Preview 2nd Elimination Final 2023 - St Kilda Saints v GWS Giants, 3.20 pm 9 September, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Congratulations to both St Kilda and GWS, two sides who missed the 8 last season, but improved to make it into finals in season 2023. Both sides have ridden the wave of new coaches - Ross 'The Boss' Lyon for the Saints and Adam Kingsley for GWS - to progress to the finals series. However, the route to the finals has been significantly different for each. For St Kilda, it all seemed to come together early in the year, despite early injuries, and they have never been out of the top 8. In contrast, GWS went 3-7 to start the season, and still sat fourth last in round 12, before going on a 7-game winning streak to hit the 8, then lose two games and drop out, before sealing a spot in the finals by defeating fifth on the ladder in the very last home and away game. A huge effort by Adam Kingsley and the team, setting a number of records along the way, including equalling the most venues in which a team was victorious in a season. In fact, (I think) for the first time ever, GWS has a better away record than a home record. We'll need to call on every ounce of that experience if we are to go deep into September this year. But let's just start with the first game: St Kilda vs GWS at the 'G on Saturday afternoon next.

Here's the AFL.com.au mock team for St Kilda:

ST KILDA

B:
Josh Battle, Callum Wilkie, Jimmy Webster
HB: Zaine Cordy, Jack Sinclair, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
C: Mitch Owens, Seb Ross, Mason Wood
HF: Jade Gresham, Brad Hill, Jack Higgins
F: Tim Membrey, Max King, Mattaes Phillipou
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steele, Brad Crouch
I/C: Liam Stocker, Dan Butler, Cooper Sharman, Marcus Windhager
Emerg: Ryan Byrnes, Hunter Clark, Jack Hayes, Jack Billings

In: Seb Ross, Max King
Out:
Hunter Clark, Jack Hayes

UNAVAILABLE: Daniel McKenzie, Zak Jones

They have a solid team with strong scoring capacity across their talls (Max King in particular, who kicked 4 goals to win our 2023 clash), mediums (Membrey, Phillipou and Sharman) and smalls (Higgins, Butler). However, they are the lowest scoring team in the 8, so capacity has not always translated into actual scores. They also have an outstanding defence, which is the best in the league in 2023, led by their AA KPD Callum Wilkie. Their midfield is solid, led by former-Giant Jack Steele, and former-Crow Brad Crouch, but they've had an up-and-down year where they've dominated some games, and been heavily beaten in others. Similar to us. Rowan Marshall has been in excellent form in the ruck, and his duel with Kerien Briggs will certainly be a factor in how this game goes.

For the Giants, there's still three player issues to factor in: Toby Bedford at the tribunal, and Sam Taylor and Finn Callaghan's injuries. If they are all available, that would be close to our best side all year, and I'd see it stack up as below:

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B:
Harry Himmelberg, Jack Buckley, Connor Idun
HB:
Lachie Whitfield, Sam Taylor, Lachie Ash
C:
Isaac Cumming, Stephen Coniglio, Finn Callaghan
HF:
Toby Greene, Jake Riccardi, Toby Bedford
F:
Brent Daniels, Jesse Hogan, Daniel Lloyd
FOLL:
Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Josh Kelly
I/C: Callan Ward, Lachie Keeffe, Harry Perryman, Callum Brown
EMG from:
Ryan Angwin, Nick Haynes, Matt Flynn, Josh Fahey, Xavier O'Halloran (in, if Bedford is suspended)

In:
Sam Taylor, Finn Callaghan,
Out:
Ryan Angwin, Nick Haynes, Toby McMullin

UNAVAILABLE: Leek Aleer (toe), Adam Kennedy (knee) + possibly: Toby Bedford (suspended), Sam Taylor (injury), Finn Callaghan (injury)

Although now available, I don't think that O'Halloran pushes his way ahead of the 22 named; realistically, it would be Dan Lloyd, but I think we'll retain Dan. XOH only gets a gig if Toby Bedford doesn't escape the clutches of the judiciary. If Sam doesn't get up, I'd think Haynes would play, while presumably it would be Angwin or Fahey for Finn.

If Taylor is cleared to play, we have an outstanding defensive line-up that rivals Saints, able to both lock down and prevent scores, and rebound and start the orange tsunami. The statistics behind the rise of GWS from midway through the season show a tremendous pressure game - both in the forward 50, and in the defensive 50, with an ability to transition from defence into attack. On the back of our runners such as Whitfield, Ash, Cumming, Bedford and Daniels. Briggs has been a revelation since taking the ruck position, and is tremendous in winning clearances and tackling. The midfield of Green, Coniglio and Kelly - supported by Ward, Callaghan and XOH when available - had been very good overall, albeit having their colours lowered in a few games through out the season. Green leads the comp for disposals and contested possessions, while Cogs and Jelly feature highly in scoring chains. They will need to match up against the Saints with their best.

Having Bedford available will be important. He and Binga add so much to our whole game as well as the forward game, as they add speed and pressure. Hogan needs to reprise his form against the Bombers, where he seemed to drop nothing, and kicked straight. Toby will be an ever-present threat, and hopefully he'll be primed to perform at the G. We need to avoid kicking high bombs into F50, which allows Wilkie to play his intercepting game.

Hopefully this is a great game, with both teams performing at their peak, and GWS winning in the end. It can be won and lost in any of the three lines, but if GWS brings the best they've produced in 2023, then we most certainly have the capability to beat the Saints. If the boys can be buoyed by Toby's AA outcomes, and if Slammer, Snooze and Finn are all there, and AK can pull out another coaching gameplan masterpiece, then we can progress to week 2.

What are other posters' thoughts: where will it be won or lost in your view; and if Slammer, Snooze and Finn don't play, who comes in for the, in your opinion?

Sam Taylor injury comment:

GWS star Sam Taylor is still in doubt for the elimination final against St Kilda on Saturday. Taylor was a late out of his side’s win over Carlton in the final round with a hamstring injury. While he was seen running laps at the Giants’ training yesterday, Taylor failed to take part in team drills.

Coach Adam Kingsley remains optimistic his star defender will be able to take on the Saints – and shut down Max King. “Sam had a training session prior to the main group, he is still in rehab but ahead of schedule so I am really pleased with how he is looking,” Kingsley said on ABC Radio. “I would say he is probably hitting 90 per cent today which is a great sign this early.”

Congratulations to both St Kilda and GWS, two sides who missed the 8 last season, but improved to make it into finals in season 2023. Both sides have ridden the wave of new coaches - Ross 'The Boss' Lyon for the Saints and Adam Kingsley for GWS - to progress to the finals series. However, the route to the finals has been significantly different for each. For St Kilda, it all seemed to come together early in the year, despite early injuries, and they have never been out of the top 8. In contrast, GWS went 3-7 to start the season, and still sat fourth last in round 12, before going on a 7-game winning streak to hit the 8, then lose two games and drop out, before sealing a spot in the finals by defeating fifth on the ladder in the very last home and away game. A huge effort by Adam Kingsley and the team, setting a number of records along the way, including equalling the most venues in which a team was victorious in a season. In fact, (I think) for the first time ever, GWS has a better away record than a home record. We'll need to call on every ounce of that experience if we are to go deep into September this year. But let's just start with the first game: St Kilda vs GWS at the 'G on Saturday afternoon next.

Here's the AFL.com.au mock team for St Kilda:

ST KILDA

B:
Josh Battle, Callum Wilkie, Jimmy Webster
HB: Zaine Cordy, Jack Sinclair, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
C: Mitch Owens, Seb Ross, Mason Wood
HF: Jade Gresham, Brad Hill, Jack Higgins
F: Tim Membrey, Max King, Mattaes Phillipou
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steele, Brad Crouch
I/C: Liam Stocker, Dan Butler, Cooper Sharman, Marcus Windhager
Emerg: Ryan Byrnes, Hunter Clark, Jack Hayes, Jack Billings

In: Seb Ross, Max King
Out: Hunter Clark, Jack Hayes

UNAVAILABLE: Daniel McKenzie, Zak Jones

They have a solid team with strong scoring capacity across their talls (Max King in particular, who kicked 4 goals to win our 2023 clash), mediums (Membrey, Phillipou and Sharman) and smalls (Higgins, Butler). However, they are the lowest scoring team in the 8, so capacity has not always translated into actual scores. They also have an outstanding defence, which is the best in the league in 2023, led by their AA KPD Callum Wilkie. Their midfield is solid, led by former-Giant Jack Steele, and former-Crow Brad Crouch, but they've had an up-and-down year where they've dominated some games, and been heavily beaten in others. Similar to us. Rowan Marshall has been in excellent form in the ruck, and his duel with Kerien Briggs will certainly be a factor in how this game goes.

For the Giants, there's still three player issues to factor in: Toby Bedford at the tribunal, and Sam Taylor and Finn Callaghan's injuries. If they are all available, that would be close to our best side all year, and I'd see it stack up as below:

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B:
Harry Himmelberg, Jack Buckley, Connor Idun
HB: Lachie Whitfield, Sam Taylor, Lachie Ash
C: Isaac Cumming, Stephen Coniglio, Finn Callaghan
HF: Toby Greene, Jake Riccardi, Toby Bedford
F: Brent Daniels, Jesse Hogan, Daniel Lloyd
FOLL: Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Josh Kelly
I/C: Callan Ward, Lachie Keeffe, Harry Perryman, Callum Brown
EMG from: Ryan Angwin, Nick Haynes, Matt Flynn, Josh Fahey, Xavier O'Halloran (in, if Bedford is suspended)

In: Sam Taylor, Finn Callaghan,
Out: Ryan Angwin, Nick Haynes, Toby McMullin

UNAVAILABLE: Leek Aleer (toe), Adam Kennedy (knee) + possibly: Toby Bedford (suspended), Sam Taylor (injury), Finn Callaghan (injury)

Although now available, I don't think that O'Halloran pushes his way ahead of the 22 named; realistically, it would be Dan Lloyd, but I think we'll retain Dan. XOH only gets a gig if Toby Bedford doesn't escape the clutches of the judiciary. If Sam doesn't get up, I'd think Haynes would play, while presumably it would be Angwin or Fahey for Finn.

If Taylor is cleared to play, we have an outstanding defensive line-up that rivals Saints, able to both lock down and prevent scores, and rebound and start the orange tsunami. The statistics behind the rise of GWS from midway through the season show a tremendous pressure game - both in the forward 50, and in the defensive 50, with an ability to transition from defence into attack. On the back of our runners such as Whitfield, Ash, Cumming, Bedford and Daniels. Briggs has been a revelation since taking the ruck position, and is tremendous in winning clearances and tackling. The midfield of Green, Coniglio and Kelly - supported by Ward, Callaghan and XOH when available - had been very good overall, albeit having their colours lowered in a few games through out the season. Green leads the comp for disposals and contested possessions, while Cogs and Jelly feature highly in scoring chains. They will need to match up against the Saints with their best.

Having Bedford available will be important. He and Binga add so much to our whole game as well as the forward game, as they add speed and pressure. Hogan needs to reprise his form against the Bombers, where he seemed to drop nothing, and kicked straight. Toby will be an ever-present threat, and hopefully he'll be primed to perform at the G. We need to avoid kicking high bombs into F50, which allows Wilkie to play his intercepting game.

Hopefully this is a great game, with both teams performing at their peak, and GWS winning in the end. It can be won and lost in any of the three lines, but if GWS brings the best they've produced in 2023, then we most certainly have the capability to beat the Saints. If the boys can be buoyed by Toby's AA outcomes, and if Slammer, Snooze and Finn are all there, and AK can pull out another coaching gameplan masterpiece, then we can progress to week 2.

What are other posters' thoughts: where will it be won or lost in your view; and if Slammer, Snooze and Finn don't play, who comes in for the, in your opinion?
Excuse the intrusion…

Really good preview and opening post.
You've pretty much nailed it for the Saints.

Defense - tick. Everything you said.

Forwards and scoring - tick, although I should qualify this by saying that our 2 forwards who kicked >80 goals last year, in King and Membrey, have played together only twice this season as both have missed a significant amount of games. To have two first year players in Caminiti and Pou holding the forward line together for most of the year means that our scoring definitely has been in the lower end of the scale.

Midfield - is where ours are going to have to play out of their skins to match it with your talent, and where it’s probably going to be won. Not been the best year for Steele off the back of some nasty injuries, although Crouch has certainly had his best year since he joined us. Marshall’s had an excellent year so hopefully can give our mids a lift.

Our secret weapon this year in Owens, has been a revelation, but with his inexperience is nowhere near yours, in Toby Greene. Would love him in our team.

Honestly did not expect to make finals this year, so to me this game is a bonus. Hope it’s a great game - crowd looks like it’s edging towards 70 000 and I can’t wait.

Obviously hoping for a win, but If we don’t, would lIke to see you guys go deep into the finals.
( Anyone besides Carlton and Collingwood 🤣)

Last edited:
Our Mids have hit their straps in the run home. Both teams playing heavily rebound football. Our forward pressure could be the difference.
If Daniels, Snooze and Brown are all in they'll need to go to WORK.
Let's hope Bedford can get off to tonight

The market seems to continue to shorten in our favour, and we will be going in as slight favourites. We are $1.77 to win (Saints are $2.10). If we play like we have been doing the last fortnight, I think we will win. Kingsley has our team motivated, and the week rest should hopefully have us ready to go

Greater Western Sydney​

STRENGTHS: The Giants enter finals as one of the form teams of the competition, conceding just 69.3 points a game since round 13 (No.1) and a score from just 35.2 per cent of opposition inside 50s in this time (No.1), which would be the best percentage ever recorded if it was across the full season. A strong pressure team all year, they have recorded an average pressure rating of 184 (No.3) and also rank third for pressure differential. When it comes to ball movement, the Giants go direct and like the corridor, kicking forward from 92.8 per cent of kicks (No.2) and playing on immediately from 30.3 per cent of marks (excluding forward 50 marks), which ranks No.3.

WEAKNESS: Centre bounce is the Giants' weakness, ranking bottom four for centre clearance and scores from centre bounce differentials.

St Kilda​

STRENGTHS: Ross Lyon's arrival has turned the Saints into the best defensive team this season, conceding just 71.6 points a game (No.1) and ranking top four for points conceded both from turnover and clearance. Conceding a goal from just 20 per cent of their opposition's inside 50s was inside the top 10 seasons on record. The Saints love the footy in their hands and recorded the most kicks and the third-most handballs of any side this season. Ball movement was also a strength, generating an inside 50 from 31.7 per cent of their defensive half chains (No.2).

WEAKNESS: St Kilda's weakness has been efficiency, recording just 77.2 points per game (No.15) and scoring from just 39.7 per cent of their inside 50s (No.18). Excluding the shortened matches in 2020, that was the eighth worst score per inside 50 percentage on record.

a minute ago

Fisher says he was "surprised" he was asked to undergo assessment at three-quarter time given he felt "okay to continue".

3 minutes ago

Fisher: It (contact) sort of caught me by surprise, it happened really quickly. I felt it on my front shoulder, so I wasn't really able to properly protect myself.

Adds he was "a bit shocked" when he got hit but could've protected himself better.

#FreeSnooze

a minute ago

Fisher says he was "surprised" he was asked to undergo assessment at three-quarter time given he felt "okay to continue".

3 minutes ago

Fisher: It (contact) sort of caught me by surprise, it happened really quickly. I felt it on my front shoulder, so I wasn't really able to properly protect myself.

Adds he was "a bit shocked" when he got hit but could've protected himself better.

#FreeSnooze
Where did u find this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hannon (AFL): The manner in which Bedford approached the ball was unreasonable in the circumstances. He could've elected to shepherd or block without bumping in the manner he did.

I knew it didn't matter what Zac Fisher thought.

Tom Morris reported today the feeling is it’s most unlikely Bedford beats the charge tonight as the oppo player had a concussion test.

He said best chance is downgrading force so it becomes a fine but didn’t seem confident.

Hopefully he’s wrong.

Tom Morris is often wrong so that’s good

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

a minute ago

3 minutes ago

#FreeSnooze

I like how fisher said “good luck Toby” at the end. But didn’t like how the Victorian tribunal wished fisher luck on the weekend. WTF

Been deliberating for about 45 min… if it was Tom McCartin they’d already be back in Sydney by now.

1a78b08258d0d2c1be8cf754ad04b714.jpg

Annoying

Remove this Banner Ad

Back