Mod. Notice Technological advances in weaponry

Remove this Banner Ad

The B-21 was unveiled yesterday - intended to replace both the B-1 Lancer and B-2 Spirit (and slightly smaller than both):

The current AN/APG-81 (AESA) fire control radar is the latest and most capable in the world, so it seems a bit odd it's already getting an upgrade. Perhaps it's some of the ECM and counter ECM capabilities that may come with the new radar. Going to be a while before it happens, also take some time for the new engines, plus block 4 upgrades. Just a about a new aircraft!

This article looks at the USMC using austere bases for the F35B in the IndoPacific. While it's not new tech, it is a new operational use.

I did also see an article about using 'thrusters' rather than aerodynamic surfaces for control, DARPA has been developing a test craft. .

aurora-crane-windtunnel-model.jpg

There hasn't been a lot of change in how aircraft use aerodynamic surfaces for control for over a hundred years, so perhaps now is the time. Modern elctroncic and computer control may make it easier to do than in the past.

DARPA is funding the development of an Ekranoplan prototype for the US military,

This video is an interesting look at the development of the Soviet Ekranoplans, presented by a man who can do a pretty good Krushchev impersonation (you see Mr Krushchev in the video, for comparison)

Page 472 of the current bill before the US Congress contains this

(b) MATTERS TO BE CONSIDERED.—In conducting the assessment required by subsection (a), the federally funded research and development center shall consider the following with respect to each of Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States:
(1) Potential resourcing and personnel shortfalls.
(2) Information sharing, including foreign disclosure policy and processes.
(3) Statutory, regulatory, and other policies and processes.
(4) Intellectual property, including patents.
(5) Export controls, including technology transfer and protection.
(6) Security protocols and practices, including personnel, operational, physical, facility, cybersecurity, counterintelligence, marking and classifying information, and handling and transmission of classified material.
(7) Industrial base implications specifically including options to expand the United States submarine and nuclear power industrial base to meet United States and Australia requirements.
(8) Alternatives that would significantly accelerate Australia’s national security, including—
(A) interim submarine options to include leasing or conveyance of legacy United States submarines for Australia’s use; or
(B) the conveyance of B-21 bombers.

(9) Any other matter the Secretary considers appropriate.

(c) RECOMMENDATIONS.—The federally funded research and development center selected to conduct the assessment under this section shall include, as part of such assessment, recommendations for improvements to resourcing, policy, and process challenges to implementing the AUKUS partnership.

(d) REPORT.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than January 1, 2024, the Secretary shall submit to the congressional defense committees, the Committee on Foreign Relations of the Senate, and the Committee on Foreign Affairs of the House of Representatives a report that includes an unaltered copy of such assessment, together with the views of the Secretary on the assessment and on the recommendations included in the assessment pursuant to subsection (c).
(2) FORM OF REPORT.—The report required by paragraph (1) shall be submitted in unclassified form but may contain a classified annex.

Full doc - https://www.congress.gov/117/bills/hr7776/BILLS-117hr7776enr.pdf

We really do seem to be getting the crown jewels of US military technology.

Page 472 of the current bill before the US Congress contains this

(b) MATTERS TO BE CONSIDERED.—In conducting the assessment required by subsection (a), the federally funded research and development center shall consider the following with respect to each of Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States:
(1) Potential resourcing and personnel shortfalls.
(2) Information sharing, including foreign disclosure policy and processes.
(3) Statutory, regulatory, and other policies and processes.
(4) Intellectual property, including patents.
(5) Export controls, including technology transfer and protection.
(6) Security protocols and practices, including personnel, operational, physical, facility, cybersecurity, counterintelligence, marking and classifying information, and handling and transmission of classified material.
(7) Industrial base implications specifically including options to expand the United States submarine and nuclear power industrial base to meet United States and Australia requirements.
(8) Alternatives that would significantly accelerate Australia’s national security, including—
(A) interim submarine options to include leasing or conveyance of legacy United States submarines for Australia’s use; or
(B) the conveyance of B-21 bombers.

(9) Any other matter the Secretary considers appropriate.

Full doc - https://www.congress.gov/117/bills/hr7776/BILLS-117hr7776enr.pdf

We really do seem to be getting the crown jewels of US military technology.
Nuclear powered subs are essential for any serious naval power in this day and age, but I doubt we'd ever need the B-21 bombers - way too expensive! We could certainly host them... speaking of which Google maps currently shows 15% of the B-2 fleet parked at RAAF Amberley:

1676367964116.png

Or maybe they're just wooden mock-ups to spook our potential adversaries! :p

Nuclear powered subs are essential for any serious naval power in this day and age, but I doubt we'd ever need the B-21 bombers - way too expensive! We could certainly host them... speaking of which Google maps currently shows 15% of the B-2 fleet parked at RAAF Amberley:

View attachment 1607244

Or maybe they're just wooden mock-ups to spook our potential adversaries! :p
Yes, the B21 will be very expensive at about a billion $ AUD each, I'm not sure we can afford enough to be useful without cutting too much else from the ADF. Cheaper to just offer the Yanks a parking spot.
'Wooden mock ups' may be vital in the age of precision guided munitions and cheap sensors, deceptions such as decoys are becoming more vital than ever.

The Oz has an article about the defence review which you can read here coutesy of archive.is

It suggests we may purchase 'corvettes', for which Navantia has offered the Alfa 3000. In fact, they have offered a megadeal, for $10 billion dollars they can build 6 Alfa 3000 'corvettes', 3 AWD similar to the Hobart class and will throw in a set of steak knives. They say they can start immediately. The price is for Spanish built ships, it increases by about 25% or so if built here and takes 3 years longer if built here.

Compared to $45 billion for the 9 Hunter class frigates this seems to be a very good price with a lot of bang for buck. Cut 2 of the Hunters and it pays for the Navantia ships. Within 5 years the RAN's major combatants would be 6 Hobarts AWD, 6 Alfa 3000 and 8 Anzacs. A much more substantial fleet and one that can be delivered quickly, which to me is vital. The Anzacs would be withdrawn as the Hunters come online later in the decade or the next. A pretty good plan.

I have put 'corvette' in inverted comma as the Alfa 3000 is over 100m long and has more firepower than an Anzac class frigate, to me it's really a iight frigate. It is derived from the Alpha 2200 class which Saudi Arabia have bought and named the Al Jubail-class which you can read the specs for here. The 2200 are a bit short legged for us, but I expect the 3000 would have much greater range, with most of the extra mass related to fuel and provisions.

bsp_54109-jdw-20840.jpg

Our very own Ghost Bat (MQ 28)pictured landing on an aircraft carrier.
Real, no, a simulated image from a Boeing briefing given to the Poms.

Another substantial Australian drone, Strix, this time by BAE Systems. It's a resonably sized multipurpose drone, able to carry 160kg of payload over 800km. It's a hybrid airframe that is VTOL capable. Article is at one of those first 3 vists are free.

This article has a few more images, it's a funny looking beasty.

I was intrigued and not quite sure what this meant.

'It can run fully autonomously, controlled by BAEs own Strix Vehicle Management System – which is already in use for other autonomous platforms, including the M113 autonomous armored vehicle, and the jet-powered MQ-28 Ghost Bat loyal wingman UAV. This can be run from a ground station, or the Strix can be controlled from on board a helicopter to expand its capabilities and protect an air crew in a high-threat environment.'

Ghost Bat is a Boeing aircraft, I was surprised to BAE had a role in it, though on re-reading it I think it means the Strix VMS is a route/mission planner, that is platform agnostic and nothing to do with the smarts the platform brings.

ADDED - I found this about a winner of the young innovators award in the defence industry, and surprise, surprise, it contains this:

'The Young Innovator Award was presented to BAE Systems Australia Melbourne engineer, Mr Callum Rohweder, for his work on developing the core guidance, navigation and control algorithms at the heart of the Australian-developed Vehicle Management System (VMS) for the Boeing MQ-28A Ghost Bat uncrewed aerial vehicle.'

I would guess this is the same VMS mentioned re the Strix.

Last edited:
Flat-pack carboard drones from Oz are performing in Ukraine.

Brilliant idea. The company, SysPaq already do work for the ADF

Added - I saw an article about them entertainingly titled 'Origami of Death' This article from Forbes contains more details.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting development. I wonder what the Rheinmetall facility in Germany is making instead.
Something to stiffen German spines, I hope. I think we have just started local production of the second lot of Boxers, the first batch were all 'Made in Germany'. Perhaps this is the only production line currently active, so if they want them quick it might be the only choice. Dumb luck for some.

Interesting development. I wonder what the Rheinmetall facility in Germany is making instead.
My guess is the Boxers are actually destined to be a gift from Germany to Ukraine and German production has been prioritised for the their own military in the current threat escalation.

An Australian missile manufacturer (yes, we have one), Black Sky tests a new missile prototype - I think this is a planned as a training/test/target missile. There is a reasonable market for these, one we used to be a player in.

Hypersonix DART AE has been selected by the US Defence Innovation Unit for testing.

I've posted about Hypersonix previously and it's good to see them getting work. The scramjet motor that powers the DART is capable of reaching mach 7. One of the main aims of the tech was to from part of a small satellite launch system

Mitusubishi industries and KHI are producing lasers for antidrone use in the 2 - 10kw power range. There is also a 100kw version in the works. They are all fibre optic lasers.

BAE have been producing the guided 155mm Excalibur munition for a while, now they have a new guided shell in the works with a range of about 110 kms, which is further than many missiles.

The Oz has an article about the Strix hybrid UAV. The first Strix prototype is currently being built and will have its maiden test flight in the final quarter of 2023, you can read about it here.

The article says this about range and payload

'It can carry an armament payload of 160kg for 800km or up to 200kg for 500km. Alternatively, reducing the payload to a minimum could extend the range to 1500km for intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) missions. It uses batteries to support VTOL operations and switches to jet fuel to power its horizontal flight.'

The Defence Strategic Review came out today. Most of the cuts had been leaked, so no real surprises that I've seen flicking through. There is a focus on the North of Australia, sovereign and rapidly delivered capabilities, all of which is good. You can try to read it in flip book form, luckily they provide a PDF download. Note - the RAN is undergoing a separate review of the surface fleet later this year.

Army
IFV cut from 450 to 129 so one battalion Mech brigade.
HIMARS.
Cancellation of the 2nd batch of Hanwha K9 SPG immediately.

RAAF
More focus on Ghost Bat, no info about more F35s or other platforms
Focus on integrating LRASM for both F35 and F18F.
More anti aircraft missiles/systems RAAF had had their all singing all dancing integrated.

RAN
Awaiting review of surface fleet.

More ADF robots. The RAN have been developing another UUV drone, the Speartooth by C2 industries. It's much smaller (8m) than the UUV Anduril are developing, Ghost Shark (30m). You can read about it here. This size UUV could be accommodated on many current warships, the larger Ghost Shark will need specialized vessel to handle them - which is what the RAN's latest purchase, the one that upset folks so much, is probably for.

It certainly looks suitably menacing. I think ADF is getting good with the names of it's robots.

00fa52dd77b106f75414abe753abb457d4658554.jpg

Last edited:
CEA who make digital beam forming phased array radars for our ships and other platforms, is in part being bought the CoA.

CEA use gallium nitride (GaN) chips in their radars which are superior to the more common gallium arsenide. They are probably one of our technological crown jewels along with the Jindalee over the horizon radar. There have been rumours that the beam forming radars can actually be used to cook electronics in drones (effectively a maser) but no one official talks about that.

More ADF robots. The RAN have been developing another UUV drone, the Speartooth by C2 industries. It's much smaller (8m) than the UUV Anduril are developing, Ghost Shark (30m). You can read about it here. This size UUV could be accommodated on many current warships, the larger Ghost Shark will need specialized vessel to handle them - which is what the RAN's latest purchase, the one that upset folks so much, is probably for.

It certainly looks suitably menacing. I think ADF is getting good with the names of it's robots.

00fa52dd77b106f75414abe753abb457d4658554.jpg
.... and this is finally the capacity replacement for the Oberon class subs who could sit silently on a sea floor and listen.

.... and this is finally the capacity replacement for the Oberon class subs who could sit silently on a sea floor and listen.
Yes, a lot of that ISR work by subs will be replaced by UUV's. Without folks on board they will be able to sit still for very long periods of time. Should free up manned subs for other missions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back