Unofficial Preview 2nd Elimination Final 2023 - St Kilda v GWS Giants, 3.20 pm 9 September, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking through finals I’m feeling a gws vs collingwood grand final. One game at a time though. Butler and higgins are a threat this game. Maybe Ash and whitfield on them?
Depends on the make-up of the side. If Taylor is in, then Idun will likely to go to one; he's the better 1 v 1 defender with speed and can rebound. Taylor-Buckley-Himmelberg will pick up the taller players. If not, then Idun will be needed on one of the taller forwards. It's likely that Perryman will be used as well, he's our defensive defender. We'll rotate all of those players, so it's unlikely to be 100% of the time whoever does pick them up.

Taylor would be a huge inclusion. Just a massive difference having Buckley playing that second tall role. Makes us reeeallly hard to score on. Perfect match up for King.
I think our Mids could get hold of the Saints. Really want Bedford back. To play a final in his first year with us would be huge.

Here's a graph with the Defensive 1-on-1 loss rate (Y-axis) versus number of defensive contests (X-axis) for Key Defenders:

(They don't have the option for the actual win rate, but previous stories this year had identified Taylor was leading in that regard.)

Jack Buckley gets to the most contests, and still has a very good loss rate; having 2 such defensive guns in our team (if we can keep them both on the park together) sets up an amazing defence.

2023 KPD 1-on-1 Loss Rate vs Contests.png

Jeez he'd be handy but playing with fire with an achilles.
I'd love them both in of course.
If we are able to get over the Saints (big IF). I'd rather have Taylor for the next games 😉
As someone who has suffered chronic Achilles tendonitis, I can vouch from several physios that the pain didn’t put me at significantly further risk of an Achilles tear etc. it is painful and debilitating (can only run at 80%)

But it might not be a ‘risk’ as much as it is a performance thing if that makes sense

Ps a lot of guessing in my post here about what his problem might be

Depends on the make-up of the side. If Taylor is in, then Idun will likely to go to one; he's the better 1 v 1 defender with speed and can rebound. Taylor-Buckley-Himmelberg will pick up the taller players. If not, then Idun will be needed on one of the taller forwards. It's likely that Perryman will be used as well, he's our defensive defender. We'll rotate all of those players, so it's unlikely to be 100% of the time whoever does pick them up.
I’d like to see idun to Higgins

I rate that matchup

Do we use ward in a defensive role like we did against the dogs?

Locking up Sinclair could go a long way to hurting their rebound and ball movement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back