numbers I really feel like we've taken the next step as a club. The future's looking very bright.

Last edited:
Wait so the GIIIAAAAANTS drawn out chant couldn’t be heard?

That could be heard, it sounded good. Loud noise in unison makes it through, it's the hum of the crowd in the background, the oohs and ahhs of the crowd, the sound of chatter and anticipation when games get close, all those things are completely muted out on all 7 telecasts. It sounds like there is practically nobody there for long periods, even last year's gf in the third quarter you could hear a pin drop.

I'll also say I think the orange hi vis idea works, it really adds to the colour in the stadium. The club is pretty switched on to all little details at the moment, well done to Dave Matthews.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back