Autopsy Opening Round 2024, GWS Giants vs Collingwood, Saturday March 9, 7.30pm AEST, Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Second half of last year was the best Riccardi had ever looked and the hope was that he was going to be able to carry that over into this year and continue that form all the way through however seemed like he was the Riccardi of old this past week. 4 touches and is completely uninvolved only 1 game so not ready to throw it out completely and if this is the Cadman we get on a consistent basis (unlikely) then it might sting a bit less but we need more from him. Thought it was risky signing him to a 3 year deal last year off only half a good season and it popped up again. On Cadman though that was easily his best game to date, the marking was really strong at time but was just flying into contests and bringing it to ground in outnumbered situation, took a few really good marks through contact and converted his opportunities for the most part. If he can keep stacking weeks like this together then it'll be really exciting, maybe the first game he's had where not all of the pieces are put together but you can start to see the vision with him. Overall thought that was a really good win, Pies are going to be one of the best teams in the comp and we pretty much pantsed them, although we were pretty much fully healthy and no real key players were healthy it's still nice to know that we got a couple more good pieces to add to the side in the coming weeks. To score 110+ with Toby having what will be one of the worst games of his season is super impressive, have multiple different avenues for goals to come from is so handy. Hogan was great, Daniels is one of the best smalls in the comp, Brown exploded not going to get from him every week but if he can get to 25-30 goals this year that'll be a nice boost and then we'll see how it goes with Cadman.

The only thing I would disagree with those comments Hendo_21 is about Toby having one of his worst games of the season. I know you've classified it as "of the season", but while it may be from the perspective of kicking goals, he did plenty around the ground and provided 4 goal assists (equal best on the ground). It was super impressive that we shared the scoring around - and that's exactly what we need to do in order to be one of the best teams this year. I know that you're not being overly critical of Tobes, but I just wanted to make the point that contributing isn't limited to just kicking the goals.

In regards Riccardi, we'll need to see how the season goes. I agree with your sentiment, but equally, rarely do teams have 2 or 3 KPDs all bagging high tallies in the one game - they tend to share it around. Look at Brisbane with Daniher & Hipwood, Walker & Fogarty at Adelaide, even Curnow & McKay at Carlton (probably the most highly rated pair of KPDs in the current game).

I know Toby's stats were down but he had 4 goal assists and he blocked space for Cadman and Hogan and allowed Brown to play loose. He's about the only medium forward that gets double-teamed. As mentioned, the 114 points is great no matter who's kicking them.
Was also the victim of 5 FA ... most of which were total bollocks

Just regarding the Mason Cox pre-game issue, fairly much a media storm in a teacup.

This article featuring comments from Cox probably encapsulates it well enough from his perspective: ‘That’s the full story’: Cox reveals what really happened in pre-game Giants ‘debacle’

The 55 second clip from Adam Kingsley at the start of this article neatly sums up the GWS view:

Personally, while Mason Cox can be a bit of a dick at times, I don't mind him having a "personality" so it's not something that overly riles me up, and the pre-game media sledging was all in good fun and helped to sell the game. Others may hold a different view, and that's fine. Probably would have been better not to run into Mummy, but he's apologised for that. Case closed for mine.

Just regarding the Mason Cox pre-game issue, fairly much a media storm in a teacup.

This article featuring comments from Cox probably encapsulates it well enough from his perspective: ‘That’s the full story’: Cox reveals what really happened in pre-game Giants ‘debacle’

The 55 second clip from Adam Kingsley at the start of this article neatly sums up the GWS view:

Personally, while Mason Cox can be a bit of a dick at times, I don't mind him having a "personality" so it's not something that overly riles me up, and the pre-game media sledging was all in good fun and helped to sell the game. Others may hold a different view, and that's fine. Probably would have been better not to run into Mummy, but he's apologised for that. Case closed for mine.
It was the disrespect in running into mummy that was the only issue … Cox admitted his error in asking for another bounce as the giants were moving into position to practice…. He’s apologized and all good

Mason Cox has received a warning and nothing more from AFL House for making contact with a GWS assistant coach prior to Collingwood’s loss to the Giants on Saturday night, an incident that has dominated headlines since. Cox was savaged and hit with a ‘please explain’ on Sunday after footage emerged of him running through a GWS centre bounce drill prior to Satuday’s game, but the extended footage showed a different narrative.

An AFL statement dictated the league’s position. “Whilst the umpire did agree to another bounce as requested by Cox, it nevertheless should have been plainly apparent to Cox that GWS coach Mumford and multiple GWS players had congregated in the centre circle by the time the relevant bounce occurred,” it read. “Noting Cox's contrition and the club's commitment in supporting him to be more aware in the future, the AFL has determined to issue a reprimand to Cox and take no further action. It is important that all players conduct themselves professionally particularly during breaks and in the periods prior to and following matches.”

AFL executive GM of footy Laura Kane also weighed in. “Mason has been provided with a warning and that's been communicated to the Collingwood Football Club,” Kane told AFL Media. “It's not something we want to see, players interacting physically with opposition staff members or players in the pre-game warm-up. It's not a feature we want to see in the elite game, nor at community level.”

The Pies had apologised for the incident on Monday with Cox accepting some wrongdoing for completing the drill and making contact with GWS ruck coach Shane Mumford.

GWS did not raise the issue with the AFL.

Mason Cox has received a warning and nothing more from AFL House for making contact with a GWS assistant coach prior to Collingwood’s loss to the Giants on Saturday night, an incident that has dominated headlines since. Cox was savaged and hit with a ‘please explain’ on Sunday after footage emerged of him running through a GWS centre bounce drill prior to Satuday’s game, but the extended footage showed a different narrative.

An AFL statement dictated the league’s position. “Whilst the umpire did agree to another bounce as requested by Cox, it nevertheless should have been plainly apparent to Cox that GWS coach Mumford and multiple GWS players had congregated in the centre circle by the time the relevant bounce occurred,” it read. “Noting Cox's contrition and the club's commitment in supporting him to be more aware in the future, the AFL has determined to issue a reprimand to Cox and take no further action. It is important that all players conduct themselves professionally particularly during breaks and in the periods prior to and following matches.”

AFL executive GM of footy Laura Kane also weighed in. “Mason has been provided with a warning and that's been communicated to the Collingwood Football Club,” Kane told AFL Media. “It's not something we want to see, players interacting physically with opposition staff members or players in the pre-game warm-up. It's not a feature we want to see in the elite game, nor at community level.”

The Pies had apologised for the incident on Monday with Cox accepting some wrongdoing for completing the drill and making contact with GWS ruck coach Shane Mumford.

GWS did not raise the issue with the AFL.
Feels like a total non issue? Cox is a bit of a dork for doing it but ultimately don't care, can't believe it's been discussed as much as it has.

AFL STATEMENT – MASON COX

The AFL has completed its inquiries in relation to Mason Cox’s conduct prior to the commencement of the Opening Round AFL Match between GWS GIANTS and Collingwood at Engie Stadium.

After receiving a statement from Collingwood and Mason, speaking with the umpire and reviewing the vision, whilst the umpire did agree to another bounce as requested by Cox, it nevertheless should have been plainly apparent to Cox that GWS Coach Mumford and multiple GWS players had congregated in the centre circle by the time the relevant bounce occurred.

Noting Cox’s contrition and the Club’s commitment in supporting him to be more aware in the future, the AFL has determined to issue a reprimand to Cox and take no further action.

It is important that all players conduct themselves professionally particularly during breaks and in the periods prior to and following matches.

It legit sounds like nobody is there on 7 telecasts. The only noise you hear is 'ball' and a cheer after a goal. I'm not sure what they do with the audio, but they even manage to make 90k crowds sound boring, sterile and uninterested, so what can we expect with 20k. This has been a bugbear of mine for 2 or 3 years.

I don't mean to quote my own post here, but I managed to work out the email address of Lewis Martin who heads 7's AFL coverage.

I'm going to send him an email about the lack of atmosphere in 7s AFL coverage, that Section226 raised.

It's more the background noise during play than anything, there practically is none (for example Toby running into goal on the angle, stone silence, big contest, zero noise, start of the quarter, could hear a pin drop etc). It was even noticeable in last year's grand final with 100k in attendance.

These guys typically only look into things that they receive a bulk number of complaints about, so if you'd like to email him as well, it might resonate and help lift this annoying bugbear off everybody's shoulders. The more the merrier!

lewis.martin@seven.com.au

If it's not that, it will less likely be
l.martin@seven.com.au (I'm going to bcc that in).

Last edited:
This is probably a bit late out by afl.com as we're more focussed on the upcoming game, but a decent story about the planning and coaching for the Pies game - be prepared for a long read though:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back