Unofficial Preview 2nd Elimination Final 2023 - St Kilda v GWS Giants, 3.20 pm 9 September, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Said there will be an email today with details. Purchase on Wednesday, members with priority access 10am-2pm before on sale to the public.

You'd think MCG won't fill up for Saints-GWS, so should be easily able to access tickets.

I'll be there with 3 out of 4 Giants members in our household (the 4th has the work, unfortunately).

Yeah I skipped the Blues game because of start time, 3.5 hr drive to Melb for me so this is a must.

That's an understatement. Our biggest crowd against the Saints in Melbourne was 21,160 at Docklands back in 2017.
there'll be a few more for a final ,but definitely wont be a sell out

Update on injuries for the finals:

GREATER Western Sydney star defender Sam Taylor will face a race against the clock to be fit in time for his side's elimination final against St Kilda.

The 2022 All-Australian strained his hamstring in the second quarter of the 126-point win over Essendon in round 23 but wasn't ruled out of Sunday’s must-win game against Carlton until 60 minutes before the first bounce. At that time, unbeknownst to almost everyone inside Marvel Stadium and everyone outside of the Giants' camp, Taylor was still in Sydney having not travelled with the team late on Saturday.

The West Australian has a low-grade hamstring strain and is understood to have not realised the severity of the injury until reporting soreness last Sunday that resulted in a scan at the start of the week. Taylor was hoping for the opportunity to play on Carlton superstar Charlie Curnow in the final round of the season, but was ruled out and didn't train with the main group at all last week.

GWS coach Adam Kingsley was able to rely on Harry Himmelberg, Connor Idun and Buckley to stop the Blues, but will be hoping to regain Taylor to face the Saints on September 9. It is likely to become a risk vs reward debate for the Giants given the tight turnaround, although the pre-finals bye clearly helps the reigning Kevin Sheedy Medallist's cause.

Finn Callaghan will also be pushing to be available for the game at the MCG, which could be played in front of up to 70,000 people. The 2021 No.3 pick missed the final month of the home and away season due to lingering Achilles soreness that is yet to subside. Callaghan was restricted to just five games in his first season in the AFL due to persistent foot issues that plagued his draft year, but after playing 18 games in 2023 is now dealing with an unrelated issue that is threatening to keep the young gun out of the finals.

Xavier O'Halloran played in a 14 v 14 scratch match against Sydney's reserves at Tramway Oval on Sunday after recovering from a broken thumb.
The 23-year-old has missed the past six games but is now available if needed in September after banking some much needed minutes. Forgotten ruckman Braydon Preuss also played in that game after recovering from a back issue.

there'll be a few more for a final ,but definitely wont be a sell out
def the best game for a neutral to attend - will be very entertaining as well

that orange tsunami =
The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

Given how well the team is playing I think the only 2 players that could force their way in would be Callaghan and Taylor forcing Angwin and McMullen out and Haynes prob just holds the subs vest over Angwin.

Otherwise unchanged. Saints should be very nervous. Massive win for us playing at the G cause they play Marve well.

Hmmm...

After what TFG said, I don't think Bedford has a chance of getting off.

A big F.U. from the AFL to the Giants.

Hopefully he gets off but it’s at this time of year where it is super handy to have fit players available. XO would be able to slot straight in.

Conspiracy - sure, but I don't think the AFL would have taken it too kindly when TFG put them on the spot re: Weitering fingers near the eyes.

The AFL will be spiteful and IMHO, the Giants will struggle to get Bedford off.

Hope I'm wrong, but with Weitering getting a $3000 fine (far less than if TFG did it to him), I think the AFL has made their intentions clear.

Last edited:
Here is Bedford footage. Hard to see any high contact if you slow it slow. Looks like a good physical shoulder to shoulder bump.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can’t have a player miss a final for that, the bloke was not injured and played on.

Missing a final is the equivalent of a 3 match suspension, its just over the top. We can never seem to have an incident free run during finals, always disruptions and generally with key players. Bad enough they put the game at the G, wtf??

Old mate should retire, clearly had too many head injuries himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back