Autopsy Round 2 2024 – West Coast Eagles vs GWS Giants, Sunday March 24, 6.50pm AEDT, Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Well, it wasn’t exactly the thirty goals Damo was expecting, but thirty-six scoring shots showed our heart was in the right place.

Like a few others, I found myself getting frustrated more than anything else, probably due to expectations. Perhaps we’ve sub-consciously bought into the hype about being flag favourites which, according to the bookies, we are. At this stage of the season, we need to put a lid on it, like some of the more experienced clubs.

Round 2 sees us play lowly West Coast, a team at the opposite end of the spectrum. Pipped at the post by North for the wooden spoon in 2022, they swapped places last year. Only three wins. And we were their biggest scalp. Embarrassing. In fact, Optus Stadium was the only venue we didn’t win at.

This time, boys, that just won’t do. Here’s the likely line-up:

FB [36] Harry Perryman, [15] Sam Taylor, [39] Connor Idun
HB [6] Lachie Whitfield, [44] Jack Buckley, [7] Lachie Ash
C [10] Jacob Wehr, [22] Josh Kelly, [17] Finn Callaghan
HF [16] Brent Daniels, [26] Jake Riccardi, [14] Toby Bedford
FF [4] Toby Greene, [23] Jesse Hogan, [46] Callum M. Brown
FOL [32] Kieren Briggs, [3] Stephen Coniglio, [12] Tom Green

IC [5] Aaron Cadman, [27] Harry Himmelberg, [28] Harvey Thomas, [33] Xavier O'Halloran

SUB [19] Nick Haynes

In other words, no change. What could we do that would make a meaningful difference? We got through last night without any headline injuries. There’s no-one we’d like back who’s available in the short term. I know X made a few mistakes and got subbed, but he does bring a kind of muscular enthusiasm to the side. Kingsley wasn’t too harsh on him in the presser and I don’t think he’ll get dropped. The most important thing for what we want is a stable team and settled game plan.

Fun fact: Guess which Giant had the lowest disposal efficiency against North? By the proverbial country mile? It was none other than TFG! But even royalty is allowed an off day every now and then.

So, what can we expect on Sunday? Despite their troubles, the Eagles put up a respectable fight against Port and can still draw a crowd at home. After what happened last year, they’ll think they’re a chance if we fluff our lines.

3-0 would be a very handy start, Giants. We’d better not lose this.

Named teams:

WCE v GWS.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Game day! Simmofreo - what's the weather like in the west, today? BoM says sunny, high of 29 degrees and no chance of rain. If so, should be great conditions for a good game of footy. We just need to stick to our processes, and improve our execution. The score will take care of itself.
I remember many years ago, when the Eagles were in disarray over Ben Cousins, the Swans played them in Perth, expecting it to be an easy win and percentage booster.

Instead, the Eagles turned on an absolute blinder. The Swans scraped home by less than a goal.

Times might have changed, but I've never forgotten how hard it can be to win in Perth.

I hope we've switched ourselves on.

I remember many years ago, when the Eagles were in disarray over Ben Cousins, the Swans played them in Perth, expecting it to be an easy win and percentage booster.

Instead, the Eagles turned on an absolute blinder. The Swans scraped home by less than a goal.

Times might have changed, but I've never forgotten how hard it can be to win in Perth.

I hope we've switched ourselves on.
I’d be flat if we revert to the Lolly Leon “Ferrari” mentality for this game.

Foot on throats. 10 goal win please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back