Analysis The big four

Remove this Banner Ad

I was just looking at the ladder on the phone and couldn't find "the big four". Anyone else know where they've gone?

26b973a9f26c256133d161c604895817.jpg

Last edited:
I was just looking at the ladder and couldn't find them. Anyone else know where they've gone?
26b973a9f26c256133d161c604895817.jpg

I'm not sure who the Big 4 are.

Maybe the Big 4 win a lot of premierships, but Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton & Richmond have won 2 premierships between them in the last 20 years.

True fact.

The Big 4, the imaginary group of 4 teams who think memberships and crowd attendances should be celebrated like premierships.

I'm not sure who the Big 4 are.

Maybe the Big 4 win a lot of premierships, but Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton & Richmond have won 2 premierships between them in the last 20 years.

True fact.

In terms of flags won the Big Four is Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn.

4th and 5th from the looks of things.

5th absolutely but Geelong is a mile off. Hawthorn's home games against West Coast (42,977) and Adelaide (45,789) out drew the marquee Geelong v Essendon fixture (42,723).

Last edited:
Referring to the the Blues, Pies, Bombers and Tiges as the "Big 4" is like calling the Doggies the reigning premiers.

Sure, it might have been true once, but it was a long long time ago.

Referring to the the Blues, Pies, Bombers and Tiges as the "Big 4" is like calling the Doggies the reigning premiers.

Sure, it might have been true once, but it was a long long time ago.

Like when the world was covered in ice and Mammoths roamed the frozen wastelands. By the way, Collingwood won a heap of flags back then.

The big 4 in the modern age is a myth, it doesn't exist (or only in the imaginations of Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and above all, Richmond supporters).

There is no big 4 these days. There is a big one.
True, the big one. We could expand to a big 3 and include WC and Ade if we are feeling generous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The big 4 in the modern age is a myth, it doesn't exist (or only in the imaginations of Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and above all, Richmond supporters).

I have a big one every time we win a flag

Like when the world was covered in ice and Mammoths roamed the frozen wastelands. By the way, Collingwood won a heap of flags back then.
Only because the real animals were rebuilding after a war ;-)

Last edited:
Nothing to do with the OP but viewing the ladder like that also highlights that we have the lowest percentage of all the top 10 teams. Not an issue if we continue to win but reality suggests we'd do well to enforce a little footy mayhem upon the rabble of Richmond and Freo in the next few weeks.

Lose against the Giants this week and we will most likely be tumbled out of the 8 on percentage. It's looming as a huge-stakes game.

Grameenphone? You must be roaming in bangladesh or thereabouts :)
Good pickup. Yep - i'm based over in Dhaka. Have been here for our last three premierships, but luckily was at the MCG for 2008. You travelled through here before?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back