Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afl draft central on TT:

North Melbourne next-generation academy member Tarryn Thomas was strong in the midfield, winning the ball at the centre bounces and pushing forward.

Very nice to read that he played in the middle. I think it was Saintly that pegged him as a future midfielder. Good signs.

Big pic of TT getting flattened by a guy twice his size in the GF on the back page of the Examiner yesterday. Caption: Cheap shot. No idea how to upload it on the app

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Briefly:

Every draft pick is worth a certain number of points, which is a sliding scale based on (statistically a best-fit line through) historical salary data. You don't do anything to 'earn' them other than by having draft picks. It's there to make f/s and academy bidding fairer than simply using your next available pick. The discount is simply applied to every matched bid, so that you pay in points only 80% of the value of the pick where the bid was made. For example, if this system had been in when LMac was drafted,

WCE bid with pick 6, worth 1751 points.
We match, so a new pick 6 is created for us and WCE's pick becomes 7.
We have to come up with 80% of 1751, or 1400 points to pay for the new pick 6.
We have pick 8, worth 1551 points. We use that. Our pick 8 no longer exists. But 1551 is 101 more than 1400, so we're entitled to still use that. A new pick is created at pick 64 for us, which is the value of 101 points.

So in that particular case it wouldn't have made any practical difference other than a speculative consolation pick for our trouble. It's more meaningful in the case of a Heeney or Mills where the Swans had to sacrifice relatively more than their normal next pick.

But next year, if theoretically we have Thomas, Scott and Crocker all in the top 20 (unlikely, but whatever) we would have to come up with something in the order of 3,500 points to get them all. That's a lot, and you have to get the picks from somewhere to pay for all those points.

The first year this system was in, the academy club's realized they could game it by trading out of the first round and stockpiling later picks, which made for an unusual trade week and distorted the market a bit. So the league said hang on, we'll force you to only take in as many picks as you have open list spots. Which is a bit drastic imho but ok them's the rules. So the other way you can get points is to borrow them from the future. You can go into points deficit to match a bid, with the points being deducted from your pick in the following year's draft in the same round as this year's bid.

Of course, with a year to think about it, the academy and f/s clubs realized that the best value was in having at least one pick before the likely highest incoming bid, and si traded with that in mind.

You had me at hello!

Interesting. I asked him last night whether that was the case and he said he doesn't know yet.
It is what I heard from a North Launceston board member. They are expecting him to be in the VFL next year with North Melbourne . There will also be a couple of other North Launceston boys trying their luck in the VFL next year . Who with I don't know . I do know that North Melbourne want him in the VFL next year .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back