The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

The media in Sydney is silent about Sydney in general.

We also don't have a Sydney produced version of The Sunday Footy Show, First Crack, 360, Classified, etc. etc. :tearsofjoy:

When I want AFL news/discussion there's not much choice other than Victorian shows. But it seemed like he was suggesting the footy media in Melbourne should only be expected to talk about Victorian sides, regardless of who's top of the ladder. Which feels a bit like saying the quiet bit loud..

It’s in your post.

You said the media has been silent on the team sitting top of the ladder (Sydney) with massive percentage. I was curious if the media in Sydney has also been silent.

I'm not really sure the relevance. I'm not talking about journos and newspaper articles mate, I'm talking about the AFL media, which predominantly takes the form of TV shows. I thought that was pretty obvious. As Loons said, you're lucky to get a couple of articles in the paper anyway up here in Sydney.

The media in Sydney is silent about Sydney in general.

Thank you. All I wanted to know.

I wasn’t sure if this was a Pro-Victorian media thing (the Cleary/McClure types) or a national media thing (which includes Sydney).

For example, let's play a game. I reckon that 360 tonight will be full of praise for a hugely impressive Essendon win against GWS. They'll barely mention the Swans, and as has already been qualified (on First Crack as one example) the Swans were playing a side impacted by the death of McCarthy. Of course, the Bombers similarly beat a side he played for, but something tells me the coverage of the two games may be a little bit different.

Thank you. All I wanted to know.

I wasn’t sure if this was a Pro-Victorian media thing (the Cleary/McClure types) or a national media thing (which includes Sydney).

The fact that the AFL media is even considered 'Victorian media' is the entire point I'm making.. On The Couch, 360, First Crack, The Sunday Footy Show, Talking Footy, Classified, etc. etc. should be considered 'national media' or else they're not doing their job properly. They're covering a national code, it shouldn't matter what state they're filmed in.

I'm not really sure the relevance. I'm not talking about journos and newspaper articles mate, I'm talking about the AFL media, which predominantly takes the form of TV shows. I thought that was pretty obvious.

The AFL media will unfortunately always favour talking about Victorian clubs. It’s a National AFL competition but the media still treat it as if it’s a VFL+ competition.

As Loons said, you're lucky to get a couple of articles in the paper anyway up here in Sydney.

As a Victorian, I really wasn’t sure how the Swans are talked about in Sydney. That’s all I was wondering.

The fact that the AFL media is even considered 'Victorian media' is the entire point I'm making.. On The Couch, 360, First Crack, The Sunday Footy Show, Talking Footy, Classified, etc. etc. should be considered 'national media' or else they're not doing their job properly. They're covering a national code, it shouldn't matter what state they're filmed in.

Yeah, that’s fair enough mate.

The AFL media will unfortunately always favour talking about Victorian clubs. It’s a National AFL competition but the media still treat it as if it’s a VFL+ competition.

As a Victorian, I really wasn’t sure how the Swans are talked about in Sydney. That’s all I was wondering.

They can favour talking about Victorian teams (even though I still think that's wrong) but my entire point which seemed apparent from the start was they're now doing so at the expense of talking about the side on top of the ladder. Not only that but a game clear. Not only that but with the best defensive record in the league. Not only that but with the best offensive record in the league. With 4 wins coming against the Top 8 (so you can't even handwave it as beating up on shit sides).

Most weeks I shrug it off because as you say, the AFL media is hopelessly biased, but this week of all weeks really rams it home.

Again, whether we're talked about on the back page of the Daily Telegraph or whatever other paper you're referring to has absolutely zero to do with a point about footy media.

Who cares what idiots in the media think or say lol.

As I said, usually I don't and it obviously doesn't impact the team, it's just weeks like this that highlight how bad it is.

For example, let's play a game. I reckon that 360 tonight will be full of praise for a hugely impressive Essendon win against GWS. They'll barely mention the Swans, and as has already been qualified (on First Crack as one example) the Swans were playing a side impacted by the death of McCarthy. Of course, the Bombers similarly beat a side he played for, but something tells me the coverage of the two games may be a little bit different.
It's mostly just a ratings thing, no?

There's far more Essendon fans that'll tune in than Sydney fans I would've thought.

They can favour talking about Victorian teams (even though I still think that's wrong) but my entire point which seemed apparent from the start was they're now doing so at the expense of talking about the side on top of the ladder. Not only that but a game clear. Not only that but with the best defensive record in the league. Not only that but with the best offensive record in the league. With 4 wins coming against the Top 8 (so you can't even handwave it as beating up on s**t sides).

Most weeks I shrug it off because as you say, the AFL media is hopelessly biased, but this week of all weeks really rams it home.

Again, whether we're talked about on the back page of the Daily Telegraph or whatever other paper you're referring to has absolutely zero to do with a point about footy media.
Disagree with this point. I've always found it disappointing how little the AFL has been covered here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's mostly just a ratings thing, no?

There's far more Essendon fans that'll tune in than Sydney fans I would've thought.

Of course it's mostly about ratings but surely people are tuning in to actually hear about the best performances? Seems dumb to deliberately not talk about the top of the ladder just because of their post code.

Giants also tend to get a fair bit more exposure which just makes it all the more confusing.

Disagree with this point. I've always found it disappointing how little the AFL has been covered here.

I don't think that point is what you think it is then. My point in this thread has nothing to do with Sydney media, I'm not saying Sydney media doesn't matter. They're two separate things. Emphasis on 'footy media'.

Of course it's mostly about ratings but surely people are tuning in to actually hear about the best performances? Seems dumb to deliberately not talk about the top of the ladder just because of their post code.

Giants also tend to get a fair bit more exposure which just makes it all the more confusing.
No, I don't think so. I think you'd find the vast majority tune in to hear about their teams specifically, not about whoever's playing well.

It's why Saints/Bulldogs fans etc also probably don't tune in a whole lot. They get very little exposure either.

I don't think that point is what you think it is then. My point in this thread has nothing to do with Sydney media, I'm not saying Sydney media doesn't matter. They're two separate things. Emphasis on 'footy media'.
Yes I understand your point but footy media clearly includes journalism. If you want to consume as much Swans content as you can, that's undoubtedly a relevant sector of footy media.

Your emphasis is actually footy TV, not footy media.

No, I don't think so. I think you'd find the vast majority tune in to hear about their teams specifically, not about whoever's playing well.

It's why Saints/Bulldogs fans etc also probably don't tune in a whole lot. They get very little exposure either.

What's that based on?

Kram's just been in to say we shouldn't care what they say about our team, now you're saying everyone does. :p

Yes I understand your point but footy media clearly includes journalism. If you want to consume as much Swans content as you can, that's undoubtedly a relevant sector of footy media.

Your emphasis is actually footy TV, not footy media.

Not sure I'd call journos working up in Sydney part of 'footy media' think there's maybe one, Lachy McKerdie or whatever his name is and he's not even traditionally footy. I thought it was pretty apparent I'd be meaning the radio/tv coverage which is how the vast majority of people consume media. Who reads the paper anymore?

Not sure I'd call journos working up in Sydney part of 'footy media' think there's maybe one, Lachy McKerdie or whatever his name is and he's not even traditionally footy. I thought it was pretty apparent I'd be meaning the radio/tv coverage which is how the vast majority of people consume media. Who reads the paper anymore?
Neil Cordy was the main one over the years.

It's not just the paper, it's articles online etc. That all forms a part of the 'footy media' overall.

It's probably just me, I just think the media in Sydney have been disappointing in their coverage over the years.

I don't believe anyone should care but people obviously do, it's why there's a whole channel dedicated to it.

Yeah, again though that doesn't mean they only care about their team and not sure there's too much proof to back it up. People will consume footy media because they love the game and love talking about it.

The problem is the entirety of the footy media is in Melbourne and almost all of them are Victorians. I get Triple M and SEN mainly focusing on the Victorian teams since they are strictly Victorian programming but the stuff on Fox Footy should have more variety.

It isn't just a Sydney problem. We have little media to consume in WA about the WA teams either.

Neil Cordy was the main one over the years.

It's not just the paper, it's articles online etc. That all forms a part of the 'footy media' overall.

It's probably just me, I just think the media in Sydney have been disappointing in their coverage over the years.

It's not just you, I completely agree which is why I didn't think the point you were disagreeing with was saying what you thought it was. I was saying that the print media in Sydney isn't the point I'm making on this occasion, which is about the national footy media not caring about the team top of the ladder by some distance.

The problem is the entirety of the footy media is in Melbourne and almost all of them are Victorians. I get Triple M and SEN mainly focusing on the Victorian teams since they are strictly Victorian programming but the stuff on Fox Footy should have more variety.

It isn't just a Sydney problem. We have little media to consume in WA about the WA teams either.

Yep absolutely this is all I'm saying.

Even 360 with their broader cast of players have used the same teams a few years in a row rather than rotating. There's probably some great footy personalities amongst the playing group who have been deprived a career talking footy by virtue of the team they play for.

As I said before I generally don't care too much how much they talk about the Swans, it's just highlighted on a week like this how bad it really is.

Also just on the Swans specifically, we still have a massive Melbourne based supporter base so I'm not even sure I buy the 'talk about the teams Victorians care about' argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back