The AFL In 10-Years Time

Remove this Banner Ad

The devil is just how to do it so that there's support. Elevate a local club or split one or start afresh?

Local clubs are the way to go I reckon. Another start up "franchise" would fail imo. Only good for starting out in the market (Eagles, Crows), but not thereafter.

Norwood in SA, still tons of old school support for the Red Legs. A ton of old Crows fans may feel conflicted at first, but will go with their heart. Keep a reserves side in the SANFL, following the Port model.

West Perth in WA, branded and based in Joondalup, would be great to play some lower drawing home games at Arena Joondalup with some upgrades and/or even at Subi (technically West of Perth) if it makes economical sense and the ground is still around... perhaps a merger/combo agreement with Perth/East Pert FCs that has been mooted before (Joondalup Royal Falcons)... with ressie players being allocated to a side accordingly, but all coming together when bumped up to the seniors. If East Perth got involved, West Coast would have to allign with another WAFL side.

WA expansion is more likely than SA though... but won't happen for another 10-15 years.

Last edited:
Yeah. It's just a pity that we have these fellow football mad states that only get a game or two a week.

People talking about reducing the number of teams in places like Melbourne are foolish imho. It's so hard to start something up, and in fifty to a hundred years we would kill for more teams in the massive growing cities not less.

What about splitting the Eagles into two teams that both kept their past history and flags? Create northern and southern Eagles and give all current members a membership of both for say 3 years after which they must choose. At a certain point start having a yearly pre season grudge march where the winner gets to be called the Eagles for the following year...

Last edited:
Yeah. It's just a pity that we have these fellow football mad states that only get a game or two a week.

People talking about reducing the number of teams in places like Melbourne are foolish imho. It's so hard to start something up, and in fifty to a hundred years we would kill for more teams in the massive growing cities not less.

What about splitting the Eagles into two teams that both kept their past history and flags? Create northern and southern Eagles and give all current members a membership of both for say 3 years after which they must choose. At a certain point start having a yearly pre season grudge march where the winner gets to be called the Eagles for the following year...
Why not split freo? No successful history to share so less mess.

South freo and east freo. It just works

After reading this post I found myself mentally singing "We're the Eagles, North West Eagles ... and were here to show you how..."

22 team competition
Final 10
West Coast and Fremantle each have 80,000 members due to the success of the new Perth Stadium.
Princes Park replace Etihad Stadium with a 70,000 seat stadium on site of existing stadium
TV rights to be shared between 7, 9 and Foxtel
A-League would've imploded with AFL continuing to be the number one football code in the country
Grand Final played on the last Saturday in September at 2.30pm AEST
Four new teams based in Perth, Darwin, Hobart and Ballarat
A national women's competition with the women's Grand Final played as a curtain-raiser on Grand Final Day at the MCG.

Why not split freo? No successful history to share so less mess.

South freo and east freo. It just works

That too, but later. I fear that it would feel like punishment for no flags, whereas the Eagles both have a proud history and aren't nominally a one town team.

And yeah I'd be happy to split the Hawks to help Tassie get started, although a Tas team is doubtless not viable at present and is a lower priority imho.

Not fantasy. Holgraphic images beamed to another stadium where another crowd watches the action in 3d on the field. complete with 3d replays

Possible but for now I think it would be more likely to have something pool table sized inside everyones homes that a person watch the game on, watching mini 3D real life looking images of the players.

Melbourne only has 2 stadiums. It does not need 9 teams for 2 stadiums. It is just as easy for a person to get to a home game of Collingwood as it is for them to get to a home game of North Melbourne (no matter where they live) so with that being the case why does North Melbourne need to exist. They are not exactly filling a gap in the market.

North Melbourne need to exist because if they didn't thousands of fans will be lost to the game. Plus having so many teams in Melbourne increases crowds because when they play each-other there are 2 sets of fans there ... not the few hundred visiting fans from interstate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possible but for now I think it would be more likely to have something pool table sized inside everyones homes that a person watch the game on, watching mini 3D real life looking images of the players.

As it will be expensive, much more likely to be in the public arena first.

Japan promised it if they got the rights to the 2022 soccer world cup. With hindsight it now seems much more feasible than qatars aircon stadiums promise

edit: mind you if the FTA HD is anything to go by, AFL will be one of the last sports to get the new technology broadcasts. Even now you see relatively minor sports enjoying HD coverage, yet AFL is one sport which could benefit more than most from HD

Last edited:
Nah let's go back to basics... AFL is a Victorian game. Yes WA and Sa like it too. Country NSW as well............ but let's not kid ourselves..... AFL has as much chance as NRL does of being popular Australia wide. I don't see a problem with that either. Air fares alone make sense...what an enormous drain they are.

I grew up in Brisbane where League is king....... sometimes the girls would go to watch a local AFL game ...why? for a perve of course. same with tennis........ But my heart was firmly with my team... The famous Valley diehards........... and then all this expansion crap came along and smaller local teams were being forced out.......my team got the boot and my heart broke. while I still enjoy watching nrl it will never be the same. I turned to AFL cos I liked the hawks...... Love of a footy team or code is an emotional thing..... when we lose that emotional bond... well it no longer means anything.. it is just watching a game.Let's always keep the tribe alive

Nah let's go back to basics... AFL is a Victorian game. Yes WA and Sa like it too. Country NSW as well............ but let's not kid ourselves..... AFL has as much chance as NRL does of being popular Australia wide. I don't see a problem with that either. Air fares alone make sense...what an enormous drain they are.

I grew up in Brisbane where League is king....... sometimes the girls would go to watch a local AFL game ...why? for a perve of course. same with tennis........ But my heart was firmly with my team... The famous Valley diehards........... and then all this expansion crap came along and smaller local teams were being forced out.......my team got the boot and my heart broke. while I still enjoy watching nrl it will never be the same. I turned to AFL cos I liked the hawks...... Love of a footy team or code is an emotional thing..... when we lose that emotional bond... well it no longer means anything.. it is just watching a game.Let's always keep the tribe alive
ah valleys, absolutely loved them in the BRL mad 70's brissy. i don't follow league at all anymore but they were the days, great suburban rivalries, loved going to nuemann oval and corbett park to watch marty scanlan, ross trelfo, hugh o'doherty, gerry fitzpatrick etc. premiers 70,71,73,74 and 79.
that's enough reminiscing, thanks MistyAvalon you brought back some great childhood memories.

AFL in 10 years time will have be full non contact with bibs and a no go zone like netball for players to keep rtheir space.

Bump is dead.
Tackle is dying looking at weakening it further.
The next thing will be marks making contact with head.

In 10 years time the competition will be the same in terms of teams.

It'll be 20 years before we see Tasmania and Canberra/WA3.

The NT is a very long way away

In 10 years time the competition will be the same in terms of teams.

It'll be 20 years before we see Tasmania and Canberra/WA3.

The NT is a very long way away
NT has a better economy and population trend than tassie though. Not to mention it can tap the talent from Northern wa and qld

NT has a better economy and population trend than tassie though. Not to mention it can tap the talent from Northern wa and qld

That is true

Darwin’s population increased by 2.2 per cent in 2013-14, giving it the second-fastest growth rate of all state capitals (along with Melbourne).

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/latestProducts/3218.0Media Release12013-14

The problem is that Darwin has a population of only 140,000. In comparison Canberra has a population of 422,000.

Sunshine Coast or Cairns might be options one day but both those options are a long way away at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back