Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final 2023 - St Kilda Saints v GWS Giants, 3.20 pm 9 September, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Cumming has been a solid (and at times, excellent) player down back for us. But we're trying to squeeze 9 good players into a 7-man defensive rotation. Haynes and Cumming are the two squeezed out, and being used on a wing rotation to find a place.

I agree, barring injuries, it will be a tight call for places to get Cogs back in. I doubt we drop Lloyd having tweeted about getting him to 100 games. So, XOH and Cumming the weakest claims. Will likely come down to AK's game plan and role balance.

Cumming has been a solid (and at times, excellent) player down back for us. But we're trying to squeeze 9 good players into a 7-man defensive rotation. Haynes and Cumming are the two squeezed out, and being used on a wing rotation to find a place.

I agree, barring injuries, it will be a tight call for places to get Cogs back in. I doubt we drop Lloyd having tweeted about getting him to 100 games. So, XOH and Cumming the weakest claims. Will likely come down to AK's game plan and role balance.
It's harder for Cumming to get in the game when he's playing on the wing. We are used to seeing way more of him in that half back role. XO also rotating heavily to wing. I think both played okay but Cogs comes straight back in if his eye is okay....probably for XO who you'd imagine would go to Sub.

Well, I've got the flights and accomodation booked for next Saturday.

I met one of our inspiring SA supporters yesterday who encouraged me to come, so I've answered the call.

It's going to be huge. Can't wait!
Is it wrong of me to book the following week in Melbourne 😂

How good was it to see us really embrace and utilise the extra space in the MCG provides. Where the MCG has previously not suited us and the players got lost in all the space. Yesterday we were able to defend it but then open the ground up going forward.

Don’t think we should fear playing there anymore

How good was it to see us really embrace and utilise the extra space in the MCG provides. Where the MCG has previously not suited us and the players got lost in all the space. Yesterday we were able to defend it but then open the ground up going forward.

The irony is with many of the players we recruited we were always built for the MCG, but a combination of injuries and a bloke who perhaps was a bit askew with his game-plan led to repeated failures there.

We actually have a squad built for that ground and built for finals footy.

This year might be a year too early but if we keep the conductor and key personnel around and sound we will absolutely thrive there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lloyd could be sub.

Be great if we got St Kilda there each week

I read a comment (think it was on the main board, perhaps?) that Toby Greene played his worst game of the year in the EF. I thought "that's not true, he only got one goal, sure, but contributed a lot more". Then I read this article on The Roar (which can be hit and miss at times), and thought that it provided a really good explanation. Not only of how Toby contributed, but also how a couple of Ross Lyon's defensive decisions/tactics didn't work for St Kilda.

(It's a lengthy read, well-constructed - unlike a lot of mainstream publications - and I can't really cherry pick bits to include here: you have to read it all. But I think it's worth it.)

I read a comment (think it was on the main board, perhaps?) that Toby Greene played his worst game of the year in the EF. I thought "that's not true, he only got one goal, sure, but contributed a lot more". Then I read this article on The Roar (which can be hit and miss at times), and thought that it provided a really good explanation. Not only of how Toby contributed, but also how a couple of Ross Lyon's defensive decisions/tactics didn't work for St Kilda.

(It's a lengthy read, well-constructed - unlike a lot of mainstream publications - and I can't really cherry pick bits to include here: you have to read it all. But I think it's worth it.)
Good article. Thanks for posting this.
I suppose the tag line is - pick your poison.
Try to lock Toby and stifle your own defensive instinct, but let in opportunities for our other dangerous forwards.

I also felt that Toby was dangerous most of the game. 1 goal and 19 touches was an ok output.
The 9 score involvements shows that he was still a vital contributor.

Good article. Thanks for posting this.
I suppose the tag line is - pick your poison.
Try to lock Toby and stifle your own defensive instinct, but let in opportunities for our other dangerous forwards.

I also felt that Toby was dangerous most of the game. 1 goal and 19 touches was an ok output.
The 9 score involvements shows that he was still a vital contributor.
19 touches 1.2 … directly involved (not just a handball in a chain) in a number of goals … he was dynamic

It was on main board game thread. Usual suspects looking at raw numbers , rather than understanding the totality of team football.

19 touches 1.2 … directly involved (not just a handball in a chain) in a number of goals … he was dynamic
I can see where people are going with it.

Toby played his role and had some good moments. But it wasn't typical Toby being the man stuff.

I agree with all of the stuff that article said and he played a role, but most would be used to him playing a more visable contribution.

I can see where people are going with it.

Toby played his role and had some good moments. But it wasn't typical Toby being the man stuff.

I agree with all of the stuff that article said and he played a role, but most would be used to him playing a more visable contribution.
He was pretty visible and Wilkie had his lowest possessions and marks for the year …. So still played very well while taking their best defender totally out of play

He was pretty visible and Wilkie had his lowest possessions and marks for the year …. So still played very well while taking their best defender totally out of play
I get that and agree with that, but can see where the casual observers are coming from as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back