Sports Swimmers underpaid????

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they are underpaid for the work they do, they train 6 days a week to try and win gold medals for this country. Only the top few swimmers get paid a liveable amount. Disgraceful treatment from their employers to not even involve their representative in the pay talks.

I think they are underpaid for the work they do, they train 6 days a week to try and win gold medals for this country. Only the top few swimmers get paid a liveable amount. Disgraceful treatment from their employers to not even involve their representative in the pay talks.

6 times a week. Try 3 times a day mate. But yeh I get your point,

I was actually joking about survival backstroke.....

But sersiouly most other sports relate to something in the real world with ancient origins

Javelin - hunting
Archery, martial arts, karate, sumo wrestling, shooting - warfare and fighting
Shot put - Throwing bricks and stuff when building temples etc.
High jump - Jumping over stuff
1200m/marathon - running for survival/from the enemy
100m - as above
hurdles - dodging obstacles

Then we have backstroke and butterfly????

I was actually joking about survival backstroke.....

But sersiouly most other sports relate to something in the real world with ancient origins

Javelin - hunting
Archery, martial arts, karate, sumo wrestling, shooting - warfare and fighting
Shot put - Throwing bricks and stuff when building temples etc.
High jump - Jumping over stuff
1200m/marathon - running for survival/from the enemy
100m - as above
hurdles - dodging obstacles

Then we have backstroke and butterfly????
Back in high school I did a project on swimming strokes, so I can slightly remember how they came about.
Butterfly was a variation of breaststroke, to improve the speed (due to the increased force of the arm movements and the dolphin kick). They started it some time in the early-ish 1900's, I can't remember when.
Backstroke started before Butterfly, but I don't remember when that was either.

It's all just about speed though. It's a competitive sport, so it's just about being as fast as you can be. It's like runners fine tuning their running gait, to be as fast as they can be.

Gary Hall Jr. Also the bloke who said the US relay team would smash Thorpe and Co like guitars. According to Wikipedia he once also went to the blocks in motorbike leathers. Also punched on with a shark after his sister was attacked by it while spear fishing.

Yeah that guy. What a star. Swimming needs more like him. In fact all Olympic sports do. Bunch of w***ers the lot of em.

If I see one more ad with some ******* knob doing his s**t sport in slow mo, with some s**t slow music, and him telling us how “since I courageously strived my way out of my mum’s nasty all those years ago, everything I’ve done has been about this magic moment where I win gold”... I’ll put my foot through the TV.

WE DON’T GIVE A *. That’s the problem with the Olympics, when it rolls around you can minimise it, but you just cannot escape it. FFS I get on a plane and the utensils are doing air safety demonstrations on the TV. * off.

This probably sounds bad (and I’m really not this type of person normally), but I hope Australia wins zero medals. Anything to shut these tools up.

Swimming as a sport is an absolute joke. Michael Phelps proved what a farce it all is with his 8 Gold Medals; there is zero chance that an Athlete could accomplish such feats, but that muppet did it effortlessly. Not to mention the fact that it's boring as hell and the chicks look like blokes. It should be removed from the Olympics, bring in Aussie Rules I reckon. Would attract far more interest.
The worst part about Phelp's 8 gold medals, is that he didn't get the one that counts the most, 100m freestyle.

It's competitive sport, not saving peoples lives. They are two different groups, so why should they be made one and the same?
It's like saying why don't we abolish the 400m run, since you don't run in a circle to save someones life?
Running/Sprinting is a test of strength, though. Not "I'm going to smack your head in" or "Look how much I can do on the bench" test of strength. But the strongest body wins those events.

The worst part about Phelp's 8 gold medals, is that he didn't get the one that counts the most, 100m freestyle.

Running/Sprinting is a test of strength, though. Not "I'm going to smack your head in" or "Look how much I can do on the bench" test of strength. But the strongest body wins those events.

Why does the 100m freestyle count the most?

It's the blue ribbon event of swimming, just like the 100m sprint.

Pretty sure it doesn't lower the wonder of Phelps record. It may not be comparable to other sports, the amount of medals won, but it shows he is basically the best swimmer ever which I think we should all respect, just like Bolt/Federer/Schumacher/Rossi? in recent years. Be thankful you saw him (if you did).

I still stand by what I said earlier in this thread, about how swimming is fast becoming too elitist and arrogant too follow, but at least Phelps never hit a teammate from behind or lied about being hit by a car to cover up his own stupidity, both truly s**t things to do.

He also didn't spit in the face of his wife and all the values and promises that come with marriage, by smashing up his apartment and scaring the s**t out of his wife and family.

The sport requires an insane amount of effort and dedication, most would've trained for hours a day since they were kids and only a minuscule amount get to actually make it to the highest level to make anything out of it financially.

Living in this bubble of training and competition no wonder the succesful swimmers get this tunnel vision arrogance thinking they are king d***.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An average professional swimmer makes much more than the average Australian wage.

Lol... the average swimmer makes f**k all and most of them have to support themselves through other work. People just look at the absolute elite who score the rare sponsorship deals and assume that's the norm. That's like using Garry Ablett's salary as the benchmark for amateur footy league match payments.

And they don't train as hard as AFL players, they train much harder. Up at 4am every morning and into the pool for a couple of hours (try motivating yourself to do that every morning in the middle of winter), then off to work/study before heading back to the pool for a few more hours in the evening. Rinse and repeat every day.

And not just a few months of preseason grind for them, they do it all year round save for tapering periods before big events. It takes an incredible amount of dedication and sacrifice and they deserve whatever slice of the pie they can get.

how much do they get paid?

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-bre...-swimmers-need-higher-pay/20120710-21scv.html

Speaking with Ross and John, Kowalski said our Swimmers were definitely underpaid, with the average top 20-ranked swimmer earning just $20,000 per year.

The national minimum weekly wage for Australia’s lowest-paid workers is $606.40 per week. A swimmer earning $20,000 per year would earn just $384.62 per week.

And that's just the top 20, there's literally hundreds, if not thousands, under them training just as hard for no financial reward just to try crack into that top bracket.

Maybe it's just me but I'd guess that the actual chance of the the OP having actually met an elite swimmer personally would be a lot less than him or her being a big fat couch potato.

Not only was it an elite swimmer, it was a few of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back