Autopsy Opening Round 2024, GWS Giants vs Collingwood, Saturday March 9, 7.30pm AEST, Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

The clear pressure was a massive stand out again which is essential

Bugger all tackles inside 50 which is different from last year
Good article on this stat: Footy Fix: Adam Kingsley gave Craig McRae an absolute coaching bath - and this utterly bonkers stat proves it

Since taking over at Collingwood at the end of 2021, Craig McRae has been, by almost every quantifiable measure and some of the unquantifiables as well, the best coach in the AFL. In his 52nd game in charge, never before has the reigning premiership winner been so comprehensively out-coached by the man in the other box.

By the same token, Adam Kingsley’s 27th game at GWS’ helm was unquestionably his finest. Against the league’s standard-bearers for electric, supremely skilled football, ruthless pressure and damaging efficiency, the Giants upped the ante in all facets, totally took apart the Magpies’ plans to stop their devastating run, and made mincemeat of a backline which was one of the league’s most miserly in 2023.

One absolutely extraordinary stat sums this up – it might honestly be the best statistic I’ve ever come across in a match. By match’s end, the Pies had 20 tackles inside their forward 50 – they averaged 9.5 last year, third-worst in the league. The Giants, 2023’s leaders in that category with 12.6 a game – thanks mainly to the suffocating pressure of Brent Daniels and Toby Bedford – had, to the 15-minute mark of the last quarter… zero. Nada. Zip.

Repeat inside 50 entries, and making sure any opposition rebounds were under sufficient pressure to force turnovers further afield, was a crucial element of the Giants’ style in 2023. So you’d normally expect, for them to not lay a single tackle in their forward 50, for them to be on the end of a severe hiding, with question marks over their effort and intensity. Not butchering the reigning premiers by 32 points in a match that felt even more one-sided than that by the end.

As to why, well, that had McRae and Kingsley’s fingerprints all over it. In order to try and stymy the Giants’ blistering run from half-back and out of the midfield on turnover, McRae had his defenders push far higher up the ground than normal. And it backfired quite spectacularly. McRae’s intent was surely to close up space for the Giants at the source, hemming them into defensive half, forcing them to try and move laterally. The gaps it created further afield would, ideally, be irrelevant – GWS would never get down there.

The problem? The Giants were just too slick. They found gaps through the central corridor with gay abandon, slicing their way past the Pies’ press quickly and efficiently, leaving Moore and co. horrendously out of position. And once through, the Giants’ forwards made a beeline for their 50, usually goal side of their Pies defenders and with murderous, goal-scoring intent. It meant the Giants didn’t need to tackle inside 50 – the Pies were barely touching it in there to lay a tackle. With 24 inside 50s to half time for 10 goals and 15 scoring shots, you could expect to see the Giants hit the scoreboard every time it went inside 50.

The mainstream press is also playing up the Cox antics. In the end Cox lost and did not play well - he can talk the talk, but he didn’t walk the walk!

Kane Cornes in the article echoed the sentiment of most about Cox:
“If you’re going to talk a big game and act like a clown, we don’t mind it provided you play well,” Cornes told AFL Media.

“He didn’t touch the footy in the first half. He was a liability tonight. So if you’re going to say it’s a showground in the off-season and you’re going to do that with Mumford pre-game, you want to play better than you did tonight.

“I think he’s a bit of a laughing stock tonight. He’ll hit me back and say, ‘Well, I’ve got my premiership medal’. But I just thought he embarrassed himself in the lead up to this game and with his performance on the night.”

Is your club inquiring with the AFL about an opposition player making contact with one of your coaching staff prior to the game commencing ?

Last edited:
Only problem would be if playing Brisbane. It'll be awfully hard to differentiate between GIIIIIIIAANTS and LIIIIIOOONS in chant form.
Neither generally have enough traveling fans to really make it a problem. :D

Finally I just want to say it's an exciting time to be a Giants member. With that massive crowd, such a strong team, media engagement and growing membership numbers I really feel like we've taken the next step as a club. The future's looking very bright.
I saw it late last year and noticed again last night - we're getting the Sydney theatre goers into the crowd now. You can tell the ones, dressed up as if they were heading out into town rather than to a football game, they pile into Swans games but we never really got many... until now. That'll definitely juice the attendance numbers over time if we can keep up the attractive winning.

The mainstream press is also playing up the Cox antics. In the end Cox lost and did not play well - he can talk the talk, but he didn’t walk the walk!

Kane Cornes in the article echoed the sentiment of most about Cox:
“If you’re going to talk a big game and act like a clown, we don’t mind it provided you play well,” Cornes told AFL Media.

“He didn’t touch the footy in the first half. He was a liability tonight. So if you’re going to say it’s a showground in the off-season and you’re going to do that with Mumford pre-game, you want to play better than you did tonight.

“I think he’s a bit of a laughing stock tonight. He’ll hit me back and say, ‘Well, I’ve got my premiership medal’. But I just thought he embarrassed himself in the lead up to this game and with his performance on the night.”

Amazing stat and well done to Kingsley and coaching staff.Great running out of defensive 50..Easier to implement this when i reckon we are quicker overall than them..Geez u add Callaghan into that side to replace Ward and maybe Jones to replace Weir and theres some serious leg speed in the side...We Should mention also that Collingwood missed a lot of gettable set shots which could have made it a closer game

Amazing stat and well done to Kingsley and coaching staff.Great running out of defensive 50..Easier to implement this when i reckon we are quicker overall than them..Geez u add Callaghan into that side to replace Ward and maybe Jones to replace Weir and theres some serious leg speed in the side...We Should mention also that Collingwood missed a lot of gettable set shots which could have made it a closer game
Meant in reference to Tim Millers article on Kingsleys master-class in coaching

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the dees kicked their set shots I doubt the pies make the gf last year …. Bad kicking is bad footy

One little side note, doesn’t mean anything because the ball didn’t go anywhere near them, but for about 30 seconds in the 1st quarter the match-up was Darcy Moore on Harvey Thomas - then they both looked at one another realised how stupid it was and ran in opposite directions.
🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Collingwood's Mason Cox has apologised for bumping a GWS assistant coach on the field before their AFL Opening Round clash on Saturday.

The AFL asked Collingwood to explain what happened, with the club saying Cox was completing a rucking drill and asked for one more bounce from the umpire as GWS started its warm-ups in the centre circle. It was then that Cox ran through and bumped Mumford, who was holding a ruck pad for his players to practice on.

The American apologised for the contact. "In the moment, I was solely focused on getting one more bounce in," he said in a club statement. "In hindsight, I should have stopped my run-up rather than completing the drill." Collingwood's general manager of football, Brendon Bolton, said "it was a period of transition in the centre circle" but acknowledged "making contact with opposition officials or players pre-game should be avoided".

Collingwood's Mason Cox has apologised for bumping a GWS assistant coach on the field before their AFL Opening Round clash on Saturday.

The AFL asked Collingwood to explain what happened, with the club saying Cox was completing a rucking drill and asked for one more bounce from the umpire as GWS started its warm-ups in the centre circle. It was then that Cox ran through and bumped Mumford, who was holding a ruck pad for his players to practice on.

The American apologised for the contact. "In the moment, I was solely focused on getting one more bounce in," he said in a club statement. "In hindsight, I should have stopped my run-up rather than completing the drill." Collingwood's general manager of football, Brendon Bolton, said "it was a period of transition in the centre circle" but acknowledged "making contact with opposition officials or players pre-game should be avoided".

So the AFL fine Alastair Clarkson $20k for a verbal with players then what precedent does this set for a player who made physical contact with a coach (Mummy).
Be interesting to see what happens next. I know Clarko has been a repeat offender though.

I guess for most people it’s funny that Mason acts like a clown and had zero impact on field give most of us the last laugh. What a tool!

Anyways it has helped get a few headlines and adds to the theatre of it all. If only Mummy was playing that would’ve been worth the admission! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Great win. Would’ve been sweeter if Mummy knocked out that knobhead Cox
Yeah that would have been great for the game.

There was very little in it, GWS and Mummy were not overly concerned about it.
Although that wasn't scripted by Cox, it was still a nice continuation of the back and forth between the clubs for the lead up.

It is great for the growth of our great game in Sydney.

Collingwood know we are the villains there and we are ok with that, as there is a bigger picture to be looked at and that is growing the game.

I hope it becomes a regular fixture to have the opening round against GWS at home, as it is good for football.
Also GWS are fun to watch, so I love playing them.

But yes you go with blatant violence to grow the game.
I think we know who the knobhead is.

Yeah that would have been great for the game.

There was very little in it, GWS and Mummy were not overly concerned about it.
Although that wasn't scripted by Cox, it was still a nice continuation of the back and forth between the clubs for the lead up.

It is great for the growth of our great game in Sydney.

Collingwood know we are the villains there and we are ok with that, as there is a bigger picture to be looked at and that is growing the game.

I hope it becomes a regular fixture to have the opening round against GWS at home, as it is good for football.
Also GWS are fun to watch, so I love playing them.

But yes you go with blatant violence to grow the game.
I think we know who the knobhead is.
I agree with pretty much all you say, especially the regular fixturing. But the shot about violence to grow the game? Come on, plenty gets said on team boards that is just piss and wind ... look at pies fans enjoying Blanck doing his knee.

But nice input and come back anytime, dude!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back