FTA-TV Talking Footy

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

this rant is everything that is wrong with AFL media now - 2 mins on boundary riders, instead of actually talking football. the general public doesn't give a flying **** about whos doing what in the footy media. talk about the game FFS

To be fair, it's a segment called The Blowtorch which is usually a bit of fun.
A bit like "say that again".

To be fair, it's a segment called The Blowtorch which is usually a bit of fun.
A bit like "say that again".
I don't watch the football to have fun sir..

It's a 90 minute show and they take 5 minutes out of it to specifically have a joke. What's the big deal?
none of them are funny?

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gil doing an interview on the propaganda network and show of the AFL right now. Quite sickening.

AFL partner throwing dorothy dixers at Gil. Tried to say that bottom six teams were relevant at season's end straight after defending his proposal to try new rules out with those teams towards the end of the regular season. Not challenged. Piss weak.

And by the way, tom Browne would have to be just about the biggest mung bean running around. Makes BT look intelligent and articulate.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
AFL partner throwing dorothy dixers at Gil. Tried to say that bottom six teams were relevant at season's end straight after defending his proposal to try new rules out with those teams towards the end of the regular season. Not challenged. Piss weak.

And by the way, tom Browne would have to be just about the biggest mung bean running around. Makes BT look intelligent and articulate.

I don't have an issue with Browne, but I agree that was an embarrassing interview with Gil. It just kept getting worse, Carey volunteering that he liked the 'World Cup' comments was probably where I switched over to something else.

TheDoor

Club Legend
Jul 22, 2002
37º 48' S 144º 56.5' E
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham

So true. What a bunch of sycophants. No follow ups to challenge any statement.
upload_2018-8-6_20-39-49.png

And that World Cup statement, such a false analogy. Fails on so many levels. 1) Countries spend years qualifying, or 2) why doesn't the AFL just run for two weeks??

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Carey volunteering that he liked the 'World Cup' comments was probably where I switched over to something else.
you should have stuck fat. Carey later offered insight to how GAJ is choosing when to put his body on the line. The guy us an idiot.

Gaj has done lots of body on the line stuff through his career.

His is now 32ish but king idiot doesn't think this is a factor.

I am going out on a limb here but maybe the coach has instructed the little guy to stay wide and let one of the younger attack dogs get the ball so geelong can use little boys skills to hit targets or open up play. At 32 that seems like good coaching. Carey is so stupid he is having a hissy that boy isn't playing same as boy played 10 years ago.

Was Carey busting packs or running into Ayers paddock in his last year?

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Havent watched this show since 9th September 2001.
Hows it going?
Still floggy by the sound of it.
Im normally too busy watching the numpties flog it up on On the Coiuch at that time.

Boogers

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I love BT, but his deliberate bias toward his former teammates gets a bit annoying. For example, over the years, he's always pumped up, and poo-pooed any negative comments about, Malthouse, Pert and Allan Richardson

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Really bothers me how this show and Ch 7 in general always introduce Carey as the 'best player in the history of the game'.
This really bothers me.
Firstly he isnt.
Secondly this is hotly contested.
Thirdly it is very disrespectful to other greats of the game.
The only thing Carey seems to have over other legends of the game is a good PR manager and a high media profile.

I seriously wonder if this 'intro' is written in to Carey's contract.

I know Ch 7 have a tendency to exaggerate their coverage by using words like 'superstar' and 'elite' every 5 seconds - but their deliberate lionisation of Carey is a bridge too far.

p.s
I am not saying Carey wasnt a very good player - but 'best ever' is a seriously long stretch.

Last edited:

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Really bothers how this show and Ch 7 in general always introduce Carey as the 'best player in the history of the game'.. Firstly he isn't. Secondly this is hotly contested. Thirdly it is very disrespectful over other greats of the game. The only thing Carey seems to have over other legends of the game is a good PR manager and a high media profile.
What bugs me is that ALL the players pre film/tv usually don't even get in the conversation, simply because there's very little or no video of them. For eg, Bob Pratt and John Coleman could've been 20% better than all of the modern greats, but we'll never know.

Bob Pratt kicked 150 goals in 21 games in 1934, which was part of his total of 681.

After kicking 57 goals in his first season, Peter Hudson kicked 541 goals over the following 4 seasons (84 games), then stuffed his knee in round one of 1972 (after kicking 8 goals). He then missed virtually 5 whole seasons (!!!!! He played 1 game in 1973 and 2 in 1974), then came back as fat as a house in 1977 (and with his knee still half-buggered) and kicked 110 goals that year, all for a career total of 727 in just 129 games.

Haydn Bunton won his first 2 Brownlows in his first two seasons when he was 20 and 21 (he turned 20 in July of his debut season). He was runner up in 1934, then won it again in 1935. He was due to debut a year earlier, but had to stand out of footy for a season after it was discovered Fitzroy paid him 222 quid to sign with them, which was against the rules at the time. So, what if he played when he was 19? He might've won 3 Brownlows on a row, all before turning 22. :D In 1938, he went to Perth to captain-coach Subiaco, where he won 3 Sandover Medals over 4 seasons.

Eh, it goes on and on. A lot of the older guys weren't in the Team of The Century for nothin'.

Last edited:

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Portuguese motorbike Grand Prix.

Klyntonius

Garry McCoy on the podium. :heart:
Also, Ant West racing on the Honda twin and Brendan Clarke, an Australian high schooler who looked to have a bright racing future before disappearing into the ether.

And the 250 podium consisted of Kato, Melandri and Harada. Daijiro won by 17 seconds. I miss him. :cry:

Back