Preview Round 2 2024 – West Coast Eagles vs GWS Giants, Sunday March 24, 6.50pm AEDT, Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Has been a few years since I’ve been in that neck of Sydney. Google maps doesn’t seem like the exterior has changed at all.

Wonder what it’s like inside
Never been but interior looks great on the inside from what I've seen. Seems there's been a recent reno.

Hope with all the upcoming pub/bar hopping we find/make a pub ours in the west where a good portion of our fan base can easily attend. 😀

It's time.

Never been but interior looks great on the inside from what I've seen. Seems there's been a recent reno.

Hope with all the upcoming pub/bar hopping we find/make a pub ours in the west where a good portion of our fan base can easily attend. 😀

It's time.
Sure is. But like anything it is very dependant on where you live.

If it was 2015 and I was back in Leppington, I wouldn’t be going for beers at Silverwater.

Sure is. But like anything it is very dependant on where you live.

If it was 2015 and I was back in Leppington, I wouldn’t be going for beers at Silverwater.
It is, you could possibly also say similar for those in Penrith or the lower BMs.

I think the purpose is to find a home for us for our away games that is preferred for most of us to attend, though. Which I think is a great idea. We'll see how it goes.

It probably won't be as easy finding an Aussie Rules friendly pub in the western suburbs. Even if we find an Aussie Rules friendly publican we need to turn up in numbers and spend enough to make it worthwhile for any publican to play our game /host us regularly over any other sport.

For disclosure - I live about 15 km away from the first location and think the location doesn't have the best PT connectivity (50 minutes for me, for example, via PT). I'm still happily going as I'm glad we have a location we can gather for this game and try out.

Most roads, public transport lead to Parramatta within our catchments (outside of Olympic Park), so hopefully this location is also explored. Though, I appreciate everyone with have their own ideas on where we should be hosted relative to where they live.

If we grow big enough we can possibly have multiple locations which based on my past reading, we did prior to covid. Pretty sure one was closer to Leppington also.

It's time.
West is a very large area. Makes it hard for a “club pub”.

Has been a few years since I’ve been in that neck of Sydney. Google maps doesn’t seem like the exterior has changed at all.

Wonder what it’s like inside
I've been there a few time over the years. It's very comfortable inside and there's plenty of parking.

Last edited:
When did the low rent Silverwater Club become a pub owned by the Colossimo’s?
Early last year apparently.

I drive past it every week and never noticed a change, but I think Dooley's did a fair bit of renos before offloading it.

It should be a relatively easy decision for the Giants at the selection table this week, given both Finn Callaghan (shoulder/foot) and Harry Perryman (hamstring) made it through last week's victory over the Kangaroos. Young forward Darcy Jones (knee) also made his comeback in a VFL practice match, but will need more time before he's considered for AFL selection. Don't expect many, if any, changes for Sunday's clash with the Eagles. – Riley Beveridge

The clear-cut move for the Eagles this week is to replace wingman Andrew Gaff with round one substitute Campbell Chesser. Adam Simpson confirmed that Gaff would look to build form in the WAFL after a disappointing start to the season, while Chesser impressed after coming on in the second half against Port Adelaide. Simpson will also need to shake up his talls after Oscar Allen's knee issue emerged. Harry Barnett could go into the ruck, allowing Bailey Williams to go forward to support Jack Darling, who managed just one goal and four disposals against the Power. Beyond that, draftee Clay Hall is pushing his case after a WAFL practice game at the weekend, with Coby Burgiel also impressive with four goals. – Nathan Schmook

R1 sub: Campbell Chesser (replaced Andrew Gaff)

I'd be playing Thomas this weekend, he's done well and I think 3 games as a block is a great achievement...I'd look to bring Darcy in after the bye.

That said...this would be a nice intro for a young player playing at home.

Apart from that I'm not changing anything. Wehr is probably the only one I've thought didn't look at the level. XOH has the intensity that can create good moments in our style even though his disposal is tough to handle sometimes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be playing Thomas this weekend, he's done well and I think 3 games as a block is a great achievement...I'd look to bring Darcy in after the bye.

Apart from that I'm not changing anything. Wehr is probably the only one I've thought didn't look at the level. XOH has the intensity that can create good moments in our style even though his disposal is tough to handle sometimes.
I agree. Keep it settled and give them an opportunity to improve.
I wouldn't be surprised if Haynes is a starter because he looked good.

Looks a fair way off doesn’t he?

Yeah I think the only change I'd make would be Swapping Haynes into Wehr's position and making Wehr the sub.

I've noticed every time there's a one on one contest in the air with Wehr and his opponent he seems to get out-competed, mostly just because of height and size. Wouldn't have that problem with Haynes.

Not having any option in the western suburbs is still worse, IMO.

The clubs new strategy will be to target areas closer in to our stadium, having somewhere relatively local will be a great thing for all, even as an option. 😄
Honestly, considering the time slot, I would be surprised if more than 20 people turn up on Sunday.

But a great initiative that the club should be patted on the back for trying.

Not having any option in the western suburbs is still worse, IMO.

The clubs new strategy will be to target areas closer in to our stadium, having somewhere relatively local will be a great thing for all, even as an option. 😄

Yeah true.

Inner west, Hills to Blacktown seems to be the target.

Maybe the club can build a club, pokieless. If they want, nearby.
Not like Sydney Olympic Park couldn’t do with more food/drink options.

Yeah true.

Inner west, Hills to Blacktown seems to be the target.

Maybe the club can build a club, pokieless. If they want, nearby.
Not like Sydney Olympic Park couldn’t do with more food/drink options.
Pokie-less has to be the standard.

Wouldn’t mind if we looked at a club like Leichhardt Bowling Club as “the venue”

Very close to light rail options as well as the city.

Might be too “Lesser Western” Sydney but they’re a dynamic club with zero pokies and a great community feel.

Honestly, considering the time slot, I would be surprised if more than 20 people turn up on Sunday.

Rough time slot. But at least it's an option. 20 would be fine.

Can't do much about the timeslot, I'm afraid. I'm not keen for the timeslot given it's a Sunday but I'll head over.

Should be trying new things and we'll end up with more favorable away game timeslots during the season, e.g. gather round.

Thinking there’ll be some pressure to push out XOH and Wehr. Their disposal (esp XOH) was very poor.

I’m most excited to see Darcey Jones and he could debut, especially being a WA boy and us playing in Perth! Sounds
Like he was very effective in the 2’s last weekend.

The bigger ground at Optus should suit our tsunami game style and our resilience playing on the road at the tail end of last season has me more confident that non the past.

Need to get scoring early and keep the crowd out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In the presser after the match Kingers said “X was reasonable”.’

That’s a nice way of saying that he didn’t quite do as expected.

I have a feeling he may go to Sub and Haynes get a full game

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back