Game Day 2023 Prelim Final - Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Friday 22 September, 7.50pm, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Refrained from posting last night as I was a little too emotional and didn’t want to make a fool of myself.

Taylor, Buckley and Idun are genuine heroes. Idun in particular showed the afl that he is a serious player who is in the upper echelons of the competition.

I hope Sam Taylor spends the off season properly rehabbing his hamstrings and working on his body, he hasn’t looked the same since the Essendon game and I think he rushed himself back.

Hopefully Kingsley sits Ash, Cumming and Whitfield down over the break and really drills into them lowering the eyes and patience, a few too many kicks in the second half that we’re blazed down the line to an outnumbered contest. But it’s hard to be critical of our running half backs given the pressure they were under.

Tom Green and Callaghan look like an absolute killer combination moving forward. Hopefully tom takes a few lessons from last night about composure under pressure. Finn Callaghan almost broke the game open a few times in the final minutes and hopefully in the tears to come he will make those plays more and more.

I think Ward might be coming to the end, and wouldn’t be surprised if he played off the bench next year He looked a little overmatched last night and had a very limited impact on the game.

Kelly and Cogs are absolute stars.

Briggs struggled last night against Cox and Cameron, I’m leaning towards chalking that up to his injury and I hope he puts in a lot of rehab work in over the summer.

C. Brown has the makings of a very good afl player if he spends some time really working on his fundementals. His game sense has improved significantly this year, but his set shot kicking and hand balling lets him down sometimes.

Daniels is a wizard and has moments that leave me in awe of his skill and vision. He kept us in the game at points yesterday and should be proud of his output.

Tfg was tfg, not much more to add.

Hogan is a monster and I’m happy that his been able to finally come good on his talent.

Riccardi showed flashes of what he could become but sometimes lets himself down with his positioning ahead of the ball.

Bedford really needs to work on his kicking , but I can’t question his effort and desire to play his role.

Keefe , I don’t know what to do with. Obviously, Kingsley tasks him with a specific role and is satisfied with the way he performs it. Had a few wtf moments yesterday, but in such a close game everything goes under the microscope.

All in all, the team played very well against an opponent that had all the advantages. In a game as close as this one it’s easy to point to specific instances or mistakes, be they umpiring or player errors. But I think it’s important to view the game in its context: if you lose by one point you’ve essentially lost on luck. One bounce of the ball, one gust of wind is all it takes for the result to go the other way.

Thanks all for a good season. I’ll try and post my stats analysis of the season in the next few days.

Also, did we have less supporters than the first 2 finals?
Why was that?
I tried to buy 4 tickets at 5pm on Monday, but they where sold out ( they where going to be sent to friends in Melbourne who support Essendon and Geelong as I couldnt go as my wife recently started a new job).
I paid my $8 for the grand final draw though.

Gut wrenching loss but it’s still a year where we overachieved and this squad has a lot of upside.

Would love to see Callaghan play less wing and become a genuine midfielder in 2024. He has the skills, speed and size to absolutely dominate.

The only other position that concerns me is that second ruck/forward spot. Keeffe has done an okay job but his limitations are obvious for all to see.

Also, did we have less supporters than the first 2 finals?
Why was that?

Couldn't tell you either way but our supporters did sound apparent through the TV so we must've had some decent numbers.

If anything, the Friday evening game makes it difficult for supporters to come down. The other two games were Saturday games, one of which I went to - The Saints v Giants game.

With such a short lead time, it makes it difficult to get time off for a Friday game. The cost of flights on Friday afternoon made it difficult to consider finishing work earlier to come down - had thought about finishing at midday but looking at the cost of flights put that idea to bed. Especially given I was saving up to go all out on flights/accommodation if we made the GF.

Gut wrenching loss but it’s still a year where we overachieved and this squad has a lot of upside.

Would love to see Callaghan play less wing and become a genuine midfielder in 2024. He has the skills, speed and size to absolutely dominate.

The only other position that concerns me is that second ruck/forward spot. Keeffe has done an okay job but his limitations are obvious for all to see.
Think he was forced to play more outside this year because the contested side of his game isn't quite there yet, hopefully, a full preseason and another year in the system do him some good and that's something he can add to his game.

My fundamental problem with the put the whistle away stuff is that Collingwood abused the situation to completely kill the last 10 minutes. The game ground to a complete standstill and it was almost not worth taking possession of the ball. Not particularly fair to change the rules of the game suddenly in the last 10 minutes tbh.

Well, well, well.

The Daicos tackle on Daniels is not serious enough to warrant a visit to the Tribunal, but serious enough for Daniels to be removed in the last few critical minutes of the PF.

If they can't get us through the umpiring, why not try direct removal of players when it matters?

100k audience in Sydney, up from 93k last week, very impressive!

Last weeks game had a 272%+ growth rate on previous year, would love to know what yesterday's growth rate was.

Saturday night’s high-stakes clash between Port Adelaide and GWS GIANTS scored an average of 1.01 million viewers. It was up 93% on the 2023 season to-date average Saturday night average, up 272% in Sydney, up 196% in Brisbane, up 90% in Adelaide, up 75% in Melbourne and 55% in Perth.

I was gutted with the loss. And yes I wanted a GWS vs Brisbane grand final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was gutted with the loss. And yes I wanted a GWS vs Brisbane grand final

I was torn, would have loved to experience the vibe in Sydney of a QLD v NSW AFL game though admittedly a Carlton v Giants made more sense given the similarity of our ladder runs. Carlton had a similar journey to the Giants...so I would have liked two see us two in the GF. Sigh. Hoping we both make it to the top next season. :D

Last edited:
I'm genuinely sorry for your narrow loss. So many of us Swans fans were riding with you, wishing you over the line. We all love an underdog, and you guys went further than anyone expected. Besides, most footy fans can't stand the Pies, their toothless inbred feral fans and the undeserved influence the club seems to hold over the AFL(VFL). We we're really hoping you'd stick one up at the AFL establishment and their sycophantic media partners. You came so close, but we know what it takes to overcome the huge advantage Melbourne teams enjoy in finals, in their home city at the MCG.

It's tough to lose a final by one lousy point. Over the last three seasons both of our teams have lost and won a final by one point. You did it to us in 2021. It gave us the incentive to do it to Collingwood in 2022. No doubt it pushed them to the next step and do it to you in 2023. Karma?

You deserve full credit for coming off a six day break, weeks of travel and coming within a lousy point of beating a well rested and powerful club at full strength, at their home ground in front of their huge home crowd. I won't go into the umpiring non-decisions, other than to say any umpire would've found that crowd intimidating and thought twice about awarding a free against the Pies in that last quarter. The AFL still consider the head to be sacrosanct, unless Pies players are the assailants, then it's a free-for-all.

Some outside of NSW may have doubted your credentials after you were bundled out of the GF in 2019, but certainly not after this final series. You've removed any doubt and put all AFL clubs, fans and media commentators on notice. You've won the footy world's respect, you won the hearts of many new footy fans and you've brought genuine pride to your Western Sydney heartland.

We couldn't be more proud of our "little brother". I just hope one day soon we'll see the Swans and Giants contesting for the ultimate prize on the last Saturday in September. It's about time we had an all NSW Grand Final.

Such a shame for you lot - I was really enjoying watching the GIANTS play and hoping we'd meet in the GF (can't stomach Collingwood, obviously). A colleague of mine is a mad GIANTS supporter based in Melbourne and it was fun to ride the waves with him.

Kingsley is a bloody ripper - I grew up with one of his sisters and I was absolutely terrified of him as a kid :sweatsmile: he's a tough bastard but obviously just what your team needs. Reckon he should be up there for Coach of the Year.

Looking forward to seeing y'all grow even grow even bigger next year!

Many mistakes cost us.
Keefe burning Greene
Green burning about 3 forwards.
Some sloppy kicking in the first.

Some terrible intercept kicks coming out of our defensive 50 in the 3rd.

Just wasn’t our night.

Is it 2024 yet?
Thats it in a nut shell Greene should have picked out the free forward instead of going for the miracle goal and Keefe burning Green was the same, although some of the missed free F*** me, Jordan Degoey got caught HTB play on? Toby Green head gets take off play on?

T
A few media types are noting this. Good on them for not brushing it away.
Leigh Matthews and Luke Hodge have made public statements about the poor umpiring.

The result is the result. But it shows the umpires need to pay what is there.
4th quarter incidents alone:

That makes me angry, you guys for F*** the holding the ball and high tackles were just awful some of the worst umpiring i have ever seen

Thats it in a nut shell Greene should have picked out the free forward instead of going for the miracle goal and Keefe burning Green was the same, although some of the missed free F*** me, Jordan Degoey got caught HTB play on? Toby Green head gets take off play on?
Tom Green burned the fwds, not Toby Greene.

Keefe burned Toby not Tom. 😉

Don’t get me wrong though Toby’s head being targeted and then him being tripped, Bedford was also getting hit high for zilch, pissed me off.

Such a shame for you lot - I was really enjoying watching the GIANTS play and hoping we'd meet in the GF (can't stomach Collingwood, obviously). A colleague of mine is a mad GIANTS supporter based in Melbourne and it was fun to ride the waves with him.

Kingsley is a bloody ripper - I grew up with one of his sisters and I was absolutely terrified of him as a kid :sweatsmile: he's a tough bastard but obviously just what your team needs. Reckon he should be up there for Coach of the Year.

Looking forward to seeing y'all grow even grow even bigger next year!
Similar story/ journey this season.

Hope you guys are along us - Would love a Carlton v Giants finals next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back