Aimee Whelan
paige-sheppard2-jpg.1426252

Paige Sheppard

Alice Mitchell*
montnna-beruldsen2-jpg.1426249

Montana Beruldsen*

Alana Woodward

Tiarne Cavanagh

* = ineligible for open-age signing as have never previously nominated for the draft. Will now have to be selected through the draft.

While the Swans didn't manage to land their star player despite repeated attempts, they have built a well-balanced squad. They have more than enough options to rotate through the middle (a hallmark of coach Scott Gowans' time at North Melbourne and Collingwood), while Smith and Tarrant can also line up in attack if required. The Swans aren't expected to be overly big players in the draft, having already fleshed out most of their squad.

Last edited:
So was it a mistake on our behalf where we were forced to take Mitchell and Beruldsen through the draft? Looks a shame that we missed out on Goldsworthy as we had to use our two remaining picks on Mitchell, who has a busted ACL and Beruldsen who has only played a handful of games.

So was it a mistake on our behalf where we were forced to take Mitchell and Beruldsen through the draft? Looks a shame that we missed out on Goldsworthy as we had to use our two remaining picks on Mitchell, who has a busted ACL and Beruldsen who has only played a handful of games.

If their signing was approved before the draft we would've had only the three picks in the end. This didn't cost us a shot at any players as we were only going to take 3 draft picks after the initial list build. Now we get to sign a replacement player who might not of got a chance otherwise.

As we get closer and closer to playing our first AFLW game, the list build continues to excite. I can't see this list being ready to contend for a flag in its first season but hopefully we'll be competitive and if we can hang on to the good players we'll contend in seasons to come.

I don't mind that we have missed out on marquee signings and if we can hang on to players like Ham, Hurley & Hamilton we'll be well placed for the future - they can be the marquee players.

I wonder what our prospects of luring Jess Doyle back are - or is she lost to us? Obviously not going to be playing with us this season.

I've decided to adopt Sarah Ford as my project player. I don't really know what this means except that I am going to follow her career a bit extra closely and cheer for her extra loudly. I like the cut of her jib.

When are they going to appoint captains and leadership roles? Is Brooke Lochland the one who has been rallying the girls in snippets from pre-season training? I reckon she's looking like a contender for a leadership role.

As we get closer and closer to playing our first AFLW game, the list build continues to excite. I can't see this list being ready to contend for a flag in its first season but hopefully we'll be competitive and if we can hang on to the good players we'll contend in seasons to come.

I don't mind that we have missed out on marquee signings and if we can hang on to players like Ham, Hurley & Hamilton we'll be well placed for the future - they can be the marquee players.

I wonder what our prospects of luring Jess Doyle back are - or is she lost to us? Obviously not going to be playing with us this season.

I've decided to adopt Sarah Ford as my project player. I don't really know what this means except that I am going to follow her career a bit extra closely and cheer for her extra loudly. I like the cut of her jib.

When are they going to appoint captains and leadership roles? Is Brooke Lochland the one who has been rallying the girls in snippets from pre-season training? I reckon she's looking like a contender for a leadership role.
Alas Jess Doyle has re-signed for another 2 years @ GWS

Alas Jess Doyle has re-signed for another 2 years @ GWS
Surely there would have been an offer from us but once a player is ingrained within a playing group and happy, hard to extract. Let's hope we can hold onto our guns in the same way.

Does anyone know what's the status of Charlie Rowbottom? Any chance of a family reunion with James?

Looking at our list, there appears to be a good number of players who are in their early 20s who I presume missed out on an AFLW spot at other clubs. Not knowing the women's game, I'm not sure how significant this is. Is there the depth of talent at the lower levels that these players will be able to compete in the AFLW? Or are we going to be struggling for the first few seasons? Certainly feel like we weren't given anywhere near the draft concessions GWS and Suns men's teams were given and both those clubs have certainly had their difficulties over the years.

Fingers crossed we've discovered a few diamonds in the rough to go with our 3 well credentialed draftees and smattering of AFLW recruits.

Surely there would have been an offer from us but once a player is ingrained within a playing group and happy, hard to extract. Let's hope we can hold onto our guns in the same way.

Does anyone know what's the status of Charlie Rowbottom? Any chance of a family reunion with James?
Charlie is studying at a Queensland University (I think BA).

Looking at our list, there appears to be a good number of players who are in their early 20s who I presume missed out on an AFLW spot at other clubs. Not knowing the women's game, I'm not sure how significant this is. Is there the depth of talent at the lower levels that these players will be able to compete in the AFLW? Or are we going to be struggling for the first few seasons? Certainly feel like we weren't given anywhere near the draft concessions GWS and Suns men's teams were given and both those clubs have certainly had their difficulties over the years.

Fingers crossed we've discovered a few diamonds in the rough to go with our 3 well credentialed draftees and smattering of AFLW recruits.

I think that with the AFLW being still relatively new and the whole women's game only being newly professional, much less is known about draft prospects and they haven't had the same levels of investment and training over a long time and so it is a lot less predictable how players are going to develop and perform. I think there are still great chances for players who have previously been delisted or overlooked to develop and have a resurgence in their careers. This effect may also be compounded by the pandemic and the fewer playing opportunities in 2020-2021.

Also, the whole competition is developing dramatically each year and hasn't reached the same levels of performance as the highly professional and well-paid AFLM which will make it easier to catch up to the front runners (compared to the GWS and GCS mens' teams).

Still I'm not expecting us to be world beaters from day 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My wife's maiden name is Ford (no relation) so I feel ya!
The other one I hope we can tempt "home" is Charlie Rowbottom, though she is attached to GC with her education.

Montana is flying up to Sydney each Friday for Friday and Saturday for training then back to Melbourne for school.
Remind you of someone? Dan Hannebery?
“I have a trainer at home that they are giving all my programs to, so I’ll do my training down in Melbourne,”
I have a really good support network around me, and my school (Overnewton Anglican Community College) has been great as well.

“They’ve helped me strike the right footy-school balance and obviously school comes first. Scott is so understanding of that.”
“There’s something very special about the Bloods culture and what they’ve been through,” Ham said.

“Being part of that first girls’ team and able to establish our trademark and our values as a club was very exciting, too, so there’s something very special about being part of that.”
She plans to study a bachelor of sport and exercise science at the University of Technology Sydney from next year.

Up until now, I've only watched bits and pieces of the AFLW and definitely not a whole game. I found it a little hard to get interested in it given what I thought was mainly due to the lower standard of the matches. But I've now realised that it wasn't the standard so much as the lack of a team to support. I'm really excited to jump onboard with the girls and follow their journey. Just like all things red and white, I'm all in!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back