The hangar fish tank thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Anybody out there running a home fish tank?

Initially we got some fish to teach the kids about the cycle of life ( fish come and go pretty quick )

But I've kind of become a bit addicted to it. It's more work than I thought keeping everything clean and....alive but it's worthwhile.

I look at it like a little creek or river bed, trying to make a lifelike environment with plants and rocks...no tiki towers or anything.

I'm pretty amatuer so am keen for any advice

Running a cold water tank, ATM have a big black moor that dominates everything, he's trebled in size since I got it.

Got a few white clouds, they are bomb proof!! Live through anything.

And a few tetras, not sure what they are but they are see thru, the black widow ones never made it.

Also just bought two shubunjin, kids call them army fish cause they have mixed Camo colours.

I have a yabby in the bottom keeping everything on its toes...or fins.

Have had mixed luck with rosy barb's, sucking catfish ect but have a good mix ATM.

Tank got real cloudy last week, i thought they'd all die..I put a few algae bloom drops in and it cleared up over night.

Happy days.

IMG_20170917_114024-1587x979.jpg

Any fish tankers?

Anybody out there running a home fish tank?

Initially we got some fish to teach the kids about the cycle of life ( fish come and go pretty quick )

But I've kind of become a bit addicted to it. It's more work than I thought keeping everything clean and....alive but it's worthwhile.

I look at it like a little creek or river bed, trying to make a lifelike environment with plants and rocks...no tiki towers or anything.

I'm pretty amatuer so am keen for any advice

Running a cold water tank, ATM have a big black moor that dominates everything, he's trebled in size since I got it.

Got a few white clouds, they are bomb proof!! Live through anything.

And a few tetras, not sure what they are but they are see thru, the black widow ones never made it.

Also just bought two shubunjin, kids call them army fish cause they have mixed Camo colours.

I have a yabby in the bottom keeping everything on its toes...or fins.

Have had mixed luck with rosy barb's, sucking catfish ect but have a good mix ATM.

Tank got real cloudy last week, i thought they'd all die..I put a few algae bloom drops in and it cleared up over night.

Happy days.

View attachment 417043

Any fish tankers?
I'm a wannabe fish tanker. Haven't quite got there yet. I keep on at the other half about it.

I admire the one in the Railway hotel Fitzroy. Looks like theyve plonked a fish tank where the heater and/or aircon unit used to to be. Surrounded by dark plywood.
Retro lovely.

I gave this tank to the missus when we first moved in together... 14 years ago. It began as a fish death-trap for a few months before we sorted out the pH etc. Since then it's been very low maintenance. We had a goldfish live for about 6 years. Moors are a bit fragile. Best I got out of them is maybe 2 years. That particular fella (we called him Jung after the depth psychologist) actually changed colour from black to orange. I change 2/3 of the water every couple of months (they suggest doing it far more often) and it seems to work OK. Clean the filter more often though. I can get way with feeding only 3-4 times/week as well.

IMG_6238.JPG

I didn't know we had this thread until it came up in the similar threads under the drunk tank.

:think:

Any updates Howard Moon?

to be honest... its been a constant battle!!

I had things pretty stable for a while, I brought some plants from the fish shops in coburg, few weeks later, some green slime appeared on them, obviously they infiltrated my tank with their muck.. now I just cant get rid of it, ive had three tank flushes, new plants, all the rest of it, give it a few week and the green comes back.

the fish are fine with it, but im not, it makes me look like a bad parent...

ive tried all the algae removers, all that jazz, its very persistent.

I know I probably have to take it all out and rinse the rocks but I don't want to start from fresh, I know if good a good ph balance in there, takes ages to achieve that pefect eco culture in there.. I don't think my toilet can take the added flushes of a rebuild :/

I had things pretty stable for a while, I brought some plants from the fish shops in coburg, few weeks later, some green slime appeared on them, obviously they infiltrated my tank with their muck.. now I just cant get rid of it, ive had three tank flushes, new plants, all the rest of it, give it a few week and the green comes back.

I know I probably have to take it all out and rinse the rocks but I don't want to start from fresh, I know if good a good ph balance in there, takes ages to achieve that pefect eco culture in there.. I don't think my toilet can take the added flushes of a rebuild :/
Embrace the green.

If its getting natural sunlight it is no good for algae. There are fish that munch on it...bristle nose cats go (tropical) ok but not sure about cold water tanks. There are shrimps that can control it to. Constant problem though. Regular water changes help. Green algae looks better than brown or red too! I have had some ripper tanks over my time...love the landscaped ones with lots of plants. Set one up in my kids room a few years ago but he was slack looking after it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back