Expansion Tasmania Officially Granted 19th Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

Even I’ll join up as a foundation member for $10.
Here you go. 😀

In the literal sense, they got people to pay for effectively an EOI for a "real" membership/a spot on a mailing list, and the right to spend more money on the club this season buying merch. And they've made over $1m.

That's wild.
I agree. It's impressive. Just don't call them members or compare them to membership numbers of the existing clubs

Perhaps, but Queensland have 10 x the population. Factor in the number of people who leave Tasmania for the mainland in their prime work (and tax paying) ages for career development and opportunity which leaves the population left in Tasmania woefully inadequate to pay for a major infrastructure project that is frankly unnecessary. I don't doubt that the team will be popular. I just don't think they can afford it on the terms dictated by the AFL and I am suspicious of the hasty announcement by the AFL and the timing of the state election.
That's exactly the reason we can't afford to be even further left behind and not build this world class stadium.

No one is buying stickers, they are supporting the team.

I don't think anyone thought they would have 100k people willing to part with any money in 24 hours to support the team.
I don't think it's that crazy, but happy that you're pumped about it. Carn the Devils.

I don't care if it is "only" $10, to get 100,000 sign ups in 24 hours is amazing.
:100: The only people making the counter argument are people who either don't support the team or the stadium. I think they are trying to convince other people that 100k foundation members is bad, or not "good", but they must know themselves their arguments are really poor.

Fair play to the AFL. They know how to play politicians... couple of days out from an election and 100k 'members'

I think blind and deaf Freddy would know the foundation memberships don't equate to full memberships that will come with a fully formed, active team. Lol, jfc!

Its a show of passion and support that this is very much a wanted team. Fantastic result.

Andrew Dillon sent this song to Rebecca White just after the membership ticked over 100k

I wonder if they're trying to find out how many of the 100k are based in Tasmania to see whether they can justify a last minute flip.

It's very late when you consider people's move toward pre-polling, but that'd be a pretty major way to steal some final week media, would be White saying "100k is undeniable. Tasmanians have shown their support, so we will too."

I wonder if they're trying to find out how many of the 100k are based in Tasmania to see whether they can justify a last minute flip.

It's very late when you consider people's move for pre-polling, but that'd be a pretty major way to steal some final week media, would be White saying "100k is undeniable. Tasmanians have shown their support, so we will too."
I think it's too late, they won't do a public flip this close to the election imo. :cryv1: I wish they would.

wired-wired-wired.gif

I still don't know what your issue is in this thread. But at least we are half way to having an extraordinary number of foundation members :)
No issue, you're the one getting rather aggressive. You OK?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think its awesome so many have supported the new team so quickly, i hope they become somewhat of a powerhouse with so much history.
the jumper is complete trash though, just so generic and weak and "markety"
i would love to see those colours used in a modern take on a traditional jumper style. id like to see what using a larger shape of the state as a V would look like for example.

No issue, you're the one getting rather aggressive. You OK?
Yes thanks. When I do sarcasm it comes off as aggressive? But when you do it you're being chill? We just have differences of opinion and are disagreeing, it's not like it's the end of the world. No anger or dislike from my side at all, but thanks for checking in :)

Mighty Morphin Power Ranger Ok GIF by Power Rangers

i think its awesome so many have supported the new team so quickly, i hope they become somewhat of a powerhouse with so much history.
the jumper is complete trash though, just so generic and weak and "markety"
i would love to see those colours used in a modern take on a traditional jumper style. id like to see what using a larger shape of the state as a V would look like for example.
It's fair to say that it's been a long time coming. It's been a wonderful 24 hours for all involved.

The map guernsey won't be used full time, it will be used maybe once or twice a year. There's been a couple of excellent fan-made designs which I'd be happy with.

It's fair to say that it's been a long time coming. It's been a wonderful 24 hours for all involved.

The map guernsey won't be used full time, it will be used maybe once or twice a year. There's been a couple of excellent fan-made designs which I'd be happy with.
Who do you think that will be against?

Would it be a show of force to use it when playing against Hawks and Kangas?

Could be a good way to generate some instant rivalry in the heartland state?

I agree. It's impressive. Just don't call them members or compare them to membership numbers of the existing clubs
Have you seen the Richmond packages. Look at the non access memberships. Those numbers are counted towards your membership tally. Baby tiger, tiger toddler and pet membership. Then you're selling wheelchair football memberships with access to 1 game. Tassie soon to have the most members in the history of the game. My $10 towards that should count as much as a $50 pet membership or a baby

It's very late when you consider people's move toward pre-polling, but that'd be a pretty major way to steal some final week media, would be White saying "100k is undeniable. Tasmanians have shown their support, so we will too."

In other words, who are the ones likely to turn heel.

Who do you think that will be against?

Would it be a show of force to use it when playing against Hawks and Kangas?

Could be a good way to generate some instant rivalry in the heartland state?
That's a good question. Wearing it against Hawthorn in Launceston would be interesting.

I'm all for this new Tassie based team but i'm completely underwhelmed by the name and the jumper, surely they could have done better in that area.
The Devils might be a 'safe' name, but it's the right name IMO. As for the guernsey, it's not going to be a full time guernsey and will likely be tweaked a bit before 2028.

I'm all for this new Tassie based team but i'm completely underwhelmed by the name and the jumper, surely they could have done better in that area.

The jumper I can understand: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The name?

Seriously?

This is a league that features the following team names.

The Roos.
The Cats.
The Dogs.
The Magpies.
The Eagles.
The Crows.
The Power (???)
The Blues.
The Giants.
The Lions.
The Tigers.
The Suns.
The Swans.
The Saints.
The Hawks.

All sides that are common birds, domestic animals or big cats, aside from the Power - what that even means I don’t know, and the Giants and suns who share their name with Yank teams.

The only sides with any real uniqueness that aren’t just based on a generic animal are the Demons, Bombers and Dockers.

Devils will have the only mascot and name that actually has any geographical relationship to their team. It’s aggressive like the big cats without being a cliched animal team (yes I’m aware that there are ‘devils’ in other codes but they’re not an animal).

I think they’ve done a great job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back