That Bloody Ad!

Remove this Banner Ad

Laura Bingle's her name...

laura1jx.jpg

Easy to see how it was banned in the UK, the add its self just shows people what they want to see about Australia. It adds to what the already think of us, that we all ride our pet kangaroos etc to uni!

guess_who said:
Easy to see how it was banned in the UK, the add its self just shows people what they want to see about Australia. It adds to what the already think of us, that we all ride our pet kangaroos etc to uni!
exactly why reinforce the steryotype i'm more mad that the ad was made then that it was banned (not just UK i think)

Well it was a matter of time but thankfully a few days back the ban was lifted. But a very good thing for the marketing department, all the publicity generated from the censorship is priceless.

guess_who said:

Media studies hey :D ;)

Vandal said:
I thought the ad was pretty crap, makes a few generalisations that are far from the truth.

Such as?????

And how did the enjoy the previous Tourism Australia campaign - what's that ?? don't know what it was - no wonder, the Colours of Australia campaign was very poor.

This one is great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

janiek said:
exactly why reinforce the steryotype i'm more mad that the ad was made then that it was banned (not just UK i think)

And which stereotype is that?

We drink beer in pubs?
Country people have long driveways?
We have kangaroos on golf courses?
We have air taxi's on the great Barrier reef?
We have sea pools ?
We have an ancient culture?
Lots of fireworks on new years eve?
Deserted beaches?

I have seen them all in this country so not sure what you are on about.

peejay said:
And which stereotype is that?

We drink beer in pubs?
Country people have long driveways?
We have kangaroos on golf courses?
We have air taxi's on the great Barrier reef?
We have sea pools ?
We have an ancient culture?
Lots of fireworks on new years eve?
Deserted beaches?

I have seen them all in this country so not sure what you are on about.

Damn straight, some people need to get out more i think. If you head out of the city you will see a lot of places like this, apart from the fireworks and beer in pubs bit i guess.

RoosterLad said:
Damn straight, some people need to get out more i think. If you head out of the city you will see a lot of places like this, apart from the fireworks and beer in pubs bit i guess.
beer in pubs is certainly there, just the pubs are more spaced out. :D

Vandal said:
Well its generalising by only pointing a select few images out. 90% of normal Australians would have nothing in common with that ad.

Oh so 90% of "normal" australians don't drink beer or play golf or swim or live in the country or watch fireworks.

So what the bloody hell do they do?

90% of Aussies certainly don't shampoo their camels!!!

Ohh and Bill is on his way to open the gate, fantastic.

No, TBH I can see how the add would appeal to a foreigner. If you are saying that it is an accurate representation of everyday aussie life then I would have to disagree, are they showing the good parts no ********, what sort of come to Australia campaign would be showing Redfern station or Cronulla beach!!

There are strange standards in UK TV. You can show anything after 9PM, including plenty of fruity dramas with gratuitous swearing & nudity to pull in the viewers, but before this time everything is pretty tame. It's called the watershed; after 9PM all children are supposed to be tucked up in bed & not watching telly.

I remember being mildly shocked by the old Toyota "bugger" ad with the dog on the ute when I first moved here. You just don't hear swearing on UK ads.

There are huge amounts of tourists who head down to Torquay to see the roos on the golf course. I did it myself, then repaired to the clubhouse for beers. The golfers aren't too happy with snap happy photographers running over the greens but I'm sure the bar manager loves it.

rdhopkins2 said:
that chick is bloody hot!

Sure is. When I first saw the commercial I thought she was a 15 year old girl! But heard on the radio this morning about some case involving her being on the front of Zoo without consenting, and it made me look again, and it was wow!

Anyway on the ad itself, for it to be really Australia, it needed the good old aussie slang "Where the bloody hell are ya" or "Where the f*ck are ya." Although the second probably wouldnt go down to well with any country..:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back