Taylor Swift

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry MrsEddieBetts!

I will be definitely giving it ,ore plays in the future, as I see the potential for it to really grow on me.
I think some of the songs will creep up on you with more listens. Like seven has been played hard by me lately because I’m relating to it but I didn’t really listen to that one much on my first spins.

I hope you learn to love this album because to me it’s everything!

I apologise in advance as I think my initial thoughts on Folklore may not be well received. Still love you all!

Folklore (2020)

On to Taylir’s 8th album now, Folklore. I know very little of this, having only heard Cardigan and knowing that it’s a change in direction musically to So I’m really looking forward to listening to this for the first time.

1+1 is a very solid start that shows even without the banging pop songs Taylor’s songwriting is still absolutely top shelf, a very good opening to the album. Cardigan was the only song I was slightly familiar with heading into this. Not that I ever actively listened to it, it just came on the radio and tv a lot. Any the song itself is wonderful, such a nice song. If this is what’s to come on Folklore then I think I’m going to really enjoy it. What is The Last Great American Dynasty about? I’ve seen it mentioned a lot by people due to it’s brilliant song writing. I think I’ll have to agree, it’s a very well written song. Sadly I must confess the Exile didn’t really do anything for me at all, though I feel like it has the potential to really grow with repeated listens.

My Tears Ricochet was really quite splendid, and I think my favourite lyric had to be ‘If I’m dead to you why are you at the wake?”. Mirrorball and Seven both underwhelmed me a little. Though whilst they’re still both decent songs I think I built up this album to much in my mind. So I need to be careful here. August was quite please and a nice step up on the previous two songs for me and This Is Me Trying, Illicit Affairs and Invisible String were all quite good. Folklore still hasn’t really hit me as hard as 1989 or Lover but it has so far been quite a decent album.

The last few songs from Folklore seem to drag on just a little for me. Sadly I think this album was hindered by my unrealistic expectations. I’ve seen so much on hear and other places online really singing Folklores praises. So I think I went into this listen through with such high, high hopes and that’s probably why I’m a little underwhelmed in general. I do want to give this album a fir chance though. So I’ll definitely be revisiting it in a few months time.

Tracks I liked: 1+1, Cardigan, The Last Great American Dynasty, My Tears Ricochet, August
Here's a story about Dynasty that tells it best;

Also what is 1 + 1? The track is called the 1 (if you're referring to the opening track.

A very happy Taylor Swift: the Eras Tour (Taylor’s Version) on Disney+ Day to all who celebrate!
I’m about an hour in, she’s just a ******* all time performer. She sounds incredible, she’s got the crowd feeling whatever she likes, she even has some little tricks on the arrangements (love story had a filthy low register guitar that works so well in stadium).

It’s all just really incredibly well done and yet still incredibly personal.

I’m about an hour in, she’s just a ******* all time performer. She sounds incredible, she’s got the crowd feeling whatever she likes, she even has some little tricks on the arrangements (love story had a filthy low register guitar that works so well in stadium).

It’s all just really incredibly well done and yet still incredibly personal.
I can’t wait to watch

Nobody will beat Bruce in stage presence, but damn, she really knows how to work/own the stage. Her presence is top tier, absolutely unreal.

It is so great seeing how much fun both her and her dancers have.
perhaps she > bruce in terms of stage presence. I havent seen bruce though.

perhaps she > bruce in terms of stage presence. I havent seen bruce though.
She's great, fantastic and all, but Bruce is Bruce. Won't change my mind.

Biases aside though, I am not sure who would even come close of those who are still alive. Mick Jagger, not sure who else.

She's great, fantastic and all, but Bruce is Bruce. Won't change my mind.

Biases aside though, I am not sure who would even come close of those who are still alive. Mick Jagger, not sure who else.
what does taylor need to do be no 1 in the stage presence power rankings?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what does taylor need to do be no 1 in the stage presence power rankings?

Moonwalk
or

200w.gif

The choice of Our Song (as the sole representative from the first album and basically summarise the vibe of teenage country Taylor) and You're On Your Own Kid (still absolutely brilliant stripped down to piano, I like how it tells the story of Taylor in three different parts really well) as the secret songs for the Eras Tour movie was great. Struggle to think of what could be better selections.

9 down 1 to go!

Evermore (2020)

Two albums in the space of a calendar year, Taylor Swift fans must’ve been in heaven. Going into this I know that Evermore is going to be similar to Folklore and whilst I really liked the first half of Folklore I felt the second half didn’t connect as instantly. Let’s see how Evermore fairs.

Willow is a very strong and solid album, even if I vaguely remember hearing it at the time. Champaigne Problems was really lovely, I wasn’t quite expecting that, probably thought something a little more upbeat but it was just wonderful. Gold Rush continues the great start to Evermore and whilst this style of music isn’t normally my cup of tea I am certainly starting to warm to it a lot more. I found Tis The Damn Season to be quite interesting and was trying to figure out whether or not Taylor is referring to the Christmas season or not…

No Body, No Crime ft Haim is such a great song, my favourite of Evermore so far. The first 6 songs all really grew on me as they went on and I’m really getting into folk-pop Taylor. (If that’s the right way to describe it). Happiness was pleasant but failed to reach the heights of the earlier songs, Coney Island really hit me, that was quite good and also who is that guy on vocals? There vocals go so well together. Log Story Short was also quite good ad sounded to me like it could’ve been on Lover with a slight production change. After that the album seemed to drag on for me a little, it was all very decent but started to feel a touch repetitive. I’m not sure if this is the album or if it’s because I’m going through a fairly heavy block of listening to Taylor Swift albums. I guess I was bound to feel a bit of burn out. Like Folklore though I will come back to this once the dust settles to give it a second and even third spin. All in all though a nice enough album, I really liked the first portion of it.

Tracks I liked: Willow, Champagne Problems, Tis The Damn Season, No Body, No Crime, Coney Island, Long Story Short

9 down 1 to go!

Evermore (2020)

Two albums in the space of a calendar year, Taylor Swift fans must’ve been in heaven. Going into this I know that Evermore is going to be similar to Folklore and whilst I really liked the first half of Folklore I felt the second half didn’t connect as instantly. Let’s see how Evermore fairs.

Willow is a very strong and solid album, even if I vaguely remember hearing it at the time. Champaigne Problems was really lovely, I wasn’t quite expecting that, probably thought something a little more upbeat but it was just wonderful. Gold Rush continues the great start to Evermore and whilst this style of music isn’t normally my cup of tea I am certainly starting to warm to it a lot more. I found Tis The Damn Season to be quite interesting and was trying to figure out whether or not Taylor is referring to the Christmas season or not…

No Body, No Crime ft Haim is such a great song, my favourite of Evermore so far. The first 6 songs all really grew on me as they went on and I’m really getting into folk-pop Taylor. (If that’s the right way to describe it). Happiness was pleasant but failed to reach the heights of the earlier songs, Coney Island really hit me, that was quite good and also who is that guy on vocals? There vocals go so well together. Log Story Short was also quite good ad sounded to me like it could’ve been on Lover with a slight production change. After that the album seemed to drag on for me a little, it was all very decent but started to feel a touch repetitive. I’m not sure if this is the album or if it’s because I’m going through a fairly heavy block of listening to Taylor Swift albums. I guess I was bound to feel a bit of burn out. Like Folklore though I will come back to this once the dust settles to give it a second and even third spin. All in all though a nice enough album, I really liked the first portion of it.

Tracks I liked: Willow, Champagne Problems, Tis The Damn Season, No Body, No Crime, Coney Island, Long Story Short
I love Willow but the line “I come back stronger than a 90s trend” grates on me 😭

9 down 1 to go!

Evermore (2020)

Would be interested for your thoughts on cowboy like me and ivy - they are two of my favourites from the album (blasphemy over tolerate it and champagne problems, I know) - just think they are well written and tell a great story from imaginary protagonists with an unexpected and forbidden love respectively.

The guy on vocals in coney island is from The National - Matt Berninger. They played in Perth recently. Also co-written and produced by the Dessner brothers from that same band, so effectively a National song lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back