Movies & TV The Hangar Film Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dialogue, maybe. But he can't make a film for s**t.

Chasing Amy is almost a film and then it hits a point where it just blows itself up.
Clerks, Mallrats, Jersey Girl, Jay & Silent Bob... all rubbish.

Even Dogma isn't that great.
Does anyone feel the plot hole being talked about in The Dark Knight ruins the film?

For me, it does not at all and i think those writing about it online are really reaching for something to complain about.
What are people saying?

Clerks, Mallrats, Jersey Girl, Jay & Silent Bob... all rubbish.

Even Dogma isn't that great.What are people saying?
Clerks is wonderful. I loved Mallrats. Chasing Amy was great until about half way. Dogma was thoroughly enjoyable. Jersey Girl was ******* s**t.

People are saying the scene where Batman crashes his own party to save Maggie Gyllenhaal is flawed cos he never goes back and saves the party goers. The scene ends as soon as he saves her and that’s it.

That was something people bitched about in 2008. The film provides an answer when, well, the next time you see Joker he's not still at the party. It's a dunderheaded criticism borne from a "critical" community obsessed with plot holes and mechanics without understanding them. Or understanding that plot is just devices, not the actual point of what you should be engaging with a film for.

hahaha

But yeah, TDK kinda sits outside the genre as, well, a proper film. As does its trilogy stablemates. It'll endure better than any of them, and actually deserve it unlike Donner's Superman which has a great epic vibe but never delivers on its promise after Superman first saves Lois. Nolan took Donner's approach and perfected it by crafting stories to match the grandiose and spectacular absurdity of the premise.

Watched Ready Player One last night. OMG so much 80's nostalgia. I felt like pausing it at times just to get a closer look at some of the stuff that was strategically lying around in the backgrounds.

I still havnt seen it.

Recommend?

It was good if you're in the mood for a Spielberg type film. Our usual rule is anything over a 7 on imdb gets a watch and this was sitting on 7.6. If you're of the era that had an Atari 2600 when you were a kid there's a bit more there for you.
That's my rule too.

although, for action movies, its adjusted to high 5's or 6's. They tend to get poor ratings for dumb reasons like character depth or storytelling; that's not s**t I worry about when I'm considering watching Liam Neeson in a Taken remake, but on a train.

Last edited:
That's my rule too.

although, for action movies, its adjusted to high 5's or 6's. They tend to get poor ratings for dumb reasons like character depth or storytelling; that's not s**t I worry about when I'm considering watching Liam Nielson in a Taken remake, but on a train.
That makes a lot of sense actually. Might have to adjust the rule to account for that.

Case in point, and it didn't end up mattering because of Ready Player One's 7.6, but the other film in the mix was Pacific Rim 2. I would normally immediately discount it due to it's 5.7 rating. Perhaps I should give it a shot since I didn't mind the first one as a life diversion for 90 minutes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was something people bitched about in 2008. The film provides an answer when, well, the next time you see Joker he's not still at the party. It's a dunderheaded criticism borne from a "critical" community obsessed with plot holes and mechanics without understanding them. Or understanding that plot is just devices, not the actual point of what you should be engaging with a film for.

People still whine about how Bruce was able to get back onto the island that Gotham becomes in TDKR, like it devalues everything else in the film.

The first and obvious response I saw to that critcism is still the best for logical and mytholigical reasons. "Because he is ******* Batman"

I'm going to try and talk wifey into watching Lawrence of Arabia tonight. One of those films I've never seen but feel I should. 3 hours 48 is a hard sell though even for something with dragons and s**t much less something set in the real world 100 odd years ago.

Sheesh I dont remember that being the running time. I swear the version I saw was shorter but I could be wrong.

Definitely felt like a 4 hour movie though.............

It was good if you're in the mood for a Spielberg type film. Our usual rule is anything over a 7 on imdb gets a watch and this was sitting on 7.6. If you're of the era that had an Atari 2600 when you were a kid there's a bit more there for you.
We might adopt your rule. Our film watching has dropped off because there are 4 or 5 of us, all with different ideas of what is "good" and it is impossible to agree before the kids slope off to watch their own rubbish in their rooms. Will try for Lawrence of Arabia though attention spans are much shorter in the emerging generation.

So Mission: Impossible - Fallout is delightfully bonkers. Heavy, heavy Nolan influence. This is a good thing. Interesting that two of the premier spy franchises have borrowed so heavily from him to immense success. Now we just need someone to fix the Bourne franchise and we'll be all good.

We might adopt your rule. Our film watching has dropped off because there are 4 or 5 of us, all with different ideas of what is "good" and it is impossible to agree before the kids slope off to watch their own rubbish in their rooms. Will try for Lawrence of Arabia though attention spans are much shorter in the emerging generation.
Oh boy you're a brave man even trying to get kids to sit through Lawrence. My guess is they'd last half an hour if you're lucky. Wifey slept through a fair whack of it.:rolleyes:

Watched 3 billboards tonight. Interesting little film.

Oh boy you're a brave man even trying to get kids to sit through Lawrence. My guess is they'd last half an hour if you're lucky. Wifey slept through a fair whack of it.:rolleyes:

Watched 3 billboards tonight. Interesting little film.
yeah, Lawrence could be a step too far. We had a bit of a battle with The King's Speech. 3 Billboards would work though.

So Mission: Impossible - Fallout is delightfully bonkers. Heavy, heavy Nolan influence. This is a good thing. Interesting that two of the premier spy franchises have borrowed so heavily from him to immense success. Now we just need someone to fix the Bourne franchise and we'll be all good.

How would you compare it to the previous films?
Going to see it Saturday cant wait.

I'd rank em 6>4>5/1>3>2

I know that's wishy-washy but 4/5/1 are all on a real par IMO. The first one holds up brilliantly except for the helicopter shenanigans. I give the edge to 4 because Bird is (mostly) a ******* genius with such a wonderful light touch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back