Solved The Backpacker Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah in the film he shoots it, off camera.

There should be a special place in hell for the following ppl: terrorists, pedos and animal torturers

Read a very interesting (yet disgusting) article on beastiality and it is more common than youd think. Vets see.. lets just say internal injuries, and dogs just traumatized and.. ugh its just next level.

They should be in jail for years for a crime like that. Not months. Not Community orders all that rubbish most (other) animal abusers get.

The FBI in recent years began documenting animal abuse and counting it alongside serious crimes in their database. We might need to catch up a bit here in Australia.

Animal abuse is often the first sign of a developing big problem. No sympathy for these kinds of people at all, they need to be pulled up and early.

Read a very interesting (yet disgusting) article on beastiality and it is more common than youd think. Vets see.. lets just say internal injuries, and dogs just traumatized and.. ugh its just next level.

Kiddy pr0n and beastiality is often found together on USB sticks and in devices when the cops get involved. Animals are like children in their vulnerability and powerlessness so I guess it probably shouldn't be so surprising.

Kiddy pr0n and beastiality is often found together on USB sticks and in devices when the cops get involved. Animals are like children in their vulnerability and powerlessness so I guess it probably shouldn't be so surprising.

Animals dont talk. They'd be a super easy target.

A new doco on Ch7 this sunday claiming there's other victims.
We will see what they turn up.
the promo stuff for the doco, infers they can scan an area for graves.

Its often been said people disappeared from places Ivan worked with Highways Dept road building gangs.

Even the head cop, Clive Small thought a few could be added to his victims.

The doco suggests 1971 in Canberra was Ivan 1st victim... 20yo woman.

Will be interesting to see it pan out

Ivan Milat ... Buried Secrets

1991 ... A possible victim near Canberra. (Right around the time of the Belangelo murders)

Road workers were at the pub a woman last seen at in Balangedore . Surely the doco makers could check employment records to see if he was there, rather than just go 'he might have been there and thus could be the murderer'.

Very sketchy so far. No real new info IMO

After watching it...
The only one likely a Milat victim was 1987 Peter Letcher a hitchhiker killed near Lithgow (body found in Jenolan caves area). Very similar MO, gunshots that Clive Small said was probably Milat but was not enough evidence in 1986 to try him for it.

One interesting new piece....
They did unearth a pom who in 1982 likely escaped from Milat on the Jenolan Caves road after he picked up the man hitchhiking.

Last edited:

The scan by drone started in Belangalo with 5 minutes to go ... So it's a teaser for next week!!!!

some of the worlds best known serial killers were born post WW2

John Wayne Gacy
march 17, 1942

Ivan Robert Marko Milat
27 December 1944

Christopher Wilder
13 March 1945

Joseph James DeAngelo Jr.
November 8, 1945

Dennis Lynn Rader
March 9, 1945

Bevan Spencer von Einem
29 May 1946

Peter William Sutcliffe
2 June 1946

Theodore Robert Cowell
Ted Bundy
November 24, 1946

Derek Ernest Percy
15 September 1948

Edmund Emil Kemper III
December 18, 1948

Richard David Falco
Son of Sam
June 1, 1953

edit: I forgot to include Christopher Wilder

Last edited:
the show also uses a Geographic Profiler from Canada
I missed the show last night Ill have to catch up later

Geographic profiling is a criminal investigative methodology that analyzes the locations of a connected series of crimes to determine the most probable area of offender residence.

The FBI in recent years began documenting animal abuse and counting it alongside serious crimes in their database. We might need to catch up a bit here in Australia.

Animal abuse is often the first sign of a developing big problem. No sympathy for these kinds of people at all, they need to be pulled up and early.
In the FBI profiling book 'Mindhunter' by John Douglas there are 3 similarities with serial killers, they were bed wetters, they liked to torture animals and they have a fascination with fire.

In the FBI profiling book 'Mindhunter' by John Douglas there are 3 similarities with serial killers, they were bed wetters, they liked to torture animals and they have a fascination with fire.

Not dismissing this but I wonder if it's the reaction to the bed wetting etc by the dominant parent rather than any inherent sk behavior

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iam not convinced about their three new victims.
Milat wasnt the first or last to take victims to a pine forest or bushland.

The three new victims as higlighted by DR Tim and Dr Xanthe, in their flash Mustang
Possibly the youngest... could be!
The male is obviously a drug related killing, but not by milat
The second lady would be missed by her family and dosent fit Milats MO. To me, she seems to be a victim of domestic violence.

out of the other twenty or so. the two girls may have been victim of christopher wilder

Not dismissing this but I wonder if it's the reaction to the bed wetting etc by the dominant parent rather than any inherent sk behavior
Milat got belted regularly by his Dad from a very early age.

could possibly be, was just reading through this in regards to Martin Bryant - and jeez, his torture of animals, obsession with fire - he even set fire to himself! Not seeing anything regarding his bed peeing habits yet. https://www.news.com.au/national/crime/life-of-bryant-killers-bizarre-existence-before-he-murdered-35-in-port-arthur-massacre/news-story/7d0f846e758877f801d23ff34064a9bc#itm=newscomau|news|right-now-in-|0|Martin Bryant: Mass murderer’s bizarre life before he killed...|index|national&itmt=1616238832683

As a child, Bryant tortured and killed animals and tormented his younger sister.

Given an air rifle by father Maurice, Bryant would shoot birds and watch them drop to the ground, only to approach the birds again and pump more slugs into their bodies.

The other kids dubbed him “silly Martin, no sense, no feeling” for his blank expression and inability to communicate with his peers.

If he wasn’t carrying his rifle, it was his other most treasured possession, his speargun.

Around the age of 12, Martin Bryant featured on the nightly news after he set himself on fire.

Asked by a news reporter if he would do it again, a vacant-looking Bryant replied he would.

Bryant was assessed and was found to be possibly schizophrenic, and with a fascination with fire.

Anyone else notice a flaw in the channel 7 program.

They start off by telling us Milat just dumped bodies in the bush and covered them with branches. The program doesn’t mention Milat burying any victims.
Suddenly episode two is all about “buried secrets”
Does anyone know why Milat left the bodies on the surface? (a clue, Milat is a hunter)

Anyone else notice a flaw in the channel 7 program.

They start off by telling us Milat just dumped bodies in the bush and covered them with branches. The program doesn’t mention Milat burying any victims.
Suddenly episode two is all about “buried secrets”
Does anyone know why Milat left the bodies on the surface? (a clue, Milat is a hunter)

This program is called 'Ivan Milats Buried secrets'. Last week it was, too.

They haven't really come up with anything new... Found other victims (female x 2) who got away.

Suggested he killed/hunted when his personal relationships collapsed... This point has been brought up before in books/tv docos.

Mention drone mapping at start then an hour in ... Nothing further on it!

Last edited:
This program is called 'Ivan Milats Buried secrets'. Last week it was, too.

They haven't really come up with anything new... Found other victims (female x 2) who got away.

Suggested he killed/hunted when his personal relationships collapsed... This point has been brought up before in books/tv docos.

Mention drone mapping at start then an hour in ... Nothing further on it!
yeah nothing new. ep2 really bored me

Here's an interesting podcast of an interview with the ballistics expert who examined the bullets at the Belanglo scenes. He makes a good case for why he believes there was two shooters.

It’s an interesting podcast for its information. I’m not sure it can’t be explained though, on the basis that Milat was already unusual in using multiple different methods to kill people, so why wouldn’t he possibly use different guns and ammunition. He was already a bit of an anomaly in his variety of killing techniques.

Nonetheless I think it’s highly likely he had an accomplice. The confession from his lawyer is very compelling.

It’s an interesting podcast for its information. I’m not sure it can’t be explained though, on the basis that Milat was already unusual in using multiple different methods to kill people, so why wouldn’t he possibly use different guns and ammunition. He was already a bit of an anomaly in his variety of killing techniques.

Nonetheless I think it’s highly likely he had an accomplice. The confession from his lawyer is very compelling.

Caroline Clarke was shot ten times with two different weapons, to each side of the head and to the back of the head. Either Caroline was moved in between meaning the shots were fired and she was repositioned, shots fired and repositioned again and one more time, or the shooter/s were moving around the body shooting from different directions.

It's thought there was one shooter and one helper who was moving Caroline in between shots as all the spent cartridges were found roughly together in a very small area, including those from the semi-automatic Ruger which automatically ejects the cases. Had the shooter walked around the body to account for the angle of the shots, these spent cartridges in particular would have been scattered in different directions.

He concludes the shooter didn't move in placing all ten shots.

It's possible of course, that Milat shot then repositioned Waters and walked back to the same position to shoot again, if this seems a lot of extra work when he could have simply moved around her to take his shots.

Horrible thought, he may have forced Joanne Walters to reposition Caroline.

Caroline Clarke was shot ten times with two different weapons, to each side of the head and to the back of the head. Either Caroline was moved in between meaning the shots were fired and she was repositioned, shots fired and repositioned again and one more time, or the shooter/s were moving around the body shooting from different directions.

It's thought there was one shooter and one helper who was moving Caroline in between shots as all the spent cartridges were found roughly together in a very small area, including those from the semi-automatic Ruger which automatically ejects the cases. Had the shooter walked around the body to account for the angle of the shots, these spent cartridges in particular would have been scattered in different directions.

He concludes the shooter didn't move in placing all ten shots.

It's possible of course, that Milat shot then repositioned Waters and walked back to the same position to shoot again, if this seems a lot of extra work when he could have simply moved around her to take his shots.

Horrible thought, he may have forced Joanne Walters to reposition Caroline.
I don’t disagree with the assessment, but I can absolutely see Milat moving the body around himself or, yes, forcing Joanne to reposition Caroline.

Milat was exceptionally sadistic. The rape for which he was acquitted many years prior already demonstrated that, as did what happened to the many backpacker murder victims. This was a guy who, IMO, got off on playing games with the victims and being as brutal as possible. I have always imagined a guy grinning manically as he forced the victims to do things and then taunted and perhaps even played a bit with the bodies after death. Obviously just my imagination, but it is drawn from the information we have about what he did and what he was like.

He was certainly more than capable of overpowering two people. I think he absolutely got off on the power of being able to do that.

The number of bullets used to kill, whether one or two people involved, is literal overkill, and that too means it wouldn’t surprise me if he was messing around with the bodies after death for his own sick enjoyment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back