Preview Round 2 2024 – West Coast Eagles vs GWS Giants, Sunday March 24, 6.50pm AEDT, Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Well, it wasn’t exactly the thirty goals Damo was expecting, but thirty-six scoring shots showed our heart was in the right place.

Like a few others, I found myself getting frustrated more than anything else, probably due to expectations. Perhaps we’ve sub-consciously bought into the hype about being flag favourites which, according to the bookies, we are. At this stage of the season, we need to put a lid on it, like some of the more experienced clubs.

Round 2 sees us play lowly West Coast, a team at the opposite end of the spectrum. Pipped at the post by North for the wooden spoon in 2022, they swapped places last year. Only three wins. And we were their biggest scalp. Embarrassing. In fact, Optus Stadium was the only venue we didn’t win at.

This time, boys, that just won’t do. Here’s the likely line-up:

FB [36] Harry Perryman, [15] Sam Taylor, [39] Connor Idun
HB [6] Lachie Whitfield, [44] Jack Buckley, [7] Lachie Ash
C [10] Jacob Wehr, [22] Josh Kelly, [17] Finn Callaghan
HF [16] Brent Daniels, [26] Jake Riccardi, [14] Toby Bedford
FF [4] Toby Greene, [23] Jesse Hogan, [46] Callum M. Brown
FOL [32] Kieren Briggs, [3] Stephen Coniglio, [12] Tom Green

IC [5] Aaron Cadman, [27] Harry Himmelberg, [28] Harvey Thomas, [33] Xavier O'Halloran

SUB [19] Nick Haynes

In other words, no change. What could we do that would make a meaningful difference? We got through last night without any headline injuries. There’s no-one we’d like back who’s available in the short term. I know X made a few mistakes and got subbed, but he does bring a kind of muscular enthusiasm to the side. Kingsley wasn’t too harsh on him in the presser and I don’t think he’ll get dropped. The most important thing for what we want is a stable team and settled game plan.

Fun fact: Guess which Giant had the lowest disposal efficiency against North? By the proverbial country mile? It was none other than TFG! But even royalty is allowed an off day every now and then.

So, what can we expect on Sunday? Despite their troubles, the Eagles put up a respectable fight against Port and can still draw a crowd at home. After what happened last year, they’ll think they’re a chance if we fluff our lines.

3-0 would be a very handy start, Giants. We’d better not lose this.

Named teams:
WEST COAST EAGLES v GWS GIANTS

Sunday March 24, 6.50pm at Optus Stadium

EAGLES

B: C. Jamieson, T. Barrass, B. Hough
HB: J. Jones, J. McGovern, T. Cole
C: L. Duggan - C, H. Reid, R. Ginbey
HF: J. Cripps, J. Petruccelle, L. Edwards
F: N. Long, J. Waterman, T. Brockman
FOLL: B. Williams, E. Yeo, T. Kelly

I/C (FROM): A. Gaff, J. Hunt, C. Chesser, A. Witherden, J. Darling, R. Maric, T. Dewar

IN: J. Jones, H. Barnett, R. Maric, T. Dewar
OUT: O. Allen (Injured)

GIANTS

B: H. Perryman, S. Taylor, C. Idun
HB: L. Whitfield, J. Buckley, L. Ash
C: J. Wehr, J. Kelly, F. Callaghan
HF: B. Daniels, J. Riccardi, T. Bedford
F: T. Greene - C, J. Hogan, C. Brown
FOLL: K. Briggs, S. Coniglio, T. Green

I/C (FROM): X. O’Halloran, H. Thomas, H. Himmelberg, A. Cadman, R. Angwin, T. McMullin, L. Keeffe

IN: R. Angwin, J. Peatling, T. McMullin, L. Keeffe
OUT: N. Haynes (Personal Reason)

Last edited by a moderator:

I trust Kingers to keep the lid on with the team, more than Leon Cameron was able to. So, I think he will set them a challenge ... perhaps to get a win at a venue that they didn't achieve last year, or just to execute the gameplan more cleanly than they achieved against Norths.

We also didn't suffer superheating in high afternoon humidity during the preceding round this year, nor lose 3 key players (last year Kelly, Whitfield, Perryman) so I'm confident of a better performance. But it's played on the paddock, not theoretically, so the boys need to be 100% on when they play.

I don't expect any changes either.

They're terrible, we're one of the best in the comp anything less than a smoking is underwhelming. Would imagine they roll with the same side again, maybe play around with who the sub will be. Think McMullin or Jones aren't far off if all went well with Jones in the VFL game. Another opportunity for the lads to fill their boots up, if Hogan is thinking Coleman then this is the type of game he needs to cash in on. Get through with 4 points and no injuries and we keep moving.

Thinking there’ll be some pressure to push out XOH and Wehr. Their disposal (esp XOH) was very poor.

I’m most excited to see Darcey Jones and he could debut, especially being a WA boy and us playing in Perth! Sounds
Like he was very effective in the 2’s last weekend.

The bigger ground at Optus should suit our tsunami game style and our resilience playing on the road at the tail end of last season has me more confident that non the past.

Need to get scoring early and keep the crowd out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Some of the kicking from Ash, XOH and even HH was disappointing.
XOH will get another chance, but he’ll need to step it right up.
I can’t see Jones coming in until after the bye. I think Rowston will be one of the first to step in when the opportunity presents itself.

Excellent stuff, LOTG.

I agree with an unchanged line-up.

However, against what is expected to be lowly opposition, that means that a number of players should be on their last chance to significantly improve i.e. XOH and Wehr.

This is the year of very high expectations so we cannot carry passengers.

Looking forward to a big improvement in kicking and handball efficiency this week.

I also predict Damien Barrett saying we should get 40 goals on the scoreboard.....

I can’t see Jones coming in until after the bye. I think Rowston will be one of the first to step in when the opportunity presents itself.
If they are worried about the clearance count, then Rowston should be looking as an option. Of course, they might just give Callaghan another game to see if he can impact more.

Ash had a shocker .... just a down game after his excellentperformance against the pies, you'd imagine. But it was painful to watch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t see us changing the team at all

Finn looked rusty but he did miss a chunk of preseason

Agree wehr and xo look like they are the last selected but I can’t see us changing anything over their disposal. If they aren’t playing their role then that’s a different story

Agree wehr and xo look like they are the last selected but I can’t see us changing anything over their disposal. If they aren’t playing their role then that’s a different story
Finn's kicking was off and missed some targets throughout the game, happy to chalk that up to first game after missing a bit of time

Under Leon we lose that game. We didn’t player very well but won comfortably.

North played alright and were able to put pressure on the ball which caused skill errors and turnovers on our part. To be expected from a young team first game of the year.

As long as we are banking wins for the first 6 weeks I don’t expect us to be playing perfect footy.

If we were to make any changes I’d bring Jones in for Thomas. Thomas has played alright but that small forward position was Jones’ until he got sick just before the season.

Not expecting many changes for this one. Even though XO was pretty poor his shape and bullishness at the contest is important with Ward out for a while.

Maybe McMullin for Thomas?

I said just before the opening round, when Darcy Jones had his setback, that I wouldn't be surprised if Harvey Thomas grabbed that spot destined for Darcy, and that Darcy would grab it back once he'd overcome his issues. However, young Harvey has been solid enough, and Darcy's had just the one praccy game, so I reckon that Harvey will hold it for the third game, then with the bye and if Darcy's all good, that's when I reckon they might make the switch.

The GIANTS are aiming to make it three wins in a row to start the season as they head west to take on the Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

AFL ROUND 2

West Coast Eagles v GIANTS
Sunday, March 24 at 6:50pm EDT/3:50pm WST
Optus Stadium| Whadjuk Country

VFL ROUND 1

Footscray v GIANTS
Sunday, March 24 at 12:05pm EDT
Whitten Oval | Wurundjeri/Boon Wurrung Country

All VFL matches will be live streamed for free on AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App.

Visit: afl.com.au/stream-vfl and follow the links. All matches will be available to watch on demand.

TICKETS

General Public Tickets

GIANTS fans wishing to get tickets to Sunday’s match against the Eagles can do so via Ticketmaster.

GIANTS MEMBER ACCESS

WA GIANT Members

Members who hold a WA GIANTS membership can redeem their $0 upgrade ticket to this weekend's match against the Eagles here.

Cheer Squad Tickets

This weekend the GIANTS Cheer Squad will be seated in section 105. For members and fans wishing to sit near the cheer squad, they should select Category 4 seats at the eastern end of the ground. For Cheer Squad Members wishing to book their tickets, please contact the membership team on 1300 442 687.

MEMBERSHIP

If you’re not a member already then there’s no better time than now to join the Orange Army! It’s more than just access to the footy, with GIANT perks, access to exclusive member experiences and events, a membersonly entrance at ENGIE Stadium, and access for you and your guests to the Members Bar on game day.

Check out our available packages here or give us a call on 1300 GIANTS (1300 442 687) today!

WESTERN SYDNEY WATCH PARTY

The Orange Army is invited to join GIANTS ambassador Alex Williams and his sidekick Brandon McClelland on Sunday at Silverwater Hotel in Western Sydney to cheer on the GIANTS in their away clash with the Eagles at Optus Stadium.

Hosts of the brand-new podcast, ‘They Might Become GIANTS’, Williams and McClelland are on a mission to find the best pubs and eateries in Western Sydney to watch away AFL games at - and they want your help.

For GIANTS fans, or just general footy fans, eager to join Williams and McClelland on their new venture, head along to Silverwater Hotel in Western Sydney on Sunday, March 24 to talk all things footy.

GIANTS Watch Party Details:

When: Sunday, March 24 from 6:30pm, with the Eagles v GIANTS starting at 6:50pm
Where: Silverwater Hotel – 214 Silverwater Rd, Silverwater
Who: GIANTS fans
Why: Cheer on the GIANTS as we take on the Eagles

MOST VALUABLE GIANT, PRESENTED BY TOYO TIRES

Vote for your Most Valuable GIANT! After our game on Sunday, GIANTS fans will be able to vote for their most valuable player in a 3, 2, 1 voting style. Vote via our Instagram story or on the GIANTS app - Click here to download it now. The overall winner of the Most Valuable GIANT - as chosen by you - will be awarded the trophy at this year’s Kevin Sheedy Medal.

KICK A GOAL, PLANT A TREE

Capital Brewing Co has partnered with the GIANTS to launch the fourth year of their Trees for Tomorrow initiative in partnership with Jindabyne-based environmental charity Keep it Cool.

The 'Kick A Goal, Plant A Tree' program has Capital Brewing Co working hand in hand with the GIANTS, committing to plant a native Australian tree for every goal kicked by the GIANTS’ AFL and AFLW teams throughout the 2024 season.

You can learn more about the initiative here.

TEAM SELECTION

The GIANTS will name a 26-man squad at 6:20pm on Thursday before naming the final team at 5pm on Friday at gwsgiants.com.au.

The VFL team will be named at 6pm on Saturday night at gwsgiants.com.au.

BROADCAST

Sunday’s match will be shown live on Fox Footy and Kayo nationally from 6:30pm EDT as well as live and free on 7mate from 6:30pm EDT in NSW and the ACT.

SOCIAL MEDIA

Be part of the #BigBigSound - For#BigBigSoundest news, follow @GWSGIANTS on social media: Facebook, X (Twitter) and Instagram.

Too soon ! 🤣

GIANTS Watch Party Details:

When: Sunday, March 24 from 6:30pm, with the Eagles v GIANTS starting at 6:50pm
Where: Silverwater Hotel – 214 Silverwater Rd, Silverwater
Who: GIANTS fans
Why: Cheer on the GIANTS as we take on the Eagles

When did the low rent Silverwater Club become a pub owned by the Colossimo’s?

Oscar Allen picked up a knee injury at training today and it seems at this stage he's likely to miss this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back