Autopsy The good, the bad and the oh dear v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought we had plenty of intensity and effort today.. def an improvement.
My big take on today, was the game was lost between the 20min mark of the first qtr and 15 min of the 2nd qtr when st.kilda kicked 6 goals straight. Thought Xerri’s tap work during this period was atrocious, grabbing the ball or clubbing it to no one… not attempting to create any cohesion with the smaller midfielders. We put Larkey in the middle as our ruckman and he got us back on track. We have multiple coaches and Damien Monkhorst who need to tell X to cut the crap out and start working towards helping his team mates
Spot on

Hahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahha.

Some of the aints fans legitimately think that Wardlaw lined up Wilson.

Just have to ignore the multiple camera angles that show they both try and avoid taking each other out and swerve into each others paths.

Can anyone who was at the game describe or explain what happens when a team regains possession at our HF line ?

Seems every week it is 10-20m chips to free players, death of a thousand cuts type stuff all the way to HB and then we seem to flood back 15 inside D50 and they will still execute a half kick to 30m out from goal to a leading player in between 3 players.

Inexperienced/makeshift defence aside, is that what is happening at the ground or just what’s shown TV/kayo ? Be interested to hear what people are seeing

Arch, Hardeman, Goater and Bergman seems like the right mix of shut down and attack.
All of this.

I feel for Colby. The poor campaigner isn’t a defender and had moments today where he was on michito

I’d rather him on a wing straight up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I notice with Clarko is he always talks about the contest and how we weren’t good enough.

Sure it’s one part of it. But what about outside the contest? That’s where we really get opened up. We allow dozens and dozens of uncontested marks. Teams know to just switch the footy against us because we will allow it and let them transition to half forward by going around us. Wish a reporter would ask Clarko why that part of the game is so easy for the opposition.

• Xerri is ruining our mids. Absolutely cooking them, to the point they may as well not line up in the centre square. If I see him take another ball from the ruck and hack kick it straight to the opposition I will spew up. Or another brainless fist into the oblivion. The stat sheet flatters him so much, he is actively sabotaging our team and ruining our only competitive advantage. The worst part is we’re chips in with him for the next 5 years.
  • I know what Clarkson is trying to do (having his best ball users across half back like he did at Hawthorn), but i am 100% done with seeing McKercher in defence. We need competitiveness and strength back there. It’s a lamb to the slaughter whenever he’s forced to defend.
  • Stat of the day: Stephenson had more jumper changes in the first quarter than he had disposals. And finished the half with equal numbers in those two areas.
  • Wardlaw was epic. Looked at the stats post game and couldn’t believe he didn’t have more. But man, I feel so sorry for him. The smother to CZ overrunning the ball summed it up.
  • Pending how he pulls up, we have to persist with Archer. Brings a competitiveness we just don’t have otherwise.
  • Our team defence is absolutely horrific. No organisation. Not even just on turnover, but on slow ball movement as well. Uncontested marks in the 50m should never ever happen with slow ball movement, yet happens all too often with us.

Last edited:
One thing I notice with Clarko is he always talks about the contest and how we weren’t good enough.

Sure it’s one part of it. But what about outside the contest? That’s where we really get opened up. We allow dozens and dozens of uncontested marks. Teams know to just switch the footy against us because we will allow it and let them transition to half forward by going around us. Wish a reporter would ask Clarko why that part of the game is so easy for the opposition.
Early doors before Xerri went all ****ing ben Hudson on us we dominated the contest and stoppages.

He starts taking shit out of the ruck and trying to be a ****ing hero and our mix got ****ed. Multiple goals to the opposition were the result

• Xerri is ruining our mids. Absolutely cooking them, to the point they may as well not line up in the centre square. If I see him take another ball from the ruck and hack kick it straight to the opposition I will spew up. Or another brainless fist into the oblivion. The stat sheet flatters him so much, he is actively sabotaging our team and ruining our only competitive advantage. The worst part is we’re chips in with him for the next 5 years.
  • I know what Clarkson is trying to do (having his best ball users across half back like he did at Hawthorn), but i am 100% done with seeing McKercher in defence. We need competitiveness and strength back there. It’s a lamb to the slaughter whenever he’s forced to defend.
  • Stat of the day: Stephenson had more jumper changes in the first quarter than he had disposals. And finished the half with equal numbers in those two areas.
  • Wardlaw was epic. Looked at the stats post game and couldn’t believe he didn’t have more. But man, I feel so sorry for him. The smother to CZ overrunning the ball summed it up.
  • Pending how he pulls up, we have to persist with Archer. Brings a competitiveness we just don’t have otherwise.
  • Our team defence is absolutely horrific. No organisation. Not even just on turnover, but on slow ball movement as well. Uncontested marks in the 50m should never ever happen with slow ball movement, yet happens all too often with us.
well said

Can anyone who was at the game describe or explain what happens when a team regains possession at our HF line ?

Seems every week it is 10-20m chips to free players, death of a thousand cuts type stuff all the way to HB and then we seem to flood back 15 inside D50 and they will still execute a half kick to 30m out from goal to a leading player in between 3 players.

Inexperienced/makeshift defence aside, is that what is happening at the ground or just what’s shown TV/kayo ? Be interested to hear what people are seeing

We just don't work hard enough to prevent uncontested options all the way up the field. It takes a lot of sprinting to keep up and our players don't do it. Aside from a guy who's played 8 games.

Screenshot_20240505-075255.png

The guys played well, however (I don’t mean to harp on about it) i think this was despite team selection and player positioning. Again.
The few things folks on Bigfooty have been screaming for (Archer included, another tall in the forward line just as two examples even though Pink was sub wtf) made us immediately better.

Again, why is it up to a hotdog scoffing oik like me to have these ideas when we’re paying people millions of dollars to notice themselves?

Anyway, we looked better, but that’s possibly inevitable given how good Wardlaw and co. are becoming. I just hope these guys are supported & given their best opportunity to thrive.

(In a couple of years if this is still happening, I’ll be saying “literally anyone could’ve been coach of Jordan and Pippen in the 90’s and had a pretty good team.. It starts to reflect poorly on how they’re being played/supported if they don’t become a great team. We’ll see).

Surely was the last straw for Fisher in the backline. From what I saw McKercher was great but also shouldn't be deep in defence!

Thought it was by far our best performance of the year behind the Freo game. Credit to Clarko for accepting the feedback.

Sheezel to midfield, Archer & Hardeman genuine defenders, Scott to a wing, Mckercher to Sheezel role.

The combination of these changes + our senior players performing to an acceptable standard is why we looked so much better.

Wasn’t just going to magically turn and we’d start winning games immediately, but if they persist with this setup, with a couple more tweaks (Pink as CHF?), the wins will come. I’m certain.

Actually shocked how many people are suggesting Colby isn’t played in the back half. He’s had by far his best two games. Showed he is very capable of playing Harry’s role. Gives us something a little different to Harry as well because he is just so penetrating. He’s also not ready to play mid yet.

Give him the keys, he will have a great year and grow in confidence like Harry.

Because IF we are good enough in the contest to win posession of the ball, all that outside opposition stuff becomes obsolete, however, if and when we turn it over, the punishment on the outside is usually severe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back