The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha bit of an overreaction surely? Surely last season shows that you can go on a winning run and push on? The ladder is shifting so much week to week.

I still find it wild though looking at the ladder and knowing that we handed Richmond their only win.
Don't think so. If we don't win the next two weeks (which seems a better chance than not), we're likely to be 3 games back from 4th.

It's not insurmountable but we then put a lot of pressure on ourselves to be perfect, not too dissimilar to last season. I don't personally think you win a flag that way.

Don't think so. If we don't win the next two weeks (which seems a better chance than not), we're likely to be 3 games back from 4th.

It's not insurmountable but we then put a lot of pressure on ourselves to be perfect, not too dissimilar to last season. I don't personally think you win a flag that way.

I saw an interesting comment made about your spread of goal kickers, and how each week it's inevitably Curnow or McKay who tops it, whereas GWS or us for instance vary quite a lot week to week which helps us stay unpredictable. Wonder if the big key forwards is going the way of the elite ruckman in terms of 'nice to have but doesn't necessarily win you flags'. Going to be a really interesting match week after next between us. If Tom McCartin is still out (which I expect him to be) I reckon you probably get up.

I am worried about losing to both Melbourne and Sydney, but not so worried about the season that we couldn’t still make top 4. Our biggest weakness right now is the backline and that’s because no team can possibly lose multiple best 22 defenders such as Saad, Marchbank and McGovern and still have a stable backline. The other big weakness is as SM said, not having a spread of goal kickers outside of Curnow and McKay. I was watching Sydney on the weekend and my first thought was that I would love to have crumbers of that quality on a consistent basis.

I saw an interesting comment made about your spread of goal kickers, and how each week it's inevitably Curnow or McKay who tops it, whereas GWS or us for instance vary quite a lot week to week which helps us stay unpredictable. Wonder if the big key forwards is going the way of the elite ruckman in terms of 'nice to have but doesn't necessarily win you flags'. Going to be a really interesting match week after next between us. If Tom McCartin is still out (which I expect him to be) I reckon you probably get up.
We're beyond lucky to have both. As you say, too much is left to them.

I think our biggest issue is our small forwards must be close to the worst in the league. Fantasia is crap, Durdin doesn't hit the scoreboard and Owies is average at best.

If it had been in Melbourne I'd have given us a 50/50 chance, don't see us getting particularly close at the SCG.

not sure the key forward is going, top 12 goal kickers are probably who you would consider key or 2nd tall forwards before rankine comes in. midfield goals is where sydney are really good, where heeney and warner are in double figures and gulden isnt far off. carlton need more goals from midfield and their small forward, how fantasia gets a game is beyond me

not sure the key forward is going, top 12 goal kickers are probably who you would consider key or 2nd tall forwards before rankine comes in. midfield goals is where sydney are really good, where heeney and warner are in double figures and gulden isnt far off. carlton need more goals from midfield and their small forward, how fantasia gets a game is beyond me

Didn't mean to suggest it's going, more that it's not as valuable to team success as it might be perceived to be (like elite rucks).

You don't think you look a lot better with Grundy in the side?

We do but I wouldn't say he's an elite ruck anymore. We looked a lot better when Hickey first came in because he was playing so well, but I don't think you need to recruit an English/Gawn/Marshall etc. to win a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another 4million to the Cattery to replace the scoreboard.

Over $380m given to that ground now isn't it?

******* colossal waste of money. What was the increase to capacity? Under 10k wasn't it?
I'm so jealous of how spoilt they are, so many leg ups.

Guys, if you take out frequent umpire assistance, having the (ex) general manager of football being a well known and compromised Geelong figure, the biggest home ground advantage in world sport, large AFL funding, house & land packages provided to players outside of the salary cap, a monopoly on Geelong kids, representing an entire city independently, geographical benefits of city location, suspect drug use and known links to Dank and Charter being swept under the rug, high media representation including Dwayne, Whateley and Huddo and ridiculous luck with father/sons, they don’t really have that many leg ups. They’re just a really honest and hard working football club 😁

Guys, if you take out frequent umpire assistance, having the (ex) general manager of football being a well known and compromised Geelong figure, the biggest home ground advantage in world sport, large AFL funding, house & land packages provided to players outside of the salary cap, a monopoly on Geelong kids, representing an entire city independently, geographical benefits of city location, suspect drug use and known links to Dank and Charter being swept under the rug, high media representation including Dwayne, Whateley and Huddo and ridiculous luck with father/sons, they don’t really have that many leg ups. They’re just a really honest and hard working football club 😁

Blame the AFL for that 😉.

Blame the AFL for that 😉.
My proposal is that GMHBA stadium is your designated training ground and that you play all home games at Marvel.

MCG tenants:
Richmond
Collingwood
Carlton
Hawthorn
Melbourne

Marvel tenants:
Essendon
Bulldogs
Geelong
St Kilda
North Melbourne