Swans Membership Tally 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
26,976 fans have already signed up for next year according to Sydney Swans Twitter, up from 19,159 at around the same time last year.

Good to see we have ironed on members who stay on board

I don't think we should be measuring the tenacity of our membership base by people who post on online footy forums. Those types are already in the bag and likely to continue to be a member year after year. It's more the average joe I'd be looking at. Not sure how you can get a feel for that, but I think it would be more accurate.

I don't think we should be measuring the tenacity of our membership base by people who post on online footy forums. Those types are already in the bag and likely to continue to be a member year after year. It's more the average joe I'd be looking at. Not sure how you can get a feel for that, but I think it would be more accurate.

Could look at the members tally i was looking at

I'm not a member so posting on online forums just means

you post on online forums ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like we might be set for another record year. Will be interesting to see our crowd figures next year.
If we hadn't had all those wet weather games I think we could have given our average game record figure a fair shake this year.

Looks like we might be set for another record year. Will be interesting to see our crowd figures next year.
It is a bit of a misconception that greater membership means more numbers to matches.

For example, I went to every home game (bar the port match), and every Swans game in Sydney (including away games), like normal but I wasn't a member.

It cost me more than if I was a member, but circumstances meant I didn't buy a membership.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Up to 29,872 which is a pretty good effort considering Christmastime

I see the financial results came in. Somewhat predictable numbers I'd say.

Anyway, back on topic. Within the article it mentioned 13,000 new members, which is a massive effort. What interested me was when you drill into the numbers it's only 1,000 new Sydney based members. Personally I think that goes to show how tough a local market we're in. We've topped the table, reached a grand final, had finals appearances in 18 of the last 21 years and we still struggle to attract local fans.

The numbers aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination and the flip side of those Sydney numbers ie. 12,000 interstate or foreign members is a ridiculously good result.

I see the financial results came in. Somewhat predictable numbers I'd say.

Anyway, back on topic. Within the article it mentioned 13,000 new members, which is a massive effort. What interested me was when you drill into the numbers it's only 1,000 new Sydney based members. Personally I think that goes to show how tough a local market we're in. We've topped the table, reached a grand final, had finals appearances in 18 of the last 21 years and we still struggle to attract local fans.

The numbers aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination and the flip side of those Sydney numbers ie. 12,000 interstate or foreign members is a ridiculously good result.

Tbh

Membership != Fanbase

Memberships == Memberships

My guess is that we will see a consolidation of membership numbers in Sydney, rather than huge expansion, over the next couple of years.

Eg, people increasing their memberships from 3 games to 11 games.
13k new members in 2016 is pretty huge. A lot of existing members would have upgraded as well.

My guess is that we will see a consolidation of membership numbers in Sydney, rather than huge expansion, over the next couple of years.

Eg, people increasing their memberships from 3 games to 11 games.
I think the most important part is retaining those fans that have traditionally been seen to be a bit fickle in Sydney. IMO the important bit isn't always in increasing numbers, but rather ironing on the so-called "bandwagoners" so they become fully fledged passionate lifelong members. That often takes a period of solid success to rust them in to the bodywork so they don't leave as soon as it gets a little dark again.

That's what's kept clubs like Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn afloat during their trough years. They have a loyal core supporter base that will be there pretty much no matter what. That's the dream for me and I'm sure the club. A solid core group of generational members.

EDIT: FWIW every club has that core group to some extent - I just want us to increase that group to include those newer supporters' that we all class "bandwagoners". I know there's families who have been there from Sth Melb onwards and I'm hoping we're able to now build on their long loyal base with that next generation of Sydney supporters who's parents/grandparents (in some cases) started following Sydney (not Sth Melb) in the 80s/90s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back