Preview Round 1 2024 - GWS Giants v North Melbourne, 4.35 pm Saturday 16 March @ ENGIE Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Round 1 for season 2024 ... and we already have a win on the board! Woo hoo! We have to be happy with the result of the opening round. Yes, it was at home, and yes it wasn't a polished performance - but when is the first game of a season ever at a great level? The good thing was playing with intent, executing to the game plan, and still winning despite the flaws and deficiencies. The run from defence was a highlight, as was our conversion rate in F50. 4.0 from Hogan was great, 4.2 from Binga good, and 5.0 from Callum Brown opens up a brilliant new avenue for goalscoring this year. Toby was kept in check to an extent, but played creator rather than scorer. Overall, every line on the ground did a good job.

For Norths, it's hard to get a good line on how they'll come out. In pre-season they knocked off an undermanned Pies outfit, but lost to Saints. They've lost Jy Simpkin to that sickening hit, too. They have a stack of talented youngsters - Nick Larkey a decent chance of grabbing the Coleman medal, while players such as Harry Sheezel will form the future of a good team. But right now, they are still in the early stages of team regeneration. We will have a definite advantage from playing a competitive match, and catching them coming off pre-season. We will need to ensure we are not complacent - I'm sure AK will handle that - and simply execute or plan and skills to a decent level.

In terms of injuries and changes, clearly Cal Ward is out. Despite the late hyperflex by Jesse Hogan, I reckon he'll be fine to play next week. Harvey Thomas played solidly enough to keep his spot. I doubt that anyone is under the gun after that performance; with Cal out it's probably a case of whether any of the injured players are available to come back in. There's no official word on what's happened to Fin Callaghan - clearly if he's OK, he'd come in for Ward. Otherwise, If Harry Perryman were OK, I'd expect him to come in and play in the midfield rotation. If neither of those guys are fit to play, then I would expect Harry Rowston to take his place as the best like-for-like replacement. I would expect no other changes.

Second game at home, last before the annual pilgrimage away from Giants Stadium due to the Royal Easter Show (you coming up to see that, Mason Cox?), and it would be devastating if the result was anything other than a win for the Giants.

What are your thoughts. Giants fans?

GWS GIANTS v NORTH MELBOURNE

Saturday March 16, 4:35pm at Engie Stadium

GIANTS

B: H. Himmelberg, S. Taylor, C. Idun
HB: L. Whitfield, J. Buckley, L. Ash
C: X. O’Halloran, J. Kelly, F. Callaghan
HF: B. Daniels, J. Riccardi, T. Bedford
F: T. Greene - C, J. Hogan, C. Brown
FOLL: K. Briggs, S. Coniglio, T. Green

I/C: J. Wehr, H. Thomas, N. Haynes, A. Cadman, H. Perryman
EMG: J. Peatling, T. McMullin, L. Keeffe

IN: F. Callaghan, H. Perryman
OUT: T. McMullin (Omitted), C. Ward (Injured)

KANGAROOS

B: J. Goater, A. Corr, K. Dawson
HB: Z. Fisher, T. Pink, D. Tucker
C: D. Stephens, L. Davies-Uniacke, B. Scott
HF: C. Zurhaar, C. Coleman-Jones, C. McKercher
F: P. Curtis, N. Larkey - C, Z. Duursma
FOLL: T. Xerri, G. Wardlaw, H. Sheezel

I/C: C. Lazzaro, T. Powell, J. Stephenson, L. Shiels, E. Ford
EMG: B. Nyuon, R. Hansen Jr, M. Bergman

Last edited by a moderator:

North is tricky to assess. They have a stack of young talent equivalent to us 10 years ago.
They will probably rely on speed and need a large spread of goalkickers to stay with us.

If Finn isn't ready with his apparently punctured foot, then Angwin might get a look.
Pez for Ward is a good option to get a hard-nut and quality ball user in the middle.

Greetings

I'm a bit fearful for our defence as GWS scores pretty freely.
We have a lot of new additions back there who probably haven't had time to gel yet.

I think if our midfield can match we could be in for a good competitive game.
Bring on Saturday

North is tricky to assess. They have a stack of young talent equivalent to us 10 years ago.
They will probably rely on speed and need a large spread of goalkickers to stay with us.

If Finn isn't ready with his apparently punctured foot, then Angwin might get a look.
Pez for Ward is a good option to get a hard-nut and quality ball user in the middle.
Pez for Wardy is good .... I want him back on the small forward, but he can do the mid role for 6 weeks if necessary

Greetings

I'm a bit fearful for our defence as GWS scores pretty freely.
We have a lot of new additions back there who probably haven't had time to gel yet.

I think if our midfield can match we could be in for a good competitive game.
Bring on Saturday
Respectfully I think if your midfield matches ours we have to have a good hard look at ourselves

Yours will be great in three years. But now against players in their late 20’s and prime….. it shouldn’t be even

Respectfully I think if your midfield matches ours we have to have a good hard look at ourselves

Yours will be great in three years. But now against players in their late 20’s and prime….. it shouldn’t be even
Yeah I know what you mean.

Our midfield needs to put in a good shift otherwise our defense will be under siege.

I get the feeling that those who played round 0 will have a big advantage round 1. The rustiness that happens in your first game we have already worked through.

Wardy’s injury isn’t ideal but one out one in with Callaghan or perryman

It is going to be interesting to see how Kingsley gets the team up against an expected bottom side. Under Leon these games would turn into a scrap and we would often get done. It feels like the new game plan should allow the team to really put some sides away which I expect this weekend if we are to give ourselves a genuine shot in sept.

Do we know how serious Callaghan's foot problem is? And has he recovered from the shoulder injury? He'd be the obvious in for Ward, but if Perryman is fit then he's a good option too.

I don't think anyone else is in danger of losing their spot. O'Halloran had a shocker and Riccardi was very quiet but both have the runs on the board from 2023 to be shown some faith.

Do we know how serious Callaghan's foot problem is? And has he recovered from the shoulder injury? He'd be the obvious in for Ward, but if Perryman is fit then he's a good option too.

I don't think anyone else is in danger of losing their spot. O'Halloran had a shocker and Riccardi was very quiet but both have the runs on the board from 2023 to be shown some faith.
Apparently he stepped on a nail. Depends on how big the nail was, which part of the foot etc as to how much damage ... if there's any infection etc as to what the impact is and whether it keeps him out (and of course, how's his shoulder?).

GREATER Western Sydney's midfield star Callan Ward could miss up to eight weeks after injuring his AC joint following a fierce tackle from Collingwood's Beau McCreery on Saturday night. Ward was forced to be substituted out of Saturday night's victory over the Pies after landing on his shoulder following a tackle by McCreery, with scans confirming he won't require surgery but will miss between six to eight weeks.

Isaac Cumming could also miss the first two months of the campaign, having suffered a calf injury during his recovery from an ongoing quad problem that he has been dealing with since February.

Meanwhile, talented young midfielder Finn Callaghan is in doubt for the side's round one clash with North Melbourne after stepping on a nail while at the beach in a freak incident on Saturday morning. Callaghan, who missed Opening Round due to a shoulder problem, was due to return against the Kangaroos this Saturday but was forced to get stitches to his foot after the gruesome moment.

Harry Perryman will return against North Melbourne, though, having recovered from a hamstring injury that kept him sidelined last week, while youngster Darcy Jones is likely to make his comeback from last year's ACL injury in the VFL this weekend. "We're pleased to declare Harry fit and available this week after holding him back for the Opening Round match last week. As a member of the leadership group, we know he is invaluable to the side, and we look forward to seeing him to return to the side this week," Giants head of medical James Rahme said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this should be a good run. I don't think their backline will be able to handle the firepower of Callum Brown...
Their forwards are a bit tougher but given our backline is our strength and Perryman is coming back in I'm confident.
I hope we get a good crowd of returning fans and we just take the 4 points.
Angwin in for Wehr
Perryman for Ward

I think this should be a good run. I don't think their backline will be able to handle the firepower of Callum Brown...
Their forwards are a bit tougher but given our backline is our strength and Perryman is coming back in I'm confident.
I hope we get a good crowd of returning fans and we just take the 4 points.
Angwin in for Wehr
Perryman for Ward
I thought Wehr did enough ... but Pez for Cal is a nice in

Unless we are completely & utterly decimated by injuries, there is absolutely no reason for the phrase “Angwin in for…” to be ever used.
Wehr was not good man. I'm Angwin over Wehr at this stage for SURE.
Happy with just the one change though to give Wehr another run.

Wehr was not good man. I'm Angwin over Wehr at this stage for SURE.
Happy with just the one change though to give Wehr another run.

Wehr wasn’t that bad - but if he doesn’t hold his place I’d have Callaghan ahead of Angwin, I’d have McMullett ahead of Angwin, I’d have Peatling ahead of Angwin, I’d have Fahey ahead of Angwin, I’d have Rowston ahead of Angwin, I’d have Hamilton ahead of Angwin, I’d have Kenners ahead of Angwin (and he’s 8 weeks away)

Lachlan McKirdy with Gerard and Whitey on SEN Sports day this evening mentioned if we can get to 10k-12k for this game. Didn't say that's the amount the club was expecting but I'd say there must be something in it if the number is being thrown about.
If we get that it'd be awesome for a NM game. We average 4,950 against them (ok, 7260 once you take out the 350 from 2020).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back