Food & Drink The Hangar Beer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I forgot, i'm preaching to the wrong crowd in here!

hands up, whos ever mowed a lawn before?
I'm literally in the lawn mowing industry.

Let me quantify...

I like beer, I like wheat beer, I like an ipa, I like the odd stout, I like sampling different local beers wherever I may roam

Every time and place has its accompanying beer. A perfect match.

When its hot, dry and dusty, and you have just busted your balls doing a menial task.. That is the time and place made for the ice cold VB.

they made the ads to match the moment, not the other way around :p
Any satisfaction that an ice-cold VB can deliver in that scenario, myriad other beers can deliver better because they don't taste like arse.

If a beer needs to be one degree to be drinkable, then it ain't worth it.

unbelievable! eth.. blasphemy..

ok, i'm going to tell it how it is.

There are plenty of great beers around, and I have sampled many

but I challenge anyone.. anyone! to find a better beer, ice cold, straight out of the spare fridge in the garage, to crack after you have mowed the lawn on a windy, dusty, hot, 35 degree summers day.. than a VB stubbie.

its not possible.

not talking sessions, not talking food matching - im talking pure refreshment.

VB is actually my favourite beer. I understand its not the best beer. But it is my favourite. The most reliable drink in the world.

Any satisfaction that an ice-cold VB can deliver in that scenario, myriad other beers can deliver better because they don't taste like arse.

If a beer needs to be one degree to be drinkable, then it ain't worth it.

I guess an ice cold coke could deliver the same refreshment, but it doesn't have that lip smacking morish flavor and the knowledge a few more and you might feel a little pissed ;)

I know it lacks body, lacks finish, lacks most things but it reminds me of me pa, and all the older men in my life when I was a kid, doing the hard yards and getting said reward - im holding the baton for my ancestors -its my turn!

would you knock back a VB post event?

not sitting at a table in an alfresco roof top beer garden listening to jazz whist eating fig and roulade

If given one I'd knock it back without a problem, however I never have any at home so it's not really an option.

My modus operandi when I started drinking back in Mt Gambier was VB out of a stubbie or can, Carlton Draught out of a tap. That carried into my first few years in Adelaide. I then finished uni, got a wage and could all of a sudden afford better beers and haven't looked back. Then to galvanise things, around 2001 or so you could generally get a carton of premium beer on sale at the boozer for the same as VB and I don't think I've bought one since.

If given one I'd knock it back without a problem, however I never have any at home so it's not really an option.

My modus operandi when I started drinking back in Mt Gambier was VB out of a stubbie or can, Carlton Draught out of a tap. That carried into my first few years in Adelaide. I then finished uni, got a wage and could all of a sudden afford better beers and haven't looked back. Then to galvanise things, around 2001 or so you could generally get a carton of premium beer on sale at the boozer for the same as VB and I don't think I've bought one since.

my father in law brings a case around every visit, usually leaves a 6 pack when he leaves - I have no choice/I will not let it sit there undrank

In this thread about all things beer, Eth's main thoughts are about Pure Blonde and Corona.

Get out more ETH. I live in WA, albeit a region known for ******* good alcohol, but it doesn't have the rich tapestry you folks over there take for granted, and I still don't want to talk those 2 beers.

In this thread about all things beer, Eth's main thoughts are about Pure Blonde and Corona.

Get out more ETH. I live in WA, albeit a region known for ******* good alcohol, but it doesn't have the rich tapestry you folks over there take for granted, and I still don't want to talk those 2 beers.
In fairness, Howie is here extolling the virtues of VB. Eth ain't Robinson Crusoe here!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my go to lately.

View attachment 339225

$19 for 6 pints worth.
Found one of these yesterday! One of the perks of working down Caulfield way is all the little Euro shops, all sorts of interesting beers if you poke around.

It's a very pleasant Bavarian-style pilsner, well above your usual Eurolager nothing beers. Would very happily drink more - particularly at that price, which is a fair chunk less than I paid.

As far as session ales go, Coopers’ new number (in the blue bottle) goes okay.

Has a touch of the ubiquitous pale about it, but still also retains unmistakable Coopers yeast notes; overall, it’s a presentable drop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back