Tall Defenders 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

That would make it right then???? The NMFC website says he is 94 kgs; does he really need to be 104kgs? Alex Rance seems to go okay at 96kgs.
I'm with you. Seems like he's probably deceptively strong. Has the height and still athletic.

Durdin should play all preseason games to push his case for round 1.

He has has shoulder issues so please be considering of this. North are not a dud club and have been patient with new talent. Talent is for 10 years not a band aid fix
North are not a dud club? I think a fare few of our first rounders would like to speak to you

North are not a dud club? I think a fare few of our first rounders would like to speak to you
Tarrant, Atley, Zeebs, Cunnington, Garner, Hansen ...

Despite how particularly Hansen has turned out whatever do you mean?

McKenzie has been the first confirmed failure since Riggio in 2005. Some real self serving bullshit.

Whoops. Trotter in 2003. Even moreso.

Seeing a training pic of durdin it was apparent to me that he's added some weight.

Given his shoulder op I think we would be cautious in billing him up too quickly.

When he plays games this year, if he is found wanting in he strength department, then at least he and the club will know where he stands

Tarrant, Atley, Zeebs, Cunnington, Garner, Hansen ...

Despite how particularly Hansen has turned out whatever do you mean?

McKenzie has been the first confirmed failure since Riggio in 2005. Some real self serving bullshit.

Whoops. Trotter in 2003. Even moreso.
The picks have turned into ok players.

Ately ziebell and Cunnington are solid b grade players.

We have 1 A grader on our list and that's goldstien and possibly tarrent if he can be consistent.

We haven't nailed a draft in a while now

Ranking of club defences.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-29/who-has-the-best-defence-we-rank-every-club

10. NORTH MELBOURNE
B: Sam Wright, Robbie Tarrant, Marley Williams
HB: Shaun Atley, Scott Thompson, Luke McDonald
C: Jamie Macmillan, Jack Ziebell, Sam Gibson
HF: Shaun Higgins, Ben Brown, Mason Wood
F: Majak Daw, Jarrad Waite, Lindsay Thomas
Foll: Todd Goldstein, Ben Cunnington, Andrew Swallow
I/C: Ryan Clarke, Ben Jacobs, Trent Dumont, Nathan Hrovat

Depth
Midfield:
Paul Ahern, Jed Anderson, Will Fordham, Tom Jeffries, Oscar Junker, Declan Mountford, Braydon Preuss
Forwards: Sam Durdin, Taylor Garner, Ben McKay, Jy Simpkin, Kayne Turner, Corey Wagner, Cameron Zurhaar
Defenders: Lachlan Hansen, Mitch Hibberd, Aaron Mullett, Daniel Nielson, Matthew Taylor, Ed Vickers-Willis

When the Kangaroos' 2016 season went pear-shaped, it wasn't the fault of their backline, which battled manfully against the odds. Every defence needs at least one star and the Roos have that in newly appointed vice-captain Robbie Tarrant, who last year won the club best and fairest and was unlucky not to be selected in the All Australian team. He and the wily Scott Thompson form a full-chested key defensive combination that will keep power forwards honest. Rugged ex-Magpie Marley Williams will be a steal at pick 108 if he can regain confidence, and would add to the run of Shaun Atley, Sam Wright and Luke McDonald. Intercepting big man Lachie Hansen and the pacy Aaron Mullett are handy reinforcements, while Ben Jacobs can also play as a lockdown backman when not assigned a midfield tagging role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any thoughts on Brad re-employing his Hamish and Goldy duel ruck style again now? ( was it brad or laidley that first tried it?) Goldy and maj basically take half the ground each? Goldy staying back half after centre bounces would probably off-set some of the lack of key defenders. Maj then rests and we replace him with someone like garner and open the forward line up? With so many teams going to be caught short by the new ruck rule and still having so aimed for a Leigh brown style forward pocket ruck, I think we could have a distinct advantage. BBB to Ruck forward contests when maj is off. Maj to follow resting ruckman back for the few minutes Goldy rests until/ if in 2018 durdin can do the backline while evw or Nelson take his man of that bench? I liked the idea of the split half ruckmen at the time. Injuries curtailed it then, but I think under the new rules it's worth a trial. Imagine Majak rucking in the fifty with Goldy reading the play from a kick away if we lose the contest. The midfielder and high backman instructions would be to cause a stoppage around Goldy after rushed opposition kicks from defense. We would usually win said stoppage. With wood and Higgins on the outside we constantly drive it back in to daw and BBB with our plethora of small forwards. This new ruck rule could be more of a benefit to us than any other team that I can think of. The rule was changed after lists were finalised and you can see by the players complaining which clubs will be most disadvantaged by it. Cue frantic back peddling on game plan and recruiting strategy for next year for said clubs. Hawthorn and west coast have not commented even though they will suffer the most. Whether we had wind of the change or not, we have always respected the value of Ruckmen. If the new rule sticks teams will be playing at least two ruckmen and more (probably 2.5). Like Hawthorn rushing behinds in flag year, wb bull crap with the ruck has rightly been ruled as a blight on the game. We are most likely to play three potential ruckmen when fit (BBB, Goldy, daw) and potentially have durdin or McKay also playing at times. Ruckmen have to be nominated. Will now be more important than ever with no blocking our disabling allowed. Flogs will have to win the ball from our taps! Go the Roos! Our way to a sneaky flag IMO

Note : rule will change after we have re-signed all of our Premiership big men to long term deals with pay rises. Would take that for a sneaky flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back