Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final 2023 - St Kilda Saints v GWS Giants, 3.20 pm 9 September, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved this passage of play on the weekend

Thought each player's most important attributes stood out

Kelly's silky moves and clean disposals
Green's ability to stand up in a tackle
Perryman's workhorse efforts
Callaghan's speed and huge left boot

Gary Ayres Medal voting from our EF:

St Kilda v Greater Western Sydney​

10 Josh Kelly (GWS)
7 Tom Green (GWS)
4 Connor Idun (GWS)
3 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
3 Lachie Ash (GWS)
2 Rowan Marshall (STK)
1 Brent Daniels (GWS)

Basically, spread across 6 Giants' players, familiar names that our posters have nominated for votes.

Gary Ayres Medal voting from our EF:

St Kilda v Greater Western Sydney​

10 Josh Kelly (GWS)
7 Tom Green (GWS)
4 Connor Idun (GWS)
3 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
3 Lachie Ash (GWS)
2 Rowan Marshall (STK)
1 Brent Daniels (GWS)

Basically, spread across 6 Giants' players, familiar names that our posters have nominated for votes.

Idun starting to get the recognition he deserves

St Kilda (77) defeated by Greater Western Sydney (101)​

Cornes: “I think it speaks volumes about the Giants.

“They’ve won at 11 different venues this year which speaks to the resilience of the group, how well they are led by Toby Greene… they’ve won at Adelaide Oval, so that would hold no fears for them (this weekened against Port Adelaide).

“I think their preparation has been better than Port Adelaide’s considering they would have landed on Saturday night in Sydney, get the extra night.

“Port Adelaide looked tired, they looked weary, they looked banged up, they’ve got personnel issues. So they (GWS) would be feeling really confident about their progression through to a prelim.

“I’m not convinced on their key forwards. Are you going to trust Jake Riccardi in a final? Jesse Hogan’s been okay, but I think that would be a weakness of theirs.

“They got a lot of goals out of their midfield on the weekend… but their game is just in good order, they’re well-balanced inside and outside, speed across half-back, my only query would be on their key forwards.

“But with (Jack) Buckley and (Sam) Taylor behind the ball fit and firing, they’re a difficult proposition.”

Speed kills as GWS impress on the MCG

“I’m going to start with who I thought were one of the most impressive performers of the weekend and that was the GWS Giants. I just thought they've handled this travel idea, this hit-and-run mentality. It's the 11th venue they've won at this year, and they've embraced all of their challenges. Adam Kingsley was super impressed with his boys and so he should be."

“At Round 10 they were 3-7. That’s a long time ago now. The thing that struck me is they are quick, they are quick over the ground and speed kills. I think the Giants are a real show against Port because Port are banged up. The speed over the ground you’ve got (Lachie) Whitfield and (Lachie) Ash at the back and you've still (Connor) Idun got a there who's keeping who's keeping (Nick) Haynes out of the best 22."

“(Josh) Kelly through the midfield was huge. (Brent) Daniels and (Toby) Bedford as those high forwards that get all the way up and all the way back, they put speed on the ball, they defend really well, they put speed on the ball. Then you've got (Jesse) Hogan, (Jake) Riccardi, (Toby) Greene and (Callum) Brown, they've got a mix of forwards that are getting the benefit of this, this speed through the midfield and they don't just do it to attack, they do it to defend."

“They actually made the ball really hard to move, they control the midfield with their defence, and they compose themselves and conserve energy in their defence because it is so good that gives them that chance to springboard when they get the ball in their hands. That balance is good, and Adam Kingsley should be believing of his group because they're demonstrating it week in and week out.”

Idun starting to get the recognition he deserves
Absolutely. Well deserved as well.
Ash getting in the votes a lot late in the year also.
Good to see the next generation coming through and getting the love from the wider community

Absolutely. Well deserved as well.
Ash getting in the votes a lot late in the year also.
Good to see the next generation coming through and getting the love from the wider community
That’s why we are in such good shape. The senior players and pretty much all having career best years but now all the younger guys are going from just being role players to genuine A graders in their own right.

Think we are a genuine premiership chance not just making up the numbers. We don’t have any holes in the team and they have all bought into playing a role within the system

That’s why we are in such good shape. The senior players and pretty much all having career best years but now all the younger guys are going from just being role players to genuine A graders in their own right.

Think we are a genuine premiership chance not just making up the numbers. We don’t have any holes in the team and they have all bought into playing a role within the system
I think we still need a gun big forward …. But Jesse and jake give us a lot

I think we still need a gun big forward …. But Jesse and jake give us a lot

Very true but the system we are playing works cause they all have a role that they are playing really well. Because our talls are playing their roles so well I’m not being beaten and bringing the ball to ground it is creating a lot more opportunities for them. Opposition defences are so worried about the smalls that it creates space for the talls.

In a perfect world I reckon Darcy at the dogs would be the perfect fit in our forward line.

I understand what OC is saying, but we haven't even tried Derksen and Gruzewski, plus Cadman is just in his first season, so plenty of talent for us to try out. And if you look at the goalscorer stats for 2023, Green at #4, Jesse at =#13, and Riccardi at =#32 is actually pretty decent for any team to have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was a noted riccardi hater this season but I’ve done a total 180 on him.

he offers something different than a lot of talls, his speed off the step is genuinely frightening and it gets him a lot of space i50. I’ve been watching some of our games since the bye again and his work rate to bring the ball to ground has been very impressive and really stood out on review.

Re Cadman , I think he has a massive upside at the afl level. His cardio is elite for his size and his work at ground level is pretty eye popping.

Greene Cadman Bedford
Daniels Darcy Hogan

Brown/Xo/jones rotating through

Not going to happen. Very few genuine forward/rucks in the comp.

I thought Cadman should have kept his spot in the side. Big fan!
Cadman will be making his way into the squad next year for sure I reckon.
I agree Jones probably takes Lloyds spot.
Connor Stone is still around as well

I understand what OC is saying, but we haven't even tried Derksen and Gruzewski, plus Cadman is just in his first season, so plenty of talent for us to try out. And if you look at the goalscorer stats for 2023, Green at #4, Jesse at =#13, and Riccardi at =#32 is actually pretty decent for any team to have.
I’m not saying we need to draft one as I also have faith in the young guys on our list …. Just saying we don’t have one playing week in week out at the moment …. Something that will benefit us going forward is Cadmsn developing further and stepping up

Hmmm the last lost dog we took was
Broken, admired him from breaking the shackles of those mutts but it was at a cost.
Griffin was terrific for us in the first 2 years.
He was super important in us becoming a winning team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back