Preview 2023 Prelim Final - Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Friday 22 September, 7.50pm, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
What a night.

I sat there in amazement at the way we turned it on in that second quarter. Never seen anything like it.

Inaccuracy was the only negative.There were so much energy and forward entries it almost didn't matter.

As this is the City of Churches, I might find one and pray that Briggs will be OK for Friday.

Glad I re-booked my hotel room last week. Got the flights lined up last night.✈️

Really pumped. I reckon we can knock off Collingwood.

Go Giants.👍

Don't think we are going to have it our own way getting so many clean possessions out of the middle like we did against Port.

Really hope Briggs can get up for Friday with that shoulder.

Another thought -
XOH in as a starter instead of Brown?

Don't think we are going to have it our own way getting so many clean possessions out of the middle like we did against Port.

Another thought -
We just need to bring our best smother game

Another thought -
You would think so but Port’s midfield was the top midfield this season and the pies will be without Adam’s.

Well done guys.
I have been on the GWS wagon for a few months now and I absolutely love the way you play.
But enough is enough I think.
I am hoping that we smack you next week but if we dont, the house is getting decked out in orange.

Well done on a great season thus far, beat us this week and I think it is yours for the taking.

I think if we win this match, we will win the premiership.

Our worst loss this season was our 65 point annihilation to Collingwood at the MCG - but that was in round 9 when our team was still learning Kingsley’s new system. There was also only one other team that thrashed us this year, and we have already showed yesterday that we can learn from defeats in beating Port. Hopefully Kingsley and the coaching staff are planning on something similar for Collingwood this Friday.

The market has us as distinct underdogs at $2.45 (Collingwood are $1.56). However, our team is playing with such confidence and self belief that a win is very possible- even though it will be in front of a very parochial Collingwood crowd, who will inevitably influence umpires in their favour.

Amazing that we are in a position of just being one game away from a grand final!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kingsley confident of winning (not that you would expect otherwise!). And based on this Briggs will be available to play

Greater Western Sydney couldn't be better placed to challenge flag favourites Collingwood in a preliminary final, coach Adam Kingsley says.

Kingsley expects his entire playing list to be available for selection against the Pies on Friday night.

Good luck on Friday. I'm on the Orange Tsunami for the next 2 weeks (ignore Sig and avatar - I lost a bet on the Qualifying Final).
I'll be cheering on Jesse Hogan, Toby Bedford and Josh Fahey (if he plays).
Please smash Collingwood Friday night and shut their arrogant flog fans up.
images - 2023-09-17T145036.367.jpeg

Airline ticket price are predictably outragous. Might be cheaper to fly to Cancun and watch the game by the pool.

Throwing it it there - are there any GWS members out there who can’t make it to Melbourne on Friday vs Pies? Seeking 5 tickets. Keen to fly the GWS flag and pay a reasonable premium for tickets

Kingsley and the team won’t complain and will focus on the game, but most in the media recognise how unfair the scheduling of the match on Friday is. According to the article, it also said that we couldn’t fly back to Sydney after the game due to the airport curfew, and only flew back home today.

GWS fans are questioning the scheduling of the AFL semis and preliminary finals, which will result in the Giants only getting six days to prepare for a fully-fresh Collingwood side, while Carlton will have eight days before taking on Brisbane.

Kingsley and the team won’t complain and will focus on the game, but most in the media recognise how unfair the scheduling of the match on Friday is. According to the article, it also said that we couldn’t fly back to Sydney after the game due to the airport curfew, and only flew back home today.

GWS fans are questioning the scheduling of the AFL semis and preliminary finals, which will result in the Giants only getting six days to prepare for a fully-fresh Collingwood side, while Carlton will have eight days before taking on Brisbane.

Typical AFL cheatcoding for Victoria

Giant Strides asked me to put a bit more meat on the bones of this preview.

I thought we might have a look at last night's lineup, and compare it to the team that was thrashed by Collingwood earlier in the year:

[4] Jack Buckley [15] Sam Taylor [39] Connor Idun
HB [7] Lachie Ash [27] Harry Himmelberg, [6] Lachie Whitfield
C [13] Isaac Cumming [12] Tom Green [22] Josh Kelly
HF [14] Toby Bedford [26] Jake Riccardi [16] Brent Daniels
FF [38] Daniel Lloyd [23] Jesse Hogan [4] Toby Greene

FOL [32] Kieren Briggs [8] Callan Ward [3] Stephen Coniglio
IC [17] Finn Callaghan [25] Lachlan Keeffe [36] Harry Perryman [46] Callum M. Brown

SUB [33] Xavier O’Halloran

The big differences back in Round 9 were the absence of Taylor, TFG and Briggs. We were also without Cumming, Riccardi, and Keeffe. Haynes and Fleeton played fullback; Flynn was the ruck. Ward was the sub (!). Peatling started at half-forward, with Cadman and Angwin playing off the interchange.

It's pretty obvious the team dynamic has changed. Provided Briggs gets through training this week and there's no other unexpected injuries, yesterday was our finals lineup. We can't improve on it.

Which brings me to next week. Last night, walking back to the hotel, a young Port supporter came up to offer his congratulations and ask, wide-eyed, if I thought we could beat Collingwood.

I looked at him and said "Why couldn't we beat Collingwood?". He was incredulous. I told him and his friend to remember me come Friday.

It all gets down to the mantra that Kingsley has drummed into the team - "Why not us?"

In Adam we trust.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back