Preview 2nd Elimination Final 2023 - St Kilda Saints v GWS Giants, 3.20 pm 9 September, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope someone at GWS reads this. Great post.
Do we have anyone on here connected to the club? I’m not joking… from reports it sounds like the last hearing, we didn’t offer a strong case at all… it has to reflect all the detail that adds up to what we see and know… that it was a low impact, footballing act.

Interesting stuff on AFL 360. They interviewed Ross Lyon and asked him about our team. He was complimentary and agreed that the game will be won in the midfield

Interestingly he said if it is wet he feels that suits the saints midfield a little better

Kingsley spoke well but without the candid polish of Lyon. He did mention Taylor has done acceleration and deceleration and has run at 90%.

Looks to me like he plays

Lachie's value to the team is not on the stat sheet. He is probably coming off his best game for the year V Carlton.
I've watched him closely the last couple of weeks and tend to agree. I wasn't a big fan but he does a lot of acts that either help his teammates or negate the opposition. The fact that he keeps getting picked suggests the coaching staff have given him a specific role and they're happy with how he's performing it.

I’m happy for Lachie to play …. But I can see an upside in Preuss in that he brings more
I think I get your angle. For it the work it requires Preuss playing at his best, and in a position we've never seen him... and not giving away the half dozen insta-frees he does every game, often even by accident.

I also just think it would be an odd selection on the back of current form/system in terms of rewarding hard work etc. it seems to me off kilter with the team's ethos, and as noted, on the back of arguably his best game in the role.

I think I get your angle. For it the work it requires Preuss playing at his best, and in a position we've never seen him... and not giving away the half dozen insta-frees he does every game, often even by accident.

I also just think it would be an odd selection on the back of current form/system in terms of rewarding hard work etc. it seems to me off kilter with the team's ethos, and as noted, on the back of arguably his best game in the role.
I get your point too …. Preuss would be something other teams haven’t seen …. I like an extra point of difference

I hope we give far more “footy” detail and insight into our case… for example:
1. Watch the footage closely and you’ll see he clearly decelerates in his last step… which indicates a shepherd action.
2. He actually steps across him, rather than “through” him which speaks to the lesser force used.
3. He actually rotates and has his back towards him… which also speaks to the shepherding action and less force used.
4. There is no clear evidence to show that he even got him in the head.
4. If the AFL’s case is it “could” cause damage (which it was), then the counter is simply that there is not enough force through this footballing action to cause enough damage that would warrant a suspension.
And this is evident as his scans revealed no damage.

It’s really hard to see how we could lose this… they just need to argue with relevant details!
Most of this won’t be relevant.

Appeals tend to be on an error or law. I’d say we will be challenging the definition of impact
I've watched him closely the last couple of weeks and tend to agree. I wasn't a big fan but he does a lot of acts that either help his teammates or negate the opposition. The fact that he keeps getting picked suggests the coaching staff have given him a specific role and they're happy with how he's performing it.

Same reason Cadman got such a good run in the team. Bring the ball to ground and don’t get beaten. Richmond won a premiership with Jack doing the same thing. Bring the ball to ground so the smalls can get to work.

For years all we wanted was system over individuals and now we have a system people complain about players playing their role in the system. Can’t win.

Hard no on Preus. If Keefe went out it would be Cadman but that won’t be happening.

Who will replace Bedford? I prefer a like for like replacement to keep the structure, would peatling be a chance?

Seems that even the mainstream media and key commentators, are (slowly) seeing how unfair the Bedford situation is and how hypocritical the VFL is. Hopefully justice and sanity will prevail at the appeal hearing.

Geelong great Joel Selwood, one of the toughest tacklers in the game’s history, initially had just two words and a smile: “Free him!”

GWS coach Adam Kingsley says star defender Sam Taylor will play in Saturday’s Elimination Final against St Kilda if he gets through the club’s final training session on Thursday.

Taylor missed GWS’ last home and away game with a hamstring injury, but Kingsley says he’s ready to play the star stopper should he train well. The big question for Kingsley and the Giants is to decide whether they’re happy or not with the risk involved given he previously missed Round 7 to Round 13 with a hamstring injury earlier this season.

“He'll train tomorrow and if he gets through training and we're happy with the risk that will be attached to him playing, then he'll play,” Kinglsey said on SEN Sportsday. “I'm definitely a big part of the conversation around that (whether he’ll play). The doctor will feed me the facts around the injury, the healing and the risk attached. The player Sam will say he's great because he's already said it. Then I'll sort of weigh up everything and we'll discuss it as a match committee group, a group of coaches and make the call. The risk is that we bring him back and he's not quite right and he hurts it again and if we just so happen to win, then we won't have him again. But then, the flip side is again, you don't play him and we don't win the game and you're constantly thinking about, ‘What if we had played him? Would we have been able to win the game?’.”

While Kingsley understands giving players an extra week off is the typical conservative play with hamstrings, he says the club is happy to tick Taylor off if he shows he’s right to go. “Well, that's right, an extra week will help,” Kingsley said. “But if he's good to go then he'll play. That's pretty much the decision that we'll make. He's running at about 95 per cent based on his last training session, but he'll train fully tomorrow and I expect he'll be fine,” Kingsley said. “I did read about that Steven May hamstring injury in the Grand Final and I must say it got me a little bit thinking more towards, ‘Yeah, I'm prepared to take the risk’. But we'll assess that once training is finished.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints board all up and about today with the usual drivel about our supporter base etc.

Hoping we show them what we can do with our solid game plan and quality throughout the 22.

So long as we don’t go 2 players down at halftime like last time we played them I think we will be in the contest when it matters.

Saints board all up and about today with the usual drivel about our supporter base etc.

Hoping we show them what we can do with our solid game plan and quality throughout the 22.

So long as we don’t go 2 players down at halftime like last time we played them I think we will be in the contest when it matters.
Don't sweat the small things mate.
Our team looks pretty bloody good, they are probably just VERY nervous.

It's a bit hard to figure out what our team's going to look like when we have so much uncertainty over multiple players but I thought I'd give it a go. I'm assuming that we're going to name Taylor in the list today, give him until Saturday to get up or potentially be a late out. So...

FB: Buckley, Taylor, Idun
HB: Ash, Himmelberg, Whitfield
C: Kelly, Green, Angwin/Callaghan
HF: Bedford/XOH, Riccardi, Daniels
F: Lloyd, Hogan, Greene
R: Briggs, Ward, Coniglio
Int: Cumming, Keeffe, Perryman, Brown
Sub: Haynes

It's a great list, even if both Bedford and Callaghan miss we have very strong replacements for them. Taylor is the important one.

It's a bit hard to figure out what our team's going to look like when we have so much uncertainty over multiple players but I thought I'd give it a go. I'm assuming that we're going to name Taylor in the list today, give him until Saturday to get up or potentially be a late out. So...

FB: Buckley, Taylor, Idun
HB: Ash, Himmelberg, Whitfield
C: Kelly, Green, Angwin/Callaghan
HF: Bedford/XOH, Riccardi, Daniels
F: Lloyd, Hogan, Greene
R: Briggs, Ward, Coniglio
Int: Cumming, Keeffe, Perryman, Brown
Sub: Haynes

It's a great list, even if both Bedford and Callaghan miss we have very strong replacements for them. Taylor is the important one.
That’s the team right there. Callaghan and Bedford a both good but the incremental difference to XO or Angwin won’t be what wins or loses us the game

Is Callaghan a chance to be sub does anybody think? Or he either starts or misses the 23.
Hopefully a chance for next week. But if his Achilles isn't 100% , best to wait till next year.

Seems positive news in relation to Taylor and Callaghan playing

Taylor only needs to wake up pain free on Friday morning to take his place in the team after suffering his injury in round 23 and Kingsley knows how important the 2022 All-Australian is and will be.

Finn Callahan, who last played in round 21 and has been battling a calf issue, is also set to come in should he too wake up pain free having been put through his paces at training on Thursday.

[PLAYERCARD]Sam Taylor[/PLAYERCARD] with coach [PLAYERCARD]Adam Kingsley[/PLAYERCARD]. Picture: Phil Hillyard

Sam Taylor with coach Adam Kingsley. Picture: Phil Hillyard

But the absence of small forward Toby Bedford could have a big impact should he lose his appeal against a rough conduct suspension on Thursday night, with Xavier O‘Halloran his likely replacement.

“(Bedford) is unbelievably important for us,” Kingsley said.

“He‘s right at the top for forward-half pressure and tackles. That’s incredibly important to the way that we play.

“I‘d prefer for Toby to be playing and then we’d have both.”

Toby Bedford AFL Appeal Board tribunal currently taking place - live report link:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back