Unofficial Preview 2nd Elimination Final 2023 - St Kilda v GWS Giants, 3.20 pm 9 September, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

At the Giants open training day and Sam Taylor is doing laps around the field.

Last week was a battle of the game plans and the forward half turnover worked

This week I think will be similar. Saints are the number 1 def team but they don’t score well because they set up so defensively.

I think our midfield is better than theirs. We certainly have some weapons they don’t have. If we get the game on our terms we will be damaging… we are light years away from the novice team learning a game plan that we were when we played them earlier in the year.

If our midfield pressure is up, I can’t see them getting enough good supply to kick a winning score

What was the nature of the running? Was it just jogging laps? Were there any sprints or intervals where he had to speed up or slow down?

Just jogging, no sprints or intervals where he had to speed up or slow down as far as I saw.

Thanks mate much appreciated.

Any sighting of Callaghan?

No worries at all mate, happy to report. :)

Not from memory, let me double check pics I took today to see if I can see him out and about on the field.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club also shared vision of Sam Taylor today:

Click through and there's a video and picture of him.

Caption is making me 🤔

This.

No nonsense with smokescreens and the charades with no weekend of footy.

I'm excited.
Nah that's just some smokescreen nonsense. They are pretty playful.

Callaghan a maaaaybe but I heavily doubt Taylor even though it's a different hammy to the one he did earlier in the year

Nah that's just some smokescreen nonsense. They are pretty playful.

Callaghan a maaaaybe but I heavily doubt Taylor even though it's a different hammy to the one he did earlier in the year
The club might be playing mind games with St. Kilda, it happens all the time when key players are out.

But that "thumbs-up" photo of Callaghan is pretty full-on.

The club might be playing mind games with St. Kilda, it happens all the time when key players are out.

But that "thumbs-up" photo of Callaghan is pretty full-on.
Jeez he'd be handy but playing with fire with an achilles.
I'd love them both in of course.
If we are able to get over the Saints (big IF). I'd rather have Taylor for the next games 😉

Did Taylor tweak his hammy against the Bombers? If so that’s 20 days before they play the Saints isn’t it? If it’s a standard hammy he’ll be playing.

Did Taylor tweak his hammy against the Bombers? If so that’s 20 days before they play the Saints isn’t it? If it’s a standard hammy he’ll be playing.
Yeah it was the bombers game...
Standard hammy says 3-8 weeks recovery so you'd think in a pro system he'd be okay....but grading hamstring injuries is hard right. The risk would certainly be higher if we play him

Callum Wilkie expects his reward for claiming a maiden All-Australian blazer to be a match-up with the AFL representative team's captain. The St Kilda defender knows he has his work cut out against GWS match-winner Toby Greene in Saturday's elimination final at the MCG. "I don't know how to stop him. He's an absolute superstar of the competition," Wilkie told AAP.

"I saw his highlights when he was named captain and I just thought, 'Damn it, I'm going to have the job on him'. He's such a hard player to stop. He's good in the air and good on the ground, he reads the ball so well and he's so smart. It's going to be a tough job."

Wilkie, regarded internally as the Saints' 'Mr Reliable', doesn't mind that. "It keeps you on your toes, it keeps you engaged and it gets you into the game," he said. "I definitely don't walk into the game with a smile on my face because I'm pretty nervous with the task that's about to happen. It is quite daunting knowing that he can rip games apart off his own boot. It's going to be a big task, not just for me, but for the other backs as well."

That defensive unit - and the entire defensive system - has been the Saints' strong suit all season. Ross Lyon's men finished sixth on the ladder but ranked first in the competition for fewest points conceded, giving up an average of just 71.6 a game. That was despite playing 14 of 23 fixtures in scoring-friendly conditions under the roof at Marvel Stadium.

"That's been our most consistent area as a whole team, not just our back-line," Wilkie said. "We had a dull patch through the middle of the year but we weren't getting blown away; we were still defending pretty strongly then but we just couldn't score. I feel like we're always going to be in the game because of how strong we defend and that's going to hold us in good stead in the finals when the pressure goes up a notch."

Wilkie was one of two St Kilda defenders named in the league's team of the year, along with second-time All-Australian Jack Sinclair.

Looking through finals I’m feeling a gws vs collingwood grand final. One game at a time though. Butler and higgins are a threat this game. Maybe Ash and whitfield on them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back