Thank you Bevo - end of an era

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah echo these thoughts. I could see Peter Gordon making the right call to end Bevo but cannot see our invisible President doing it she too busy trying to improve her status in the corporate world.

Yeah echo these thoughts. I could see Peter Gordon making the right call to end Bevo but cannot see our invisible President doing it she too busy trying to improve her status in the corporate world.
Why is it so important that we hear from KWW? In the corporate world the CEO does all the public talking. Just because Collingwood had Eddie Maguire, Hawks Jeff Kennet and indeed we have had Peter Gordon who are all outspoken does not mean that KWW needs to operate like that.

She was on the Danny / Boyd podcast recently and explained her approach, which makes perfect sense.

Why is it so important that we hear from KWW? In the corporate world the CEO does all the public talking. Just because Collingwood had Eddie Maguire, Hawks Jeff Kennet and indeed we have had Peter Gordon who are all outspoken does not mean that KWW needs to operate like that.

She was on the Danny / Boyd podcast recently and explained her approach, which makes perfect sense.
Agree 100%

To end Bevo's contract is a board decision not the CEO.

To end Bevo's contract is a board decision not the CEO.
Whether she is publicly outspoken or not has nothing to do with ending someone's contract.

Ameet Bains is the CEO and on the board. He would be the one driving towards an outcome like ending the coaches contract. No doubt KWW would need to agree to it along with the rest of the board.

Last edited:
Well said, OP.

Bloke will forever be a legend in my eyes, he took the reins at a club in turmoil and within 2 years delivered a flag.

Gave us back some self-belief, something we haven't had a very long time.

Hope he is given a good send off whenever that may be, on his terms. He's earned it.

Will likely be scapegoated for failures at management and list management level. The only way to move forward is cut them loose aswell.

Needed far more help than he got.

Disappointing end to the best coaching tenure in Bulldogs history. A real crying shame.

Off topic, apologies.
I don’t expect Bevo to respond to criticisms from supporters and the media but I wonder if there can be a mechanism were he can explain his thinking to the members. Maybe after the season in a Q and A forum where written questions are submitted by members.
With nothing (apparently) being done to curb Kelly’s influence I would love to know his thinking of why? It’s not just us members asking it’s media commentators too . I would love to know but it’s hard to think of a way he could respond without being made to look at fault.

Will likely be scapegoated for failures at management and list management level. The only way to move forward is cut them loose aswell.

Needed far more help than he got.

Disappointing end to the best coaching tenure in Bulldogs history. A real crying shame.

The list is not the problem. Or there is no basis as classing it as the problem as Beveridge has.

2021 finals series contained, Hannan, Rourke Smith, Cordy, Gardiner, Scott, Schache.

Not as if our team contained 22 superstars.

The coaching quality around Beveridge has completely dropped off. So has his own coaching standards. That’s the crux of the problem. Not the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off topic, apologies.
I don’t expect Bevo to respond to criticisms from supporters and the media but I wonder if there can be a mechanism were he can explain his thinking to the members. Maybe after the season in a Q and A forum where written questions are submitted by members.
With nothing (apparently) being done to curb Kelly’s influence I would love to know his thinking of why? It’s not just us members asking it’s media commentators too . I would love to know but it’s hard to think of a way he could respond without being made to look at fault.
He has clearly stated that he backs our midfield to respond and won't use taggers. I for one am not against this strategy by our midfield must be more accountable and contain opposition when they get a run on. It cannot be only a run and gun strategy and this is one area where Bevo needs to change.

The list is not the problem. Or there is no basis as classing it as the problem as Beveridge has.

2021 finals series contained, Hannan, Rourke Smith, Cordy, Gardiner, Scott, Schache.

The coaching quality around Beveridge has completely dropped off. So has his own coaching standards. That’s the crux of the problem. Not the list.
The coaching group is the far worse problem.

but

• As fully anticipated on this board Rory lobb is pretty underwhelming.
  • The constant wall of 2 year deals to key personnel is both a distraction to them and a distraction to the coaching group. 6 months into their new deal theyre back in the rumour mill to move again. Despite cap structure, free agency structure etc, I struggle to believe that we cant get some of these key future pieces to deal sizes of more than 2 years. Why does no other non gold coast club struggle with this? What message is a 2 year deal sending? Its not one of commitment.

Last edited:
My money is on Bevo surviving to coach us next season. If so, his role needs to be drastically revamped and seriously capable assistants appointed with an authorising environment that empowers them (a la Damian Hardwick at Richmond.)

I don't think that should happen, but I'm pretty confident that's what the club leadership will try to engineer.

My money is on Bevo surviving to coach us next season. If so, his role needs to be drastically revamped and seriously capable assistants appointed with an authorising environment that empowers them (a la Damian Hardwick at Richmond.)

I don't think that should happen, but I'm pretty confident that's what the club leadership will try to engineer.
Good bye memberships by the thousands in this case. The last 2 games have been cathartic to me because I could see an end to the bullshit we have put up with for the majority of the last 5 years. To continue on with a team that clearly has little regard for the coach would be hugely destructive to the organisation as a whole. We need hope. There is no hope with Bevo.

Although if they bring back the Robodog jumper I am willing to jump on board.

I thought that was the most likely outcome until the events of the past 24-48 hours. But if you watch his pre-match interview where he is concerned about what will happen, then the game itself turning out like it did, then the post-match address where he can barely look at the players and isn't sure what to say, then it seems obvious that he's in the last week or so of his coaching tenure with us. It's just a matter of how and when it's done.

I thought that was the most likely outcome until the events of the past 24-48 hours. But if you watch his pre-match interview where he is concerned about what will happen, then the game itself turning out like it did, then the post-match address where he can barely look at the players and isn't sure what to say, then it seems obvious that he's in the last week or so of his coaching tenure with us. It's just a matter of how and when it's done.
Whatever happens, it's a massive week for the club coming up. I don't have any inside info, and your take may well be correct hutchy.

Bevo always spoke about the processes they follow in close games, and over his tenure our record in close ones is very good (Oliver can you confirm?). This year is different and for me it reflects the lack of quality in our assistant coaches for which Bevo is responsible.
The coaching has gone down hill quickly since 2021. far too many examples of obvious mistakes to ignore it, the kick out last week was the latest one.

IMG_1080.jpeg
This cartoon was drawn and put in the newspaper in the preseason of 2017 when some of the team saved some poor swimmers down at Lorne. The metaphor is obviously as high as it gets. That’s the esteem we all had for him.

If he does get the boot (or walk, under pressure) it will be a statistical oddity.
  • He is our third best coach ever in terms of percentage won (minimum 20 games) 56.10%
  • Our best coach ever in terms of total games won (115)
  • Our most successful finals coach despite having only two seasons where he won finals.
  • Only our second premiership coach.
  • There are 30 coaches he has faced more than once and he is level with or ahead of 25 of them. (He has also faced 9 coaches only once and leads that lot 6-3.) The five he has < 50% wins are Clarkson (37.5%), Goodwin (36.36%), Hinkley (35.71%), Lyon (25%) and of course Chris Scott (16.67%)
  • There are only four clubs (Geelong, Port, Melbourne, Fremantle) where he has a less than 50% record.
  • There is only one season out of nine (2018) where he won less than 50%, although this could be another if he coaches us to a loss on Saturday night.
  • He would however be only the 11th most successful coach (by %) out of the current 18.
This is not to say it's wrong to part ways at this point. It's the right call if it happens.

Good bye memberships by the thousands in this case. The last 2 games have been cathartic to me because I could see an end to the bullshit we have put up with for the majority of the last 5 years. To continue on with a team that clearly has little regard for the coach would be hugely destructive to the organisation as a whole. We need hope. There is no hope with Bevo.

Although if they bring back the Robodog jumper I am willing to jump on board.
I liked your post until I read the Robodog comment.

I've been one of Bevo's biggest critics for a long time. But I will appreciate the the 2015 & 2016 seasons for the rest of my life.

I think he should go and Grant with him.

But I can't see either happening. We'll clean out a few of the assistant coaches, replace them with more unknowns in the hope of appeasing the fans and continue doing what we've been doing.

This isn't a plan. If by some miracle we managed to go deep into finals over the next 2 years. They'll take the credit for their planing and foresight. If it goes badly, he gets walked in 2025 at the earliest.

This certainly sounds more than feasible.

Wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back