Food & Drink The Hangar Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone have any experience with air fryers?
Good for reheating Pizza. I put some foil on the crusts, give it a few minutes (about 5-7 , can vary depending on the pizza itself). Very quick makes the pizza crispy again, had it around 160C too hot and I find it cooks/dries it out a little too much

Doesn't the cheese drip off and burn?
it can yes, the pizza I generally use isn't too cheesy.

In that case I sit it on some foil or baking paper, leaving some room around the edges for the air to flow around still

people reheat pizza?

#cold
I could never stand cold pizza. If that was the choice probably the bin.

People eat pizza!

#yuck

I don't like a lot of cheap pizzas. Local pizza place has (generally) very good pizza though..

Last edited:
Yo-yo biscuits with butter/marge (whichever takes your fancy). Every time i have it i wonder why i dont have it more often. Such a simple tasty snack
Can you buy yoyos outside SA? Used to be made by Menz, office in Wakefield St...seems a life time ago.

Arnotts now, used to be Menz back in the day

I just remember this ad from when I was a kid hence me saying Arnotts. I learned something today, I didn't know they were once Menz and certainly didn't know they were an SA thing.

Bad luck folks, you're missing out! None of the other "plain" biscuits (such as milk arrowroot) compare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm so, this thread. Anyone here got experience with (good) vegan/vegetarian food? Got a friend who just went vegan and I can't quite get my head around the idea; I tried some of her vegan food (which is to say vegan nuggets and some other highly processed things), wasn't overly impressed. But I'm sure there's better out there?

Hmm so, this thread. Anyone here got experience with (good) vegan/vegetarian food? Got a friend who just went vegan and I can't quite get my head around the idea; I tried some of her vegan food (which is to say vegan nuggets and some other highly processed things), wasn't overly impressed. But I'm sure there's better out there?
There isn't. The diet also negatively impacts your footy. Vegetarianism i get. No eggs? That's just crazy.

There isn't. The diet also negatively impacts your footy. Vegetarianism i get. No eggs? That's just crazy.
I'm talking about individual recipes, not a vegan diet in general. For example, churros with dark chocolate goes alright. Last time I saw her we went to San Churros because it was appropriate for her and edible for me :p

I'm talking about individual recipes, not a vegan diet in general. For example, churros with dark chocolate goes alright. Last time I saw her we went to San Churros because it was appropriate for her and edible for me :p
How about Indian curries? They are often vegetarian.
I like a good Saag Paneer (spinach and cheese) or daal / chickpea curry if dairy is off the menu.

They sell paneer in Coles, I usually fry it with garlic as it can be a bit tasteless. You can use this to cheat in this Jamie Oliver recipe too http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/saag-paneer

Me too :p

Had a friend that was some sort of pseudo-vegan pescatarian, found that Mexican style food was always easy/tastiest when we had them for dinner.
What does Mexican look like without meat? The only thing that comes to mind is nachos no cheese or sour cream hot corn chips with salsa :| I guess there'd be meat substitutes for tacos/enchiladas/quesedillas/fajitas/etc. but there's something about 'fake meat' that seems sort of odd to me. Bean dip is yum though :thumbsu:

How about Indian curries? They are often vegetarian.
I like a good Saag Paneer (spinach and cheese) or daal / chickpea curry if dairy is off the menu.

They sell paneer in Coles, I usually fry it with garlic as it can be a bit tasteless. You can use this to cheat in this Jamie Oliver recipe too http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/saag-paneer
I like the sound of Saag Paneer :) On wikipedia it looks like stewed leaves but I imagine it'd be better than that. It reminds me of spinach and ricotta, which is a pretty classic combination. I've never had good chickpea anything. Not even hommus. :/

What does Mexican look like without meat? The only thing that comes to mind is nachos no cheese or sour cream hot corn chips with salsa :| I guess there'd be meat substitutes for tacos/enchiladas/quesedillas/fajitas/etc. but there's something about 'fake meat' that seems sort of odd to me. Bean dip is yum though :thumbsu:

I like the sound of Saag Paneer :) On wikipedia it looks like stewed leaves but I imagine it'd be better than that. It reminds me of spinach and ricotta, which is a pretty classic combination. I've never had good chickpea anything. Not even hommus. :/
In the Asian section of the supermarket they often have a pretty good packet version, it is not very expensive (about $3) and you will know quickly if you like the basic flavours without wasting the cooking effort on your first go.
http://shop.coles.com.au/online/mobile/national/maharajahs-choice-paneer-palak-ready-meal

Also, I'm not a massive fan of chickpeas generally but hommus is yum! Dahl curry uses lentils and they aren't as floury as chickpeas, that may be another option.

Last edited:
One of my daughters went vegan 12 months ago - it's tough!
Lots of curries with vegetables and chick peas (I don't mind chickpea curries) and also dahls
Burritos, Mexican bean salads
Thai curries are difficult because you have to exclude fish sauce and shrimp paste
Pesto with a 'Parmesan cheese' we make out of nuts and nutritional yeast
Vegan cheese is awful and doesn't melt
Puttanesca without the anchovies is ok
Risottos without cheese can be ok
I am allowed to make beef stews and cacciatore etc. with half meat and half potatoes and she doesn't mind me fishing out the meat from hers
but if I do a roast I am not allowed to make the gravy in the same pan the meat has been roasting in (I don't ask lol)
Lots of avocado on toast
My daughter likes the vegan snitzels you get in the frozen food section (quorn or frys i think)
We make a ratatouille type thing but with egplant and potatoes added to the zucchini, tomatoes and onion and bake with breadcrumbs in the oven
Made an apple and blackberry pie the other night where I substituted a vegan type margarine for lard and butter in the pastry and some reasonable vegan ice cream you can get from the supermarket
We are still chasing recipes (when I can be bothered - it's not fun)

For treats there is a nice vegan bakery in ascot vale we visit when in Melb but it's bloody expensive - mister nice guys

There's some great vegan chocolate (from Germany I think) that we picked up in Brunswick street but I can't remember what it's called - also pretty expensive

Good luck with the friend!

Last edited:

I dislike anything that isn't the thing it's pretending to be. Worst thing i ever tried to eat was a "vegan sausage", a flavorless rod of presumably chickpea flour that sapped my mouth of all moisture for about half and hour. I seriously couldn't salivate and had to keep drinking fluid the whole time.

I was thinking mostly beans and corn dishes for the Mexican, cheeseless tortilla stacks... that kind of thing.

Apparently pineapple curry goes alright. I've seen a couple of recipes online and in books, and Jamie Oliver made one on one of his shows from his younger days. I've never made one though, gotta give the man meat!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back