Autopsy Round 1 2024 - GWS Giants v North Melbourne, 4.35 pm Saturday 16 March @ ENGIE Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitness staff have done an incredible job with Hogan. Couldn't play 4 games straight when he first got here. Looks as fit as he has ever been. One of our best recruits ever.
He deserves at least the salary of Himmelberg in my view. I wonder if Hogan resigning and Cadman developing well with Brown means Riccardi could be traded.

Our biggest crowd against North yeah? I mean it’s still a plus, especially when Pink, trackwork and weather are involved but damn this side deserves a full house each game.

The club needs to decide what it is, Western Sydney or Canberra.
Pick one.
I was going with my family of 3 until I read there is no parking.

Yeah heard a lot of those type of comments.

It hurt the crowd no doubt.

That and the possibility of rain.
Given the 21k crowd last week, I thought we would get at least 10k today. It was also a kids Recruits match, with free entry for their family as well a lot of promotions including 9 free Easter Show rides

Given the 21k crowd last week, I thought we would get at least 10k today. It was also a kids Recruits match, with free entry for their family as well a lot of promotions including 9 free Easter Show rides
When there is no parking and trackwork it makes it hard.

Add to that the possibility of rain, then the 3 game members etc would of definitely held off.

Scoreboard proably doesn't tell the story with how accurate they kicked but that was a big old ass kicking today, moved the ball at EASE today up and down the ground, ball movement is just flowing so well even there was a drop, smother, hand ball or a ball hits the deck they find a way to keep the chain moving.
  • Hogan was great, wasn't coming up against AFL caliber key defenders and took them to the woodshed which is what you want to see.
  • Green is a total monster now, was a bit worried his run in the back end of last year was a purple patch and might not be who he really is but he's looked every bit as good as that this year so far. Top 20 player and if the goal kicking is consistent we're having bigger conversations than that
  • Cadman once again flashed a bunch of moments, feels like he's had more woah/almost moments already this year than he did all of last year
  • Brown feels he's ready to be a steady contributor, his marking, size and athleticism is such an asset
  • Still would like to see Finn have a game where he really dominates and takes over or even just a half where we go woah, pretty steady contributor but would like to see him really pop one game if he's going to be one of the best mids in the comp, thought his kicking was off a few times in important moments
  • Encouraging to have a second big score in a row without Toby having much impact on the score board, so many options now up forward
  • Not sure there's any team out there with as much talent as we have, on every line there's players that are near the best at their position. Really think this team should win the flag this year, they're so loaded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When there is no parking and trackwork it makes it hard.

Add to that the possibility of rain, then the 3 game members etc would of definitely held off.

Our demographic is definitely quite young. it took me a while to grasp but just watch the videos from last week.

If parents can't get to SOP our numbers will dip.

In saying that, our numbers still show decent growth 😃

Last edited:
There are about 6500 Giants members in Canberra when the club did a geographical breakdown a couple of years ago.
Perhaps but they weren't donned in Giants gear for the Sun's game.

Looking forward to seeing what the make up is for the Saints and Lions game in the next couple weeks.

(Not disputing the Canberra numbers, just that they're Giants fans).

Crowd was better than some I’ve seen at GS, coming down from Canberra for it, the parking /trackwork stuff made it a nightmare.

4 points is 4 points but I was tearing my hair out with some of the ball use by XOH, who needs to focus on playing a more defensive/physical role like Ward does and a role to which he is suited. Ash also needs a bit of thought in his disposal, he had 1 Clanger for every 2 disposals which is just horrible.

Good signs that we aren’t so small forward reliant for our scoring. Very impressed with how Cadman is shaping up. I’m still unconvinced on Riccardi, I think he may well be a flat track bully.

Been in the comp 14 years, played in a GF and are the faves for the premiership this year.
Should be getting way more to the game than that today.
Maybe V'Landys is right about Rugba League.
And Jesse can go eat a fat one!
Wanna tell us how playing finals in another state helps the growth of the game in this state?

Our biggest crowd against North yeah? I mean it’s still a plus, especially when Pink, trackwork and weather are involved but damn this side deserves a full house each game.

The club needs to decide what it is, Western Sydney or Canberra.
Pick one.
OK, Canberra!

Expected 11-12k today based on our recent form and the growth in Members. Lots of excuses thrown around but 8k is poor and so disappointing.
The club is going for an average of 10k for our six home games (excluding Collingwood and Swans game). The club never mentioned the numbers for this game but it was always expected to be our least drawing and is still ahead of our Saints game last season.

The growth is there.

Been in the comp 14 years, played in a GF and are the faves for the premiership this year.
Should be getting way more to the game than that today.
Maybe V'Landys is right about Rugba League.
And Jesse can go eat a fat one!
There's an obvious discrepancy between claimed membership numbers, and those who turn up on match day. AFL is very much a niche code in Sydney, and we're a niche within a niche.

As for rugby league, V'Landys has been looking overseas, because there's little prospect of meaningful growth in Australia. Hence the talk of a team from New Guinea, and making a play for the US market.

It was strange watching it live because we never looked like losing, but we didn't make enough of the chances and it created a muted sense of frustration in the crowd.
This is not the time of year to be playing our best - as long as the wins rack up.
As mentioned XOH stunk it up on his 50th and Wehr looked waaaay out of his depth. Angwin has got to be next in line.
Tackling was not as strong as it should have been.
Umpiring was so damn weak it is now more than coincidence we get reamed by them most weeks.
A positive is that 2 AFL newbies I brought along had a great time. They'll be back again.

There's an obvious discrepancy between claimed membership numbers, and those who turn up on match day. AFL is very much a niche code in Sydney, and we're a niche within a niche.

As for rugby league, V'Landys has been looking overseas, because there's little prospect of meaningful growth in Australia. Hence the talk of a team from New Guinea, and making a play for the US market.
The club is up against a culture that doesn't rock up to games and is trying to get people to rock up each game.

In the Sydney context and for the least drawing game, I feel we've done well. Full carparks, trackwork, threat of rain and least drawing crowd.

The Giants could play at any time and my family and friends will rock up (5 of us today).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back