Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final 2023 - St Kilda Saints v GWS Giants, 3.20 pm 9 September, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do a phantom draft each year on the Carlton board about a month before the Draft. I watch a bit of U18's so i have a crack each year. We've had September off for a long time lol.

Anyways, in Sam Taylor's year i was picking for Geelong and i selected Taylor at 23, Shorty Daniels at 51 and Connor Idun at 61. I must have been on the same wavelength as the Giants recruiters that year. I follow all the kids i pick in those things.

Taylor of course is a recognised Star now. Everyone is onto Shorty Daniels by now. But the one who i came here to congratulate is Connor Idun. He still flies under the radar outside GWS circles but i've been watching and admiring for 2 years now. He's a ripper.

Congrats on beating your unbelievable travel schedule and winning at least 1 final.

So happy, just a complete, composed, classy win.

First impressions:

Tom Green - Outstanding just an unstoppable beast
Whitfield - played the MCG game we knew he was capable of, a running machine
Kelly - stood up and was the leader we needed
Briggs - the new Mumford, tough, smart
Idun - So composed, saved us on multiple occasions
Ash - the backline QB, plays a Luke Hodge role and grows every game
Buckley - he has taken the Phil Davis role and made it his own, quiet achiever
Daniels - so important, does so much unseen and unrewarded stuff that enables us to win, a dead set star.
Brown - an athlete who has nerves of steel.
Riccardi - his best game in ages, he has grown so much this year and played terrific.

And my favourite -

Finna Callaghan - this kid is silky class, we are so much better when he plays, his ceiling is through the roof. Just stay on the park lad and you will be a superstar!!!!

Probably missed a bunch of others, couldn’t be more proud, love this team to bits ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Briggs was massive in the win and credit to Kingsley (and other coaches) for getting the best out of the players with so many keeping on improving and the game plan working
I didnt see finals on the radar for this year and thought a developing year with a few players getting games and experience to see where they fit but a good injury run (Touch wood) and better seasons by the players has made this all possible and a tough challenge next week but always a chance with this team

First side to ever win at 11 different venues in a single season.

by comparison, picking another team totally at random…

Collingwood’s most recent 11 different venues:

MCG - 2023
Docklands - 2023
Gabba - 2023
Adelaide Oval - 2023
Optus Oval - 2023
Metricon - 2023

SCG - 2022

Giants Stadium - 2020

Subiaco - 2017

Stadium Australia - 2014

Football Park - 2013

bit hard to win at 11 venues in a season WHEN YOU DON‘T TRAVEL!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back